Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I feel so stupid.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I feel so stupid.

I started my car so I can get some air going for my son while I loaded his stroller in the trunk. Then I forgot the damn thing was in gear and let the clutch out. Instead of stalling out it drove straight into a big *** curb. Now my front bumper, lower grille, and left fog light(only the cooling duct) are fucked. I feel so stupid. Oh and the park brake was on, but it only likes to work when it wants to and only when the car is facing uphill. It rolls forward any other time. On top of it all I have a family to support so I can't afford my $500 deductible much less parts to fix the damn thing myself. Flame away.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

No flaming here....accidents happen man. Sorry to hear it.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

What really sucks is the 8 hours that i put into detailing the damn thing last Sunday.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

accidents happen bro. Just really unlucky ebrake + no gas didnt stall it :[
Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

What a f***ing idiot haha......totally kidding **** happens man, at least no one was standing in front of the car and you or your child werent hurt. Youll get it fixed, ask them to adjust the ebrake when they fix it as well lol
Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

things will get better man.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

So far I'm looking at around $1200 in parts. How in the hell is the lower grille over $300? I can get BOTH fog lights for less than that! I need to rob a bank or something...
Old 05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^^ Ebay and just try and pc it together when you can if you dont wanna go through your insurance.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you rob a bank you could buy a better car and your day will get better
Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You know, my e-brake sucks too, so don't feel bad about it.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
^^^^ Ebay and just try and pc it together when you can if you dont wanna go through your insurance.
That's what I'm looking at doing. I'm not worried too much about paint right now since USAA gives me a free paint job once I move from here(El Paso). But anyway the two lower grilles on ebay were $319 and like $375. If I claim it on my insurance my premium would just go up anyway so screw that. I prefer to do most of my own work anyway.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

That does suck! Sorry to hear that. We all make bone head mistakes. Our e-brakes are weak pos's that wouldn't hold against the torque.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

This is one of those instances when you wish that our cars didn't have gobs of torque...

Good luck with the fix, just make it better than before!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

12 of the 13 cars I've owned have been manuals and I've done that several times over the years...including the V. However, they always die when I do it and just jerk the car forward which is still embarrassing..lol.

Sucks, but accidents happen!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
12 of the 13 cars I've owned have been manuals and I've done that several times over the years...including the V. However, they always die when I do it and just jerk the car forward which is still embarrassing..lol.

Sucks, but accidents happen!
Yeah I've stalled it in the past. It would have been fine if it just stalled, because I was parked several feet off of the curb. Not today though. It was doing a good 5mph at least when it hit. The crunch was sickening. the whole bottom of the bumper cover is bent and scarred, the lower grille is bent(although I may be able to repair it once it's out), and the left brake duct is cracked and the fog light is just sitting in the opening now. I havent even looked underneath to see if anything was damaged under there.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks.

Wait till you pop the hood open to show off the motor and you pull the brake release instead and the car rolls away from ya.

That will wake you right up!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Haha when I first bought my V I kept doing the opposite. I'd go to pull the brake release to drive off and pop the hood instead!

Speaking of parking brakes does anybody know how to adjust ours? I replaced the stock brake pads with Hawk ceramics and from then on the park brake barely works and they squeal like a damn semi when I apply brake pressure. Is there something I did wrong? I thought Hawk pads were supposed to be quiet. I can here the damn things with just the sunroof cracked and the windows up!

Also I finally calmed down and really looked at the damage. The brake duct for the left fog light is cracked in half. I can epoxy it back together for the short term. Does anybody know if there is a place where I can get just the duct? I know they typically come with the fog light assemblies, but I would like to get some STS-V fogs and I don't feel like paying for a whole new CTS-V assembly just to get the duct. If I can't though I'm just going to replace both fog lights with new ones since my current ones are pitted to hell.

The lower grille looks like it can be pulled and repaired. The mesh on the bottom popped out of the surrounding piece. I'll find out when I pull the bumper cover. As far as the bumper cover goes it's dented on the bottom in one spot, but it can be popped back out from the inside. It's scratched to hell across the whole bottom part, but it isn't cracked at all. Some of the scratches are pretty deep so I don't know if it can be repaired and painted. I'm guessing it can. I'm probably just going to get a new bumper cover down the road and have the whole car painted anyway. Plus I can get a bumper cover without the front license plate bracket holes in it for a much cleaner look. Underneath it just popped the fittings for the big plastic piece under there. No other damage.

All in all it isn't too bad. Of course being the car nut that I am I'm extremely self-conscious of it whenever I drive, but it could be a lot worse and will be fixed eventually.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SimplistikTA
Haha when I first bought my V I kept doing the opposite. I'd go to pull the brake release to drive off and pop the hood instead!

I replaced the stock brake pads with Hawk ceramics and from then on the park brake barely works and they squeal like a damn semi when I apply brake pressure. Is there something I did wrong? I thought Hawk pads were supposed to be quiet. I can here the damn things with just the sunroof cracked and the windows up!
I popped the hood too for a good month when we first bought our V lol!!

We have HPS pads and they are sooo quiet! We had these crappy cheap o's and after we put the Hawks on she stops on a dime, quiet, and very little brake dust!! Glad you don't have too much damage! At least you didn't curb your brand new rims while on vacation... I'm a dumbass!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

sorry to hear that bud. It happens to me when i go into to get my v serviced and when i pick it up and start it, it'll jump and than i'll be swearing my **** off as the service guy left it in gear and I always leave mine in neutral
Old 05-29-2010, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Razorecko
sorry to hear that bud. It happens to me when i go into to get my v serviced and when i pick it up and start it, it'll jump and than i'll be swearing my **** off as the service guy left it in gear and I always leave mine in neutral
I used to leave mine in neutral as well because the parking brake worked fine with the stock Brembo pads on it. Then I replaced them with the Hawk pads and they squeal horribly and my park brake barely works. It will only keep the car from rolling backward about half the time and wont keep it from rolling forward at all. Can anybody help me on this? I hope I dont need to go buy new pads to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: I feel so stupid.