Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

lost radio volume and dash data

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lost radio volume and dash data

i did some minor searching and came up blank on this.

I was driving this weekend and lost all volume on the radio, as well as gas gauge, coolent temp, trans temp, and other data on the radio and dash. the security lock also came on. i drove for a bit. shut her down and when i got going again it was back. then later in the day it happened again and came back in the middle of driving. I unplugged my aeroforce gauge in case that was screwing with the odb2 port but i have never had issues before. with radio volume off i could still see the stations and it was picking up song data.

could it be a ground? a ecm or bcm connection?

i also have a aux port that ties in to the XM could that be screwing with it?

Ken
Old 05-30-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Either your battery or alternator is taking a ****. Check em both.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Battery is pretty new. Last year. car cranks fine. I suppose I can go after the alternator ave. It didn't seem to have voltage issues. I guess I cam pull it and get it checked.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigti99a
Battery is pretty new. Last year. car cranks fine. I suppose I can go after the alternator ave. It didn't seem to have voltage issues. I guess I cam pull it and get it checked.

Any other thoughts?
Yes start checking your ground wires and check the wire going to the starter make sure it didn't get melted on the header
Old 05-31-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a weird grounding issue to me too. Could be the rear ground in the trunk. I forget exactly where it is, but removing the trunk panels should be easy enough.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok so there is a ground on the front bumper support right? back of both heads? hood hinge area? and trunk?

am i wrong about any of these or missing any more?

time to get some star washers and get the wire brush out.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The classII information is probably being disrupted by the gauge.

If it runs off the OBD port it needs to load the data line correctly or reflections cause **** to happen or not happen.

All of the stuff you mention (including the radio volume control!) is classII stuff.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had it on there for months with no issues. i was thinking if the thing went bad it could screw with that ****. i am going to leave it off and see what happens.

I also still would like to know all common grounding points so i still take the time to check them all. let me know if i am missing one.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had it on there for months with no issues. i was thinking if the thing went bad it could screw with that ****. i am going to leave it off and see what happens.

I also still would like to know all common grounding points so i still take the time to check them all. let me know if i am missing one.
It doesn't take much "trash" on the data line for the classII to cough and puke.

The good news is that it does recover (usually) but you may have to turn off the ignition and back on to do a "cold boot".
Old 06-02-2016, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

had a moment tonight to go for a drive with the odb2 gauge off watching the volts. everything was fine. i pulled 1st gear and then boom it jogged something loose and was able to duplicate the issue. got home and shut the car off. the radio screen stayed on even after key was out and door was open. started back up and stayed errored. let it sit for 10min. put the key in accessory and it was back to normal reading all the class 2 data and no security lock. took the key out and the screen went off.

i am going to rip into grounds and electrical **** this weekend and pray i am the blind squirrel who finds a nut.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

just pulled the battery, cleaned up the grounds by the hood support, below the fuse box, on the pass head, and 2 in the trunk. added star lock washers to them. i was having issues getting to the bolt on the drivers side head. also disconnected and reconnected the radio harness in front of the shifter. car started and had all data, we'll see shortly how it holds up as i go for a drive with some 1-2-3 pulls.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

thought I had it yesterday. did fine on a spirited cruise. come to work today its fine. pull out for lunch and it came back.

if its a loose connector or wire what kids of circuits are associated with the class 2 data?

next time i can i will have it jacked up up and crawl under her. just trying to find a good starting point.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

thought I had it yesterday. did fine on a spirited cruise. come to work today its fine. pull out for lunch and it came back.

if its a loose connector or wire what kids of circuits are associated with the class 2 data?

next time i can i will have it jacked up up and crawl under her. just trying to find a good starting point.
Almost all the electrical is class II.

What happens (at least what I found in fooling with it) is that if you add anything to the class II data line, it has to be terminated correctly.

This doesn't mean soldering, but the termination resistor on the line to reduce reflections.

If the Aerogauge has any electronics sitting on the line, disconnect it.

Also, look for any "short" from the data line to ground.

Read page 4 of this link

http://www.autophix.com/reference/obdii_network.pdf
Old 06-07-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i guess an additional questions is the ECU still seeing this data? so am i risking anything driving the car, sometimes hard, if i am confident the tune is good etc.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Losing the classII communication won't screw up your tune although your car may come to a halt.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

new wrinkle is i saw a little fluid trail in my parking spot. checked all fluid levels and everything looked good. fired it up while on jack stands and a waterfall of oil from the filter. mother ****** backed out a bit. i screwed it back on and all is well with it now. i have never had that happen. which would make sense as i smelled oil burning the other day and was hoping i didnt break it.

now there is oil residue from the oilpan to the back and all through the trans tunnel. so now its time to get it up and clean the **** out of everything. i am praying after a good cleaning the data issue fixes itself. i am not sure if its related but this has been a giant pain in the freaking ***. this is the season i get to drive the car and i hate dealing with issues instead of out playing.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have had the harness in front of the shifter unplugged for days now. I haven't had the issue. Is the head unit the only thing on that connector? The aeroforce is giving me data with no issues. Voltage looks great, always around 14.

Could a bad head unit be the cause? What is involved with programming one if I buy a factory replacement? And does anyone have a good factory unit local I could maybe borrow?

Its a damn shame as the buttons on mine are in perfect shape. If it wasn't for the data and warnings the unit displays I would just pop in an after market one.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

still fighting this. i unplugged the aux harness i have that feeds into the XM module thinking maybe that was the issue. i leave the connector in front of the shifter unplugged and the aeroforce reads data and never drops and i dont have the problem. i plug the head unit back in and with in a day or 2 i am having the issue. I see there are several connectors in the headunit. if i start to pull these is there one for data, audio, nav? i am missing having tunes when i am driving.

again i have zero issues with the headunit unpluged. i really dont want to jump on a $200-$400 replacement then pay the dealer to flash it to my car then still have the issue. i am still searching more info and opinions and am coming up empty.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

It may be the issue, from what I can tell, the communications does run through the factory head unit, so if your losing it there, you could be loosing it to your dash, and with the loss of volume control, it more points to that. I transferred my Parrot HU over to my V where I use Torque on it, it doesn't display everything that the factory did, such as door open and low fuel, but it can see a lot more about the parameters, something to look into, if not, I have seen a few threads where people used the CTS DIC with their aftermarket, I have been thinking about that, though, useless buttons annoy me personally

Quick Reply: lost radio volume and dash data