Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

might get an 05 cts. problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default might get an 05 cts. problems?

im thinkin bout getting my first cts-v. its an 05 with around 100k miles. im just wondering if there is anything i need to look out for? i keep seeing and hearing stuff about the rear ends. how bad are these? i wouldnt mind taking it to the track once just to see what it does. and thats a maybe. can you do burnouts with them or what? whats the weak spot of them? i dont plan on making it a weekend racer, just wondering what to do.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Burnouts will cause wheel hop that will cause rear end problems.

Prob have to change the motor mounts with aftermarket if not already done.

Parts are expensive compared to F-bodys.

I have a 05 and LOVE it.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

I think the rear end just depends on the car. Each V is going to have it's own quirks. Mine for example is on the 5th radiator at under 30k miles. I guess I would just be wondering how much you are going to be driving it. I mean if you were going to drive it a bit in the summer for some fun then sure.... but as a DD I would be weary of buying anything but a Honda at over 100k miles.
Just take it in and get a once over before you buy... shouldn't cost you too much.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wouldnt doubt that they are more expensive than f-body's. i just wonder how they stack up to my z06 that i have now. its same engine and all i know. but i plan on driving it quite a bit for right now. well i cant really get a once over on it right now, im buying it from a buddy that had a lil front end damage for like $6k. if i run into too much problems, i'll probably just fix it and then sell it and try to find a newer one or just a different car.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a local forum member, and get to know them, pay them with the beverage of their choice to come and help you check out any potential V.

This vehicle never is, and without costly mod's to re-design the rear, never will be a drag car. It's strengths are in the road course, where it will more then hold it's own against just about anything out there.

If you want to do burnouts, then either prepare to replace rear ends on a regular basis, or do yourself a favor and get something that can handle it.

If you find a potential candidate to purchase, post it up here, give us the history, and we can walk you through the Q&A.

Typical mechanical things are:

Motor Mounts
Radiator
Power Steering Pumps
Clutch
Differential

Cosmetic items are:

Buttons peeling on the radio
Rear sail panels being broken
Scratches on the headlights

I'm sure there are some I missed, but that should get you going.

Ron
Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Yeqon
I think the rear end just depends on the car. Each V is going to have it's own quirks. Mine for example is on the 5th radiator at under 30k miles. I guess I would just be wondering how much you are going to be driving it. I mean if you were going to drive it a bit in the summer for some fun then sure.... but as a DD I would be weary of buying anything but a Honda at over 100k miles.
Just take it in and get a once over before you buy... shouldn't cost you too much.
100k miles isnt anything anymore. i'd rather buy domestic and put parts in it rather than buying a honda. just my .02. i bought my z06 with 100k miles on it and it ran just as good as it did from the factory. 11.97@115 with cai and slicks. im not worried a single bit about the ls6 with miles on it on the car. im just worried about the rear end i always hear about. i'll just plan on keeping it a driver and not hot rod it and get something else for a toy
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rjoffe
Find a local forum member, and get to know them, pay them with the beverage of their choice to come and help you check out any potential V.

This vehicle never is, and without costly mod's to re-design the rear, never will be a drag car. It's strengths are in the road course, where it will more then hold it's own against just about anything out there.

If you want to do burnouts, then either prepare to replace rear ends on a regular basis, or do yourself a favor and get something that can handle it.

If you find a potential candidate to purchase, post it up here, give us the history, and we can walk you through the Q&A.

Typical mechanical things are:

Motor Mounts
Radiator
Power Steering Pumps
Clutch
Differential

Cosmetic items are:

Buttons peeling on the radio
Rear sail panels being broken
Scratches on the headlights

I'm sure there are some I missed, but that should get you going.

Ron
geesh thats alot of crap. i might just have to pass on this thing. i figured it being a caddy with chevy powertrain, it would be an amazing car with very few faults. especially in 05, being after the last of the c5 z06's.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just buy it the list above is things that happen to some cars. You could come up with a similiar list for jsut about any car.

i have 50k miles but have the original radiator, power steering pump, sail panels, and headlights. only reason i had the other replaced was because i figured why not since its under warranty. I could still be on the fatcory rear but i said it was whinign so i could have the upgraded one for free.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

so with the rear end being a recall, will they fix it even out of the warranty period??
Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

it was never a recall, it was just a well known problem and if it was udner warranty it wasnt hard to get it replaced. Out of warranty your **** outta luck. But reality is, if you start to wheel hop let out and it wont break. People doing 5k clutch dumps are gonna break it its all how ou drive it.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

i mainly just want to drive the car normal. maybe some hard pulls from maybe 1st, but mainly 2nd and 3rd. no clutch dumping or burnouts. all roll races instead of dig's. do they not use the ls6 clutch??
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

they use the ls6 clutch thats not the problem. as long as you dont plan to run from digs and know to let out of it if it starts to hop i can pretty much guarantee you wont blow the diff.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

well thats definately good to know. so they are about as strong as the f-body 10-bolts at best? lol
Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Worse, it isn't pretty but you can make em last as long as you're aware of the problem. It's a dual mass flywheel so it's gonna feel different than the ZO6. Every car has it's quirks and the V's are no different. The C5's rear leaks and the headlight motor gears are plastic so they break. Which doesn't really matter though since a C5's headlights are useless, better off holding a maglight out the window to see.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'd rather have a leaky rear than one that cant handle the power lol. the lights arent that bad. i just know the 3-4 synchro is common, and a few other things. i think im gonna take up the offer on this thing tho.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by buddhaz06
100k miles isnt anything anymore. i'd rather buy domestic and put parts in it rather than buying a honda. just my .02. i bought my z06 with 100k miles on it and it ran just as good as it did from the factory. 11.97@115 with cai and slicks. im not worried a single bit about the ls6 with miles on it on the car. im just worried about the rear end i always hear about. i'll just plan on keeping it a driver and not hot rod it and get something else for a toy
Exactly why i bought mine. It has 105k on it now and ive owned it for a few months. I drive 80 miles a day and it hasnt given me one problem. Sure... its not perfect like a 10k mile car would be but i also paid much less for it and its still clean and runs GREAT! Id rather spend my money on mods since these LS6's are damn near bullet proof than pay double the price for a low mileage V. That was my perspective anyway...
Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

i agree with you here. i would love a new car...but... if i can get this for under $10k, compared to a new luxury sports car that runs bout $40-50k, i'll take my chances. everything can be fixed

Quick Reply: might get an 05 cts. problems?