Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New V Owner Have a Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New V Owner Have a Couple of Questions

Hi All,

Just picked a 2005 CTS V up recently. Replaced the usual stuff motor mounts, all 4 wheel hubs, differential bushing, and transmission mount based on write-ups I've read online.

Had a couple of questions. I want to do a coolant flush. Is there a procedure out there I should follow? Looks like I need to remove the radiator hose to get the coolant out, should I remove a block plug?, fill it up, and bleed. What's the best way to bleed on the V?

Had another question about the shifting. The car needs new shifting bushings, etc. It's also on its original clutch. When upshifting, I am constantly pausing at least a second before I release the clutch to let the revs drop to eliminate jerkiness. Doesn't matter the RPMs I am at. I am coming from an E39 from where I could clutch in, shift, clutch out in one smooth motion without waiting. Do I need to slow down my motion or what?

Lastly, is there a way to get a service manual online or a paper version without resorting to ebay prices?

Thanks

Last edited by Gauntletkl; 08-30-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a Hurst shifter from Brian on here...that will solve a lot of the shifting issue, definitely get the new bushings while you are replacing it.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bleeding - my take. Since LS engine have steam vents/ports in the top of the heads that plumb out under the front of the intake, I usually disconnect that and top hose(radiator end) and fill through the top radiator house until coolant comes out the vent. Then reconnect the hoses and fill remainder through radiator cap. Should get you in the neighborhood. Heat cycle a few times and check level and adjust from there.

As for the flush, there is a smaller usually silver-colored coolant drain plug back by the starter and a larger, brass plug on the other side. Pull both of those and that's about all the coolant you will get out without turning he block upside down. Both require Allen/hex bits. Beware that they are often quite stubborn. The silver plug is especially prone to rounding and the brass plug requires a pretty large bit. 17mm I think. Silver is something more standard like 10 or so IIRC.

Last edited by Mercier; 08-30-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jcollege
Get a Hurst shifter from Brian on here...that will solve a lot of the shifting issue, definitely get the new bushings while you are replacing it.
^^This
Old 08-31-2016, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

The jerkiness when letting the clutch out is the soft driveline bushings that are worn out.

It looks like you've replaced the trans and differential bushing, which are responsible for at lot of that. What did you replace those with? I'm hoping you didn't replace the differential bushing with a stock piece. Those were too soft from the very start.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
The jerkiness when letting the clutch out is the soft driveline bushings that are worn out.

It looks like you've replaced the trans and differential bushing, which are responsible for at lot of that. What did you replace those with? I'm hoping you didn't replace the differential bushing with a stock piece. Those were too soft from the very start.
Creative Steel and added their differential block as well. Perhaps just need to adjust my driving style.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shifter: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...007-cts-v.html
Old 09-01-2016, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gauntletkl
Creative Steel and added their differential block as well. Perhaps just need to adjust my driving style.
You should be able to get it down within a week. I still slip up from time to time.

Quick Reply: New V Owner Have a Couple of Questions