Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Official iPhone thread for V owners and anyone else with good info!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Official iPhone thread for V owners and anyone else with good info!!!

I've been noticing a lot of cell phone threads popping up on some of the other forums so i figured i'd make one here for the iPhone. I am an iPhone owner myself and i know a good bit about it but not everything. Im sure there are tips and secrets you guys can let me in on that i dont know yet. I have the 3GS 32gig.

Anyone have any cool info on how to get free ringtones (the preset ones suck) or cool free apps other than the free apps it allows you to get with at&t?

What is Jailbroken and can it be done to a 3GS?

Feel free to add any info you have or any questions you would like answers to. This is an open thread for anyone and everyone with an iPhone to use!!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont have the high dollar 100 dollar a month phone, that money goes into the car lol. Phonezoo.com has free ringtones and games.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

My work pays for most of mine...plus gives me a discount on service

I don't have any cool stuff for it. I did wire it into the stock stereo via XM channels so I can play my music through the stock speakers.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by deedubb
My work pays for most of mine...plus gives me a discount on service

I don't have any cool stuff for it. I did wire it into the stock stereo via XM channels so I can play my music through the stock speakers.
How did you do that?? I want to do the same and the FM transmitters suck!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

I used this: http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/a...tch/index.html

Note, I don't have XM service.

Best part is, It cost me like $7 with parts from Radio Shack.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Good info! Im not really an XM fan and rarely use it but it is hooked up in my car. Previous owner said he never paid for it and its been hooked up since he bought it a few years back. Im assuming either someone messed up and its getting free XM service or the original owner paid for the lifetime package or something. lol

Either way, i dont mind eliminating it but it would be nice if there was a way around disabling it if possible.

Thanks for the info man!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Sure, np. I've heard you can splice in versus cutting wires and retain XM....but i've heard that causes sound quality issues. I'm not really sure though.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Teching In

look for jailbreak iphone on youtube look for tutrials. you tube is wonderfull. i jail broke mine teathered the internet from the phone to the computer only thirty a month for unlimited net on the compouter it is awesome. i love the jailbreak google purplerain iphone
Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't wait to get mine.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the moto cliq(android). Use Imusic on the android market.. its got ok songs.. just haven't wanted to spend the money on the imusic toa.. also if you have your iphone hooked up to your car are you able to play pandora on it? Pandora is cool if you set your station based on the song not the artist!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am the last person on Earth with a Moto Razor, it was free, works great, and easy to use. Two of my daughters have iPhones, and from what I have seen these phones take a lot of time out of your day that I do not have.
Yeah, call me Grumpy,,,
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

It is possible to jailbreak any iPhone as far as I know. I have the the 3g 8 gig cause I'm cheap like that. Jailbreaking from my understanding unlocks the phone and is able to get service from any provider not just AT&T. The only way to get ringtones on an unjailbroke iPhone is to use iTunes. Pita IMO. U can use myxer download the iPhone version of any ringtone to a file on ur computer. Send it from that file to the ringtones section of iTunes. Plug and sync iPhone then the ringtone should automatically be sent to the phone. As far as I know there is no way to download a ringtone directly to the iPhone without jailbreaking it. But a buddy of mine tried to jailbreak his and it crashed completely. Now it's trash. I heard that happens often. Too much money for me to risk!!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

The big plus to jail breaking a 3g iphone is the fact you can tether it to your computer and get internet service!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Get Trapster from the appstore..BEST app E V E R! Its free as well
Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since this is in the "V" forum, I thought that I'd let you know something cool. With the right case, you can wedge the iPhone into the top portion of the steering wheel. It stays their even if you turn the steering wheel 360 degrees. Great for when you are trying to use GPS.

Disclaimer: Yes I know if the airbag deploys, I'll be smashed in the face by my iPhone.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jailbreaking is making your phone able to use apps from other developers besides apple, unlocking the phone is making it able to use any sim card from a "cdma"( i believe thats the right acronym) network. t mobile, metro pcs. etc.. the only thing is once your phone is jailbroken and unlocked you can not upgrade your itunes to the version 3.1.3 or greater or you reset and it can not be redone, as of now trust me. i'm waiting now for the new unlock for mine. supposed to be released when the ipad comes out but.... i don't know for sure, right now i'm using it as a ipod when in the car. and sometimes for the web at home as my wifi still works fine. supoosedly changes the modem baseband or something. but definetly don't use youtube for how to's. you would use it to put a cam in your car would you? no you go to the geek forums, they know everything.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can just sllice into the wires rather than cutting them. This way you retain the ability to have XM. Plus, it can be removed if you want at a later time.

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Good info! Im not really an XM fan and rarely use it but it is hooked up in my car. Previous owner said he never paid for it and its been hooked up since he bought it a few years back. Im assuming either someone messed up and its getting free XM service or the original owner paid for the lifetime package or something. lol

Either way, i dont mind eliminating it but it would be nice if there was a way around disabling it if possible.

Thanks for the info man!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

You can jailbreak the iPhone 3GS if it has firmware version 3.1.2 or below. There is currently no GOOD jailbreak for 3.1.3 (don't believe what you read that it is possible, it's not - currently. At least until the DevTeam comes out with one). If you bought your iPhone or had it replaced within the last few months, it's highly likely you got one with the new bootloader which makes it virtually impossible to jailbreak (at this time). So;

iPhone 3G/3GS with firmware 3.1.2 = Yes
iPhone 3G/3GS with firmware 3.1.3 = No

Clarification: When I say it's not possible to jailbreak 3.1.3 or the new bootloader, it is, but it's a tethered jailbreak. This means you need to re-jailbreak it every time the phones reboots, which is a MAJOR PIA! The phone will boot into DFU mode and will not work until you re-jailbreak it. If your phone reboots or you need to restart it when your away from a computer (to re-jailbreak it), you're screwed. If you have 3.1.3 DO NOT jailbreak it! If you're on 3.1.2, stay there, do not upgrade to 3.1.3!!

As for hooking up my iPhone to the stereo, I did the hardwire XM routine at first and it works just fine. However, I recently bought the device in the picture below on fleabay for $20 and it works great! I know people don't like the FM transmitter, but this has one of the best transmitters I've ever heard and I do not hear any difference from this to the hardwire connection (no static, sound quality is just as good). In addition, it holds my phone, gives me great access to use my hands to select the music. or make/answer calls etc., charges the phone, and even works through my stereo when I get a call. I have to turn down the car stereo volume a bit so the caller doesn't get echo, but if I do that, it works just fine.

The thing did want to fall to the side due to the weight of the phone, but I fixed that with a small piece of velcro taped on the back of the device stalk and the other piece on my console. It's secure and doesn't get in the way at all of the A/C controls, etc. If anyone wants, I can take a picture of what it looks like in the car. Saved me a bunch of hassle and I didn't need to buy a Bluetooth solution (I just can't justify spending $250 on a Bluetooth solution for the amount of calls I do in the car).

Last edited by egypt123; 04-08-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added clarification
Old 04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes, post pics please!! I might go that route instead! My girl has an fm transmitter for the itouch. Its a long cable with the transmitter thing in the middle. Its supposed to be one of the better ones... she paid $80 for it. Its not perfect though... you still hear interference.

Thanks for all the info guys!! Keep the good info coming!!

I need to see which version i have. Bought my phone about 5 months ago...
Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Ok, went down at lunch and took photos.

Photo1 - Portrait mode (funky camera angle makes the device look crooked, but it's perfectly straight in person).
Photo 2 - Landscape mode. Yes, that my home DishTV feed streaming to my iPhone using a TV tuner card and an IRBlaster in my home PC and the Orb iPhone app.
Photo 3 - Landscape mode passenger view.
Photo 4 - Portrait mode passenger view, which shows the Velcro I used to secure it. I need to trim the Velcro some.

This does get in the way a bit of the passenger side A/C controls, but not so bad you can't get to them. Another disadvantage is it blocks access to the CD player (no big deal to me since I listen to the tunes on my iPhone) and you can't close the ashtray compartment. Again, no big deal to me since having the functionality of tunes, charging, and phone being available far out weigh closing the bin for me.
Attached Thumbnails Official iPhone thread for V owners and anyone else with good info!!!-img_0640_sm.jpg   Official iPhone thread for V owners and anyone else with good info!!!-img_0642_sm.jpg   Official iPhone thread for V owners and anyone else with good info!!!-img_0645_sm.jpg   Official iPhone thread for V owners and anyone else with good info!!!-img_0647_sm.jpg  

Last edited by egypt123; 04-08-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Official iPhone thread for V owners and anyone else with good info!!!