Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

expected gains?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default expected gains?

So i finally got all my mods shipped and in the garage waiting for install and tune. My tuner won't be in till november so I'm stuck waiting and in the meantime thinking of what else I should purchase for the install/tune. What else do you guys think I might need and what gains should i expect? Oh it's all on a 04 ls6 platinum siver with 32k miles!!!

List of mods in the garage

1. intake
2. pacesetter headers
3. kooks hf cats
4. magnaflox exhaust
5. swap resonator w/ straight pipes
6. cam 242/248
7. PAC dual valve springs, retainers, pushrods, etc
8. fast92 intake manifold/fast 92 throttle body
9. hp tuners
10. gforce axles ($5xx option)
11. ???? (you input here)

Last edited by z28dogg; 08-03-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 08-03-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id say in the 430 range with those mods. If you dont have motor mounts id do those now while the headers are out. Also id have the FAST ported before you put it on the car, thatll pick you up some extra hp for the little bit of money. I did a melling high volume oil pump when i did my cam and its just cheap insurance that doesnt take anything extra to install. Mybe if your looking to squeeze out as much as possible an U/D pulley since the stocker is off anyways.

I dont know how you are on money but if its apart and the manifold is off id look into how much itd cost to port the stock heads/valve job. If you do all this you shouldnt have a problem hitting over 450rwhp on stock heads(ported of course.)
Old 08-03-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

I'll guess a "peaky" 415hp on a mustang dyno, 242/248 is a hefty cam.

11. heads
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Humm I wonder how much it would cost to port the heads/valves? I really don't know much about that, what all else is involved in porting? will it require more parts to purchase or just the labor of porting? wouldnt I have to pull the heads off or the engine out?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

You can get assembled PRC heads with dual valve springs for $1600.
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=134&catid=40

I have em on my V and for the price you can't complain.
Then I sold my stock heads in a week for $450.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

no way 1600 for heads can't complain at for that!!! hmm I know I can swing that by November! is that a direct bolt on app? if i do this then what will i be looking at and what would be the gain over porting stock heads considering price?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Me thinks i might just spring for the PRC heads!! The intake mani was ported already. I was adding how much I'm gonna end up paying for all this and started thinking I probably should have just gone the SC route. Oh well nothing a little juice down the road can't fix!!lol So what will I reach with these heads added to the list?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

damm thats a huge cam!

g/luck and keep us updated
10.) Id go with the full race axle set
11.) A updated gen 4 diff (seriously)

Last edited by maxspeed05V; 08-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Those heads are just a bolt on thing. The ported heads will compliment the ported fast and that cam pretty nicely.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im not positive but arent PRCs LS6 heads just 243 castings workied over by TSP? MEaning you can just get the stock heads ported and worked out for less? Plus you can mill the stock heads down a tad to bump the compression but youd have to make sure PTV clearance is enough.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't skimp on the headers with an aggressive cam. I understand budget, but it's far better to spend a little more now, rather than a lot more later when you're not happy with the results Pacesetters to me remind me of the old cheaper sbc headers, like blackjack and such...they work, but when compared to a pair of hooker super comps, sort of thing...

Will you need any fuel modifications (pump, injectors, adj. regulator, etc. Better budget in new upgraded mounts all over, too...
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Im not positive but arent PRCs LS6 heads just 243 castings workied over by TSP? MEaning you can just get the stock heads ported and worked out for less? Plus you can mill the stock heads down a tad to bump the compression but youd have to make sure PTV clearance is enough.
Thats exactly what they are, well they are actually worked over by Precision Race Components not TSP but thats just FYI. There are several benefits to getting the PRC heads, first and foremost the heads are CNC'd meaning every head will be the same and flow the numbers posted. Having your stock heads worked over by a speed shop may yield the same results but there is the chance for human error. Second the heads come pre assembled and you have them when you are ready to do the swap, instead of waiting a couple weeks for your speed shop to disassemble, port, and reassemble your stock heads. When you compare the costs there really isn't much difference, 1600 for the assembled PRC heads, they come with great springs so subtract $300 for the springs and your stock heads are worth $450 that leaves the actual PRC head, valve job, and porting at $850. Can you get your stock heads disassembled, cleaned, ported, valve job, then reassembled for 850? Maybe you can, but its going to be close and IMHO the minimal money you save wont be worth the wait.

Also, I would not mill the heads with a cam that high in duration, unless you're ok with fly cutting the pistons. Actually, I would check your PTV clearance with stock heads.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JNR_Design

Will you need any fuel modifications (pump, injectors, adj. regulator, etc. Better budget in new upgraded mounts all over, too...
Good point, prolly gonna have to pick up some injectors to handle the heads/cam. Fuel pump should be sufficient since mine is handling the power I have and spray.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I see you are in Tucson, if you need a hand wrenching on anything let me know, I'd love to help (and get some practice for the day my V gets the same parts...)

I've already done the axle shafts in mine too, it would be much easier to do the second time. (and much much quicker...) I also have a 34mm socket, and a long pry bar to save on the tool expense for now.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Decided against the heads as my tuner spec'd out my cam and is made for the stock heads plus I'd rather save and get some AFR further down the road. I have also decided that I might as well make #11 the go juice! Now I just gotta look for a proven setup.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for thee advice I'll keep you all posted, will update with picks tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

what size shot are you looking to run? id contact HSW or nitrous outlet(nitrous outlet if you want a plate kit) because the HSW plate is too thick and youd have to modify the intake.

id suggest one of the budget direct port kits from NX or nitrous outlet if you wanna do 150 shot just because of the clean install and tuneability. PLus its not much more then a plate kit.

Just remember you have to put this power to the ground. What clutch are you running? Might just wanna put the money towards that.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you attempting to install a cam without pulling the heads? If so, you are a brave man. What are the complete specs on your cam, lift and LSA? Also, your stock clutch will handle that combo for quite some time, and an LS7 clutch and flywheel will easily hold up. I ran a similar setup with the stock clutch for about 6 months without issue and the stock clutch looked fine when removed. I have run an LS7 now for a year and a half with many track days and constant flogging.

With a guess of .58X/.59X, I would say you will be right at 400-410 Hp and 400 Tq to the wheels. Maybe less without ported heads. A set of Patriot heads (stock castings also) are only $1250 fully assembled or $850 bare.

Are you waiting for your tuner for any specific reason, or just that you trust him and only him?

I would also plan to be doing the bottom end after you do these mods and adding NO2. Mine lasted about 50,000 miles with heads/cam before a bearing or two took a crap (2 dozen road course track days and always driven hard). I haven't pulled it apart yet, so I'm not exactly sure what it is yet. I just know it sounds like a spun bearing and I ended up with a few pistons kissing intake valves.

You might want to think about #11 being larger injectors. I was at 92% duty cycle, then retuned it a little fatter (and faster) and was about tweaked out at 98%.

Last edited by 07CTS-V; 08-04-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

I wanna go with a 100 -150 shot max. I am waiting on my tuner because he is the designer of the cam and is the best qualified to tune it. Also he has a great reputation here in Tucson/phoenix area. Just research AZPS03 cams and you will find plenty of GTO's in the 430's and up with similar setups.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

What are the kits mostly used? part numbers, prices. Any help would be appreciated in the build Fuzzy Wuzzy, do you work by the base?

Quick Reply: expected gains?