Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need diagnostics help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need diagnostics help

So if you watch the short video there is this high pitched whining noise. It really sounds like its coming from the passenger side while I'm driving. I initially thought it was the rear but wanted to ask you guys first to be sure.

Anyone know exactly what this is?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Fuel pump, probably.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Fuel pump, probably.
Seems likely. OP, you said "when driving." Wit the car off(as well as radio and A/C), when you cycle the key on, the fuel pump should cycle on for ~3 seconds then off. You would likely hear the same noise then, if the fuel pump. Also is it present when idling and not /driving/? In that case, get under the car and see if it is louder.

It occurs to me that I have heard regulators whine as they bleed pressure so that is a lesser possibility.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

It only happens while driving, not at idle.

Happens only at highway speeds sometimes and the noise increases as the speed of the car increases.

My fuel pump doesn't make any noises while I turn the key to cycle it.

Also, the noise comes after hard acceleration and sometimes only the highway after I hit a bump it will start whining.

If I am driving and the whining is there and I come to a stop, the whining stops. If I start driving again after that the whining doesn't come back.

Thanks for the reply guys.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
It only happens while driving, not at idle.

Happens only at highway speeds sometimes and the noise increases as the speed of the car increases.

My fuel pump doesn't make any noises while I turn the key to cycle it.

Also, the noise comes after hard acceleration and sometimes only the highway after I hit a bump it will start whining.

If I am driving and the whining is there and I come to a stop, the whining stops. If I start driving again after that the whining doesn't come back.

Thanks for the reply guys.
Okay, after throwing your audio through a FFT, the sound that your car is making is primarily between 1.5-1.6 kHz. Here are simple 1.5 and 1.6 kHz test tones for comparison (turn the volume DOWN):

Is the pitch of the noise speed or RPM dependent, and if so, which one?
Old 05-10-2016, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

If I am understanding your question correctly, the noise is speed dependent. I can rev the motor through different RPMs with no whine while stationary.

Also, the whine does not come in a specific RPM range, it varies.

As I pick up more speed, the whine gets louder.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
If I am understanding your question correctly, the noise is speed dependent. I can rev the motor through different RPMs with no whine while stationary.

Also, the whine does not come in a specific RPM range, it varies.

As I pick up more speed, the whine gets louder.
When you rev the motor while stationary, is the clutch in neutral and your foot off the pedal?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

driveshaft carrier bearing
Old 05-10-2016, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
driveshaft carrier bearing
+1 based off of description of speed variance. Something drivetrain related lol
Old 05-10-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

When I have my girlfriend riding with me, there is sometimes a whining sound that increases with speed when she feels I am "embarrassing her." But sounds like it is drivetrain if speed related and not RPM related. So at low load and just cruising at high speed in overdrive(low RPM), is the sound at higher presence?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could it be a wheel bearing?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by demang
Could it be a wheel bearing?
She doesn't carry many bearings in her purse...usually.

Kidding aside, possibly. But seems like that would aim at a specific corner. Dang. Might even be a slight brake indicator. What about a draggy e-brake shoe? What *doesn't* make noise on a car?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking wheel bearing, too.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That almost has the same pitch of a carrier squeal, but is lacking the quick pulsing effect that typically comes with carrier squeal... The video is very brake squeal reminiscent...
Old 05-11-2016, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
That almost has the same pitch of a carrier squeal, but is lacking the quick pulsing effect that typically comes with carrier squeal... The video is very brake squeal reminiscent...
Also the fact that the noise goes away after using the brakes.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Fuzzy, to answer your question I have tried with both clutch pressed and not pressed. Both have made no noise with revving the motor.

I don't think it is a wheel bearing because that is more like a slight grinding noise this is more of a high pitched whining.

I'm really leaning toward the carrier bearing on this.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I've never heard a carrier bearing go, so I don't know what that sounds like. I think I know the sound of failing CV joints and wheel bearings well enough to rule them out.

Barring the possibility that this is from a carrier bearing, I think the next most likely suspects are the Getrag differential followed by a bearing connected to the output shaft of the T56. I've heard older Mercedes-Benz RWD cars making a similar sound.

One way to narrow down the suspects is to put the car on a lift and get someone to run the car in drive while you listen underneath. Granted, it's not the safest thing to do, but I've done it a number of times on jackstands supplemented by hydraulic jacks under the skirts.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Find a wide road, like 2-3 lanes. When the noise is happening, veer back and forth doing esses across the road, moderate aggression. If the noise changes/goes away as you go back and forth, I'd lean towards a wheel bearing. That is the typical procedure for road diagnosing that particular item. That said, usually a wheel bearing is more like a humming or growling but it's an easy way to rule it out. Carrier bearing also strikes me as a likely candidate.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My carrier bearing sounded just like that. It only happened at highway speeds, and was an instant on noise. I'd be driving along, and usually a drivetrain shock or bump in the road would flip on the noise. Once squealing, it would vary slightly in pitch and volume with speed, and had no tie to RPM, clutch in/out. Often times it would stop after I slowed down enough and might not kick back in until later in the same trip.

My ultimate solution was a new bearing from Voodoo. My temp solution was generous amounts of silicone spray lubricant.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fweasel
My carrier bearing sounded just like that. It only happened at highway speeds, and was an instant on noise. I'd be driving along, and usually a drivetrain shock or bump in the road would flip on the noise. Once squealing, it would vary slightly in pitch and volume with speed, and had no tie to RPM, clutch in/out. Often times it would stop after I slowed down enough and might not kick back in until later in the same trip.

My ultimate solution was a new bearing from Voodoo. My temp solution was generous amounts of silicone spray lubricant.
Exactly this, same thing occurring. I guess I've found my answer.

How much did it cost you to get this fixed overall?

Quick Reply: Need diagnostics help