Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Battery leaking 'lectric on an '04 CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery leaking 'lectric on an '04 CTS-V

I have had an intermittent problem with my '04 CTS-V battery running down if not driven for some time. The problem is now constant. I ran an ammeter between the negative battery post and the battery cable and pulled all the underhood fuses one at a time and the ammeter reading of 1.05 amps never changed. I didn't fool with the underseat fuse blocks also think my ammeter is inaccurate as the battery dropped from 12.6 volts yesterday evening to 9.6 volts this morning.... and a 1 amp drain would not leak that much 'lectric overnight. The battery is one month old and checks out good.

Does anyone have any idea of any common (or uncommon) problem that may be causing this?

I can also hear an occasional clunking static noise that may be coming from the sound system, even with the system turned off.

Dave
Old 05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you running any electric components @ all??? I had a faulty radar detector and a fuse that wouldn't blow....coincidence as it was......I pulled my aftermkt stereo, amp and even thought it was my 3rd brake light I had replace.....I dunno man, GOOD LUCK..I hate 'lectric demons
Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

I always unplug the radar deetector and celephone charger, not a hint of a light anywhere. A smartassed pal of mine said it was usually the glovebox light.... but a CTS-V ain't GOT a glovebox light...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true that....I gotta buddy, well ex stepbrother who's a service writer @ a "luxury" car lot..F1...they handle Porsche, BMW, BENZ and such....I'll pick his brain tonight and see if he's got any suggestions
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have found there is a TSB out on CTS's built before Sept., 2004 to replace the overhead console, something about a defective dimmer switch.

Dave
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Autom8r
I have found there is a TSB out on CTS's built before Sept., 2004 to replace the overhead console, something about a defective dimmer switch.

Dave
I had this exact problem in mine. eWill @ Lindsay told me that while I was waiting to replace the overhead dimmer switch, that I should just run it in the middle position, and it would cause the short.

I'd start with that.

-chris
Old 05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Chris,

Do you mean putting the switch in center position will stop the parasitic 'lectric loss? I keep mine just to the dim side of center.

Dave
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Autom8r
Chris,

Do you mean putting the switch in center position will stop the parasitic 'lectric loss? I keep mine just to the dim side of center.

Dave
That's what Bill at Lindsay told me. It worked for me for about a week while I was waiting on a replacement switch.

-Chris
Old 05-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

I moved the switch to the brightest positon and my battery stayed up all night. Hopefully that'll fix it till I get back to TN. I am in Panama City, FL now and don't trust the competency of the dealer here.

Dave

Last edited by Autom8r; 05-06-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling