Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up (1,000 miles since install)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up (1,000 miles since install)

First of all, this is NOT a flame against Max at Creative Steel. I'm sure he's going to do what he can to rectify this situation. It's partly my mechanic's fault too.

Well, I changed my trans fluid tonight and while I was under the car I decided to have a look around to make sure everything appeared in order. Well, everything seemed fine until I had a look at my 'new' motor mounts. The passenger side mount had the heat shield installed facing the block instead of the manifold, and the driver's side mount, although shield was installed correctly, is also going brown and burn-looking. Suffice to say I'm a little peeved.

I'm not sure who to be pissed with - especially since Max from CS seems like such a good guy. I'm definitely pissed at the mechanic, but at the same time, Max knew how hot that area gets and should have tested that the materials could withstand the heat. Once tested, he could either sell them heat wrapped somehow or sell them with instructions that heat wrapping was mandatory.

Anyway...some pictures for your enjoyment. I'll be getting in touch with Max and my mechanic very soon.
Attached Thumbnails CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up (1,000 miles since install)-p1030021.jpg   CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up (1,000 miles since install)-p1030023.jpg   CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up (1,000 miles since install)-p1030022.jpg  

Last edited by wes8398; 08-14-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ive ran my Black CS mounts with header wrap on them sense November running stock manifolds and now kooks 1 7/8 headers and not a problem Max is a great guy he will do what he can to make sure you are satisfied give him a call and explain what happened!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are these the "black" mounts?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wmskateteam
are these the "black" mounts?
Sorry, that made me laugh out loud and now I have a bunch of co-workers looking at me funny. The title says "grey", and the pictures show "grey" mounts ... they're the "grey" ones. Not "black".
Just havin' some fun with ya man ... no worries.

Originally Posted by tityrous
Ive ran my Black CS mounts with header wrap on them sense November running stock manifolds and now kooks 1 7/8 headers and not a problem Max is a great guy he will do what he can to make sure you are satisfied give him a call and explain what happened!
So you've taken the header wrap off of them to make sure they're not doing what mine are doing? If so, that's reassuring for the next set I put in there - I'll header wrap them for sure. If you haven't actually removed the wrap to see what kinda shape they're in, I would be curious to know if the header wrap actually protected them. Isn't that stuff made to keep heat in, rather than out? (IE Wrap your headers to keep the heat from dissipating into your engine bay)

Last edited by wes8398; 08-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wes8398
Sorry, that made me laugh out loud and now I have a bunch of co-workers looking at me funny. The title says "grey", and the pictures show "grey" mounts ... they're the "grey" ones. Not "black".
Just havin' some fun with ya man ... no worries.

So you've taken the header wrap off of them to make sure they're not doing what mine are doing? If so, that's reassuring for the next set I put in there - I'll header wrap them for sure. If you haven't actually removed the wrap to see what kinda shape they're in, I would be curious to know if the header wrap actually protected them. Isn't that stuff made to keep heat in, rather than out? (IE Wrap your headers to keep the heat from dissipating into your engine bay)
the original wrap is still on there no melting or burning poly next time im under the car ill take pics i dont plan on unwrapping them it would be a pain to wrap them on the car...
Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

I have the very first pair of black installed. No shields, no wrap and still in great shape. been on for over a year and 40k miles. Looks like you do not have headers. I understood that guys with headers had less, or no problems compared to stock manifolds.

IMO, the grey anything suck. I have a greay diff bushing that crumbled. I will post pics as soon as I get it out. Max replaced no questions asked, but the labor in doing this install a 2nd time, SUX.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

the original wrap is still on there no melting or burning poly next time im under the car ill take pics i dont plan on unwrapping them it would be a pain to wrap them on the car...
You might be assuming a little too much here if you haven't seen the actual mounts underneath the wrapping. The wrap may look fine, but who knows what the mounts look like underneath there, right? Again, I'm just being the devil's advocate here. I don't know how well header wrap protects from heat. I do know that it's meant to keep heat in though.

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
I have the very first pair of black installed. No shields, no wrap and still in great shape. been on for over a year and 40k miles. Looks like you do not have headers. I understood that guys with headers had less, or no problems compared to stock manifolds.

IMO, the grey anything suck. I have a greay diff bushing that crumbled. I will post pics as soon as I get it out. Max replaced no questions asked, but the labor in doing this install a 2nd time, SUX.
Hmmmm. Do you find that the black mounts are a little rough for a daily driver? I only went with the gray ones because I wanted the stock coziness in a mount that was going to last longer than stock. Max (and many others) warned that the black mounts might be a little too harsh for a DD.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeahhhhhhh i deserved that one, post happy i guess
Old 08-14-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

You might be assuming a little too much here if you haven't seen the actual mounts underneath the wrapping. The wrap may look fine, but who knows what the mounts look like underneath there, right? Again, I'm just being the devil's advocate here. I don't know how well header wrap protects from heat. I do know that it's meant to keep heat in though.
I see your assumption and raise you another. Just because your set of "grey" mounts boiled over, doesn't mean they all do. If I recall correctly, there were a few members here with the same problems as you but I haven't heard of any further issues (except yours) since the heat shields were put in place. I understand you thinking here but just playing devils advocate

I hope this gets figured out because I'll be putting some "black" ones when I get my headers.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Let's just leave it at the facts here. You don't know what kind of condition your mounts are in 'cause they're covered in header wrap. Period.
I expect to hear back from Max sometime this week, so we'll see what he says. Like you said, there have been more than a few posts about this issue in the past little while, so this isn't going to be (or shouldn't be) a new thing to Max. I'm confident that he'll make it good - whatever "it" is. I'll be sure to post back here with whatever happens.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Let's just leave it at the facts here. You don't know what kind of condition your mounts are in 'cause they're covered in header wrap. Period.
I expect to hear back from Max sometime this week, so we'll see what he says. Like you said, there have been more than a few posts about this issue in the past little while, so this isn't going to be (or shouldn't be) a new thing to Max. I'm confident that he'll make it good - whatever "it" is. I'll be sure to post back here with whatever happens.
my black mounts work as good as the day i put them in...
Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Hmmmm. Do you find that the black mounts are a little rough for a daily driver? I only went with the gray ones because I wanted the stock coziness in a mount that was going to last longer than stock. Max (and many others) warned that the black mounts might be a little too harsh for a DD.[/QUOTE]

I think the black mounts are fine, but that is me. I have no issues with the way they feel and would purchase them again.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love how planted the motor is! the one thing i changed was the original black poly trans mount i chose to use the softer gray one that took away most of the vibrations i was seeing! I love my set up.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Launching!

my black mounts work as good as the day i put them in...

I have the black mounts also and have had no issues with heat what so ever on stock manifolds thus far.

Quick Reply: CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up (1,000 miles since install)