Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Does an X pipe quiet the exhaust down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does an X pipe quiet the exhaust down?

Hey guys,
I have stock cats and a mag catback on my car but I cut the mufflers off to make it louder. It's basically a muffler delete now with an o/r x-pipe and nice mag tips.

Anyway... The car sounds great! I intend to go louder later when I get LT's, no cats, o/r x and dynomax bullets but this is working for now.

Does the x make a difference in volume? My buddy has a V identical to mine and he is running almost the same setup... Stock cats, true duals where my x is and muffler delete as well.

His car seems much louder than mine! Sounds mean as hell! A little more raspy and obnoxious compared to mine having a cleaner more controlled tone but it sounds so raw!

What's better performance wise? X or true duals?

I'm considering the replacement of my X with true duals for the $20 it would cost to hold me over until I get what I really want. I'm a broke college student so keep in mind I don't have a huge budget to get anything I want. Lol

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

You want the x-pipe , it helps equalize everything and I remeber reading you can lose power from a ture dual with no x-pipe.

Buy some headers which will not only make everything way louder, it will add some nice HP for your $$

If you want want to **** off you neighbors dont put any cats
Old 07-10-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

That's what I thought I had heard but couldn't remember for sure. I guess I'll keep the x. I'm def going to get headers when I get some money and ditch the cats! I'd run all straight pipe if I could but I'll throw some dynomax bullets in there to keep it somewha tolerable... Lol
Old 07-10-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
That's what I thought I had heard but couldn't remember for sure. I guess I'll keep the x. I'm def going to get headers when I get some money and ditch the cats! I'd run all straight pipe if I could but I'll throw some dynomax bullets in there to keep it somewha tolerable... Lol
lol your crazy man , If you read my other thead I ran 1 7/8 kooks, no cats, and a xpipe B&B catback and the drone was un-tolerable.

Had to drop a resonator inplace of the x-pipe. The design doesnt seem to slow down flow much but its sounds 100x better.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
lol your crazy man , If you read my other thead I ran 1 7/8 kooks, no cats, and a xpipe B&B catback and the drone was un-tolerable.

Had to drop a resonator inplace of the x-pipe. The design doesnt seem to slow down flow much but its sounds 100x better.
Lol! I love LOUD man as long as it sounds good. I don't ever have to drive very far other than to school and that's about 30 miles round trip.

If it's too obnoxious for me, I'll run a resonator again myself but I'll try it first without. I've run those dynomax bullets on numerous other cars I've owned and for the money, they sound bad ***!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say 100% on a LS motor, I do know that it's better to have the x in place to keep equal back pressure. And as Maxspeed said the no cats will open it up for sure....I ran cats only on my Silverado for a while and when I lopped em off and replaced with a 40 series Flowmaster it rumbled like a beast. I'm just runnin a muffler delete on the V for now, I still haven't had the pipes ran out the back so for now it's stupid loud inside my car.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Lol! I love LOUD man as long as it sounds good. I don't ever have to drive very far other than to school and that's about 30 miles round trip.

If it's too obnoxious for me, I'll run a resonator again myself but I'll try it first without. I've run those dynomax bullets on numerous other cars I've owned and for the money, they sound bad ***!
Go for it! I don't think I've heard a vehicle yet that sounded bad with a X
Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I can't say 100% on a LS motor, I do know that it's better to have the x in place to keep equal back pressure. And as Maxspeed said the no cats will open it up for sure....I ran cats only on my Silverado for a while and when I lopped em off and replaced with a 40 series Flowmaster it rumbled like a beast. I'm just runnin a muffler delete on the V for now, I still haven't had the pipes ran out the back so for now it's stupid loud inside my car.
I've always cut the cats off all my vehicles. I would have already done it on the V but it will throw a code right?

Only way to cut the cats without a code is to tune it right?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes you will need a tune or the CEL will come on.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

See, that's why I haven't done it. If I'm going to get a tune, might as well get the headers and stuff first so I don't need to tune it twice.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here is mine before the cam, like it says in the vid.......kooks 1 7/8 with high flow cats, stock resonator and no mufflers just 4" tips.

just to show you that cats and a resonator can still be louder and sound mean. I get virtually no drone inside the car and also still picked up 22rwhp from just the long tubes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByooOUvrnf4
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Dude, that sounds awesome!!! Very impressed that it's that loud and still catted with a stock resonator. I need LT's like yesterday! Lol
Old 07-11-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

not gonna the lie...the dirt bike at the end is pretty funny and random.

mean sounding V, followed closely by the 125CC Dirt Bike
Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

The x quiets the exhaust down just a tad. But its the smoothness that it provides that makes you think the exhaust is quieter.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, my setup with the X is much smoother than my buddies. His is pretty raspy and when he decelerates, his exhaust pops and crackles alot. Mine is nice and smooth... Just not as loud.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

I'l tell you this...not like it matters to a 8 banger but....I did had a h pipe with no cats and magnaflows-it was too high pitched and kinda sloppy.....I did the x pipe, no cats, magnaflows-sounds nice and deep and no much ricey high pitched noise's
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I'm set on keeping the X. I'm just gonna be patient and wait until I get my LT's and remove the cats and I'll either weld in some dynomax bullets or maybe the smaller cased magnaflows to keep the catback all magnaflow parts...
Old 07-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Launching!

I'm kinda in the same situation as you. I have B&B exhaust with x-pipe and muffler delete. Just waiting on the headers w/no cats. haha

Quick Reply: Does an X pipe quiet the exhaust down?