Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Battery Died and Sunroof stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Battery Died and Sunroof stopped working.

My car has sat off and on for stretches the last year and a half, and the last time it went totally dead, the alarm went off when I charged it up, and then the radio said 'theft attempted' and now my sunroof doesn't work. Everything else seems normal. Any ideas? Again I don't drive it much but I'd like to figure it out. I tried the relay under the back seat but that's the only related fuse/relay I saw for that function. Did I miss something?

Last edited by isis; 07-18-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Title looked stupid
Old 07-17-2016, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd try the PCM relearn procedure on it that you use whenever you need to reassign key info into the PCM whenever you swap them out.

It's easy and it doesn't cost anything...

I'm on the road for business so I don't have it with me but it should be easy enough to find.

Let us know where this goes...
Old 07-17-2016, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks I'll look into it. I thought it could be something related to the chassis controls. I can't find a fuse or relay issue. I have HP Tuners, can I use that to reset anything that might just be wonky?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:17 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Relink pcm to bcm that should help, its in the flash option
Old 07-17-2016, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn the sunroof **** to full open and then push the **** in and hold it. That should do the relearn. If it doesn't close, just hold the **** back in and it should close. After that it should start to work correctly.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can only push the **** in when it's in the closed position and there is no "relearn" procedure for it. pushing the **** in is supposed to reset it, but you're probably going to have to screw with it for a while before it gets to where you want it to.

mine works intermittently and sometimes i have to play around with the ****, turning and pushing it in, to make it do stuff. sometimes it does nothing no matter what i do so i leave it alone for a while and it comes back. the sunroof on this car really does have a mind of its own and does what it wants.

the best advice i can give is two things:

1) get it all the way open and clean the hell out of the tracks and relube them. then run it open and closed a hundred times and hope that it keeps working nicely.

2) if it's giving you hell play with it until it finally gets closed nicely and leave it the hell alone.

they're contradictory statements, but the sunroof controls on this car suck. being able to manually force the motor to move would be nice instead of letting the car brains work their magic, but apparently that was too easy for them to just go with it.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about yours but I can push the **** down in any position on mine. Every time the battery is out of the car my windows and sunroof stop working and you have to do the push and hold on both the sunroof and the windows so I would say yes there is a relearn procedure even if it's not published as such.

Cleaning the track won't do any good for a sunroof that is not working electrically. If you have issues with the sunroof acting up you can take the switch apart and clean it. There are 3 or so clear flexible discs with traces on them. I pulled those out, cleaned all the gunk off of them and put a little dielectric back in and now I have no more issues with the sunroof having a mind it's own.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've found that moving the switch to the tilt position and holding it there for about five seconds works to reset the position sensing system.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks people.

After reading your responses and my well documented issues with the damn dimmer switch, I thought I was in for a ghost hunt. It turns out that all I had to do was hold the **** in for a couple secs. (I think it was still in the closed position) it opened all the way on its own and worked like normal after that. So many gremlins with the module in that area. I just crossed 50k miles so I guess I'm fortunate to still be ignorant of what to do when it ***** out.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
I don't know about yours but I can push the **** down in any position on mine. Every time the battery is out of the car my windows and sunroof stop working and you have to do the push and hold on both the sunroof and the windows so I would say yes there is a relearn procedure even if it's not published as such.

Cleaning the track won't do any good for a sunroof that is not working electrically. If you have issues with the sunroof acting up you can take the switch apart and clean it. There are 3 or so clear flexible discs with traces on them. I pulled those out, cleaned all the gunk off of them and put a little dielectric back in and now I have no more issues with the sunroof having a mind it's own.
At first I had window issues too. My auto-up didn't work on the front doors even though the down did. But that fixed itself after one drive. Only the sunroof problem remained. I wonder if the position is pretty irrelevant. It could be a timing thing or who knows. Once it works you just keep doing what you did.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by isis
At first I had window issues too. My auto-up didn't work on the front doors even though the down did.
For future reference, learning the up/down positions requires rolling the window all the way up or down, rolling it the whole other way in one go, and continuing to hold down the button for 2-3 more seconds. On my car, you can actually hear a little click inside the door when it's learned the max position.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks fuzzy. I probably did that unknowingly since I was driving when I realized it wasn't working right.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154

both the **** that was stock, and the stock replacement piece i put in my car you cannot press in the **** in any other position than the closed position. i've tried. a lot.

and if the tracks are really dirty the motor will stop. if it stops mid way somewhere it's now "lost" and you have to do magic spells and cheat codes to get it somewhere back to where it knows. this usually involves pushing the **** in, cursing, and praying.

even mine right now is stuck partially down in the rear because i had it open yesterday and it didn't close all the way. the sunroof is just a piece of crap.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The v will do some wired stuff when the battery goes or you disconnect. After my battery crapped out half my steering wheel controls didn't work and the sunroof was out of wack. Just keep running it for a few days and it will be ok again. The up volume, and "back scan" for the channels took over a week to function after all that. Has been fine ever since
Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
The v will do some wired stuff when the battery goes or you disconnect. After my battery crapped out half my steering wheel controls didn't work and the sunroof was out of wack. Just keep running it for a few days and it will be ok again. The up volume, and "back scan" for the channels took over a week to function after all that. Has been fine ever since
My left buttons stopped workin so i cannot cycle through the dash displays.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish this thread would have come about two years ago. Pushed the button in and my sunroof came back to life. It hasn't worked in probably two years and after going through all the fuses I just assumed the motor took a ****. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I would've never figured it out.

Quick Reply: Battery Died and Sunroof stopped working.