Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Antenna on roof...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna on roof...

Ok, I did a search and can't find anything... Is it possible to remove the funky antenna on the roof? I think I've seen some pictures of cars without it, which confuses the heck out of me because I just assumed there is a cable running from it to the radio or on-star...??? If it can be removed, how do you do it (fishing line?), and is it hooked to anything and thus requiring some body work to patch a hole?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i have been wondering the same, i also want to remove it. I think there is a hole or maybe 2. I would imagine you have to take off the headliner to access the bolts. However i'm not sure what function that antenna has, xm onstar, radio??? anybody know?
Old 05-12-2010, 01:00 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are three holes in the roof under it. It is an onstar and XM radio antenna and it is held on by two nuts under the headliner. You won't see it on '04's or '05's as it's on the rear window. The regular am/fm antenna is part of the front windshield, there is a button attaching it on the passenger side top of the windshield.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well on the 04's it's for XM only....your onstar is on a DAMN regular looking cell phone antenna..circa 1988 on the rear glass with a cable running into the c-pillar on the interior. WTF
Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

I have an '05. If I need to tear into the headliner and also fill some holes on the roof after removal, it's just not worth the hassle. Bummer.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Actually , if you read your manuel . . . I have an '07.
OnStar = front windshield
Roof = XM radio
AM/FM = rear window
The manual also advises, Not to use tinting on rear window, because it will impede the AM/FM signal and GM will void your radio warranty. It especially impedes the AM radio.
Getting it off will involve some minor body work, but I like my XM and do not want to 'reduce resale value'.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

actually if you'd paid attention in 3rd grade you would know it's spelled manual
Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepside
Actually , if you read your manuel . . . I have an '07.
OnStar = front windshield
Roof = XM radio
AM/FM = rear window
The manual also advises, Not to use tinting on rear window, because it will impede the AM/FM signal and GM will void your radio warranty. It especially impedes the AM radio.
Getting it off will involve some minor body work, but I like my XM and do not want to 'reduce resale value'.
I have tint on mine and the radio hasnt changed a bit.......also had my entire NAV system replaced due to buttons peeeling with no mention of the window tint voiding the warranty and y tint tested out to 15% so its noticeable.

04s were the only ones with the antenna ont he back window BTW
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have tint, the AM reception sucks, the FM is okay, my choice for audio is a slipping SC belt and header leaks,,,
Old 05-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Don't know what my AM reception is like on mine. I have my back window tinted but I only listen to XM, FM, or CD. Never had a single problem with FM. I get better reception in the V then I did in my old truck with a full 3' tall external antenna.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
well on the 04's it's for XM only....your onstar is on a DAMN regular looking cell phone antenna..circa 1988 on the rear glass with a cable running into the c-pillar on the interior. WTF
I concur, WTF was GM thinking, idjits!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen other models other than the CTS with the rear mounted antenna as well...now that I pay attention they all look horrible...I remember in '88 when my dad got his first bag phone he had one of those on his pickup
Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I have tint on mine and the radio hasnt changed a bit.......also had my entire NAV system replaced due to buttons peeeling with no mention of the window tint voiding the warranty and y tint tested out to 15% so its noticeable.

04s were the only ones with the antenna ont he back window BTW
You probably do not have metal film in your tint.
I meant, radio antenna warranty. GM mentions the metal film in some window tints will cause problems with reception and states that it will not cover damage to antenna grid.
I also have tint on the back window and rear side windows. Only my AM has poor reception.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
actually if you'd paid attention in 3rd grade you would know it's spelled manual
You will have to give me half credit, because if you read the 5th line, you'll see that I spelled it correctly.
You are now the new "spelling ****"
Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepside
You probably do not have metal film in your tint.
I meant, radio antenna warranty. GM mentions the metal film in some window tints will cause problems with reception and states that it will not cover damage to antenna grid.
I also have tint on the back window and rear side windows. Only my AM has poor reception.
mine definetly has metallics int he tint. I wish it didnt cause it get reflective but i dont have any problems. I mostly play cd's anyways. Tint on mine is LLumar, im debating getting it taken off and doing 3M.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Stepside....I apologize for the comment on the spelling....just busting your ***** and after reading it again it def came across as asshollish....sorry once again, I really appreciate all the help I've gotten from you guys and wanna keep it cool

Quick Reply: Antenna on roof...