Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Mount

Looking for new tranny mount for my 2006 CTS V. My factory mount is MIA due to the dealership closing half way through new trans replacement. That's the sanitized version. Anyway I would like to get a polyurethene mount. Where can I find one. Since trans is out what is the clutch of choice for upgrade to stock clutch. FYI GM does not have factory replacement tranny mount. I was told by GM they won't have tranny mount until 10/25/10 when they tool up to make new parts. So they're attitude is too bad for you just keep making the payments. This is been going on since 07/19/10. Thank you Chairman Mao Obama.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 Old Road Dawg
Looking for new tranny mount for my 2006 CTS V.
I remember seeing a post where the guy cleaned his stock mount and poured with a polyurethane mix that was obtained from Grainger's.

Seems like he even listed the particular compounds needed. Order the stuff quick before the EPA outlaws it.
Thank you Chairman Mao Obama.
A benefit of pouring the stock mount is the anti-separation pin on the mount, also it won't be quite as prone to transmit vibration as a pure poly mount.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just buy a creative steel mount,,or i still have my stock mount 25 shipped
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Another vote for Creative Steel, call Max up, they will set you up with one
Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonk
Another vote for Creative Steel, call Max up, they will set you up with one
I didn't know they still made them.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

I have a Creative Steel gray poly mount.
They are somewhat hit and miss, some people like them for the firmer feeling some don't because they transmit vibrations. I didn't like mine. Do you have a short throw shifter?
If you really want my CS mount how is 50 shipped?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

CS makes an updated trans mount that is still gray in appearance, but offers a ride quality more than acceptable for my "getting older" NVH-o-meter.

The stuff some people have used is the 3M window adhesive/sealant, something like that. It is a 3M product, black in color, in a caulking tube, and runs about $13-$20 per unit. NAPA has them in their body section.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
8 Second Club

FYI, 2010 Camaro M6 trans mount does work on the V1. It might only be a matter of time before the aftermarket comes up with something for the Camaro, V owners will quietly be able to use them too......
Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by veee8
FYI, 2010 Camaro M6 trans mount does work on the V1. It might only be a matter of time before the aftermarket comes up with something for the Camaro, V owners will quietly be able to use them too......
Camaro owners better stock up now, once companies find out it can fit the cadillac the things are going to double in price

BTW I did the grainger polly fill, gave way to much vibration. I'm back to stock now. But I suggest the creative steel soft polly style.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

I've talked to Max @ Creative Steel about this topic. The original trans mounts he made turned out to be too firm and transferred a lot of drive train vibrations that people didn't like. The vibrations were initially blamed on the motor mounts he was making (hence the creation of the softer 'grey' mounts), but Max later figured out that it was actually the trans mounts that were causing the vibrations, not the motor mounts. He is personally running "black" motor mounts with the new softer grey trans mounts and has no vibration issues. I will soon be running the same.

Last edited by wes8398; 09-01-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the Camaro mount any stiffer than the stock V1 trans mount?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
Is the Camaro mount any stiffer than the stock V1 trans mount?
Just get the Creative Steel one.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Are you guys sure that the newest tranny mount is grey? The one they sent me in mid-July was supposed to be the latest and is a marshmellowy black compound. Also I don't see a positive retaining system in this mount like the stock one if it delaminates.

...My Caddy is sitting with the exhaust off after doing the rear diff mount and specter bushings this last weekend. I was going to do the CS tranny mount and maybe the CS grey engine mounts this weekend.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

I thought mine was a dark gray, don't remember for sure. It works well, and supposedly has a retention link inside it. The gray engine mounts are nice, but make sure you wrap them in heat reflective tape. I went twice around them with DEI heat reflective tape, then put a stainless zip tie to secure the tape just in case the adhesive tries to unravel.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PowerFiend
I was going to do the CS tranny mount and maybe the CS grey engine mounts this weekend.
The grey motor mounts aren't necessary anymore. I've now compared the grey back-to-back with the blacks, and the black mounts do NOT result in more engine vibrations. As I said in my previous post, it was discovered that the old (firmer) transmission mount was causing the added vibrations, not the motor mounts.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wes8398
The grey motor mounts aren't necessary anymore. I've now compared the grey back-to-back with the blacks, and the black mounts do NOT result in more engine vibrations. As I said in my previous post, it was discovered that the old (firmer) transmission mount was causing the added vibrations, not the motor mounts.
Understood, and if I was buying today I would get the black engine mounts. I bought them about two months ago though.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PowerFiend
Understood, and if I was buying today I would get the black engine mounts. I bought them about two months ago though.
They'll do ya just as well. Just wrap 'em in some header wrap, and make sure the heat shields are installed correctly. If you have the time, I would even suggest getting the updated heat shields from Max. They wrap around the mount a LOT more, and I think they're a thicker gauge of aluminum too. Would be cheap insurance.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Well, it looks like my V may be coming home this week. Its been held hostage at dealership #2 since 08/03 awaiting a new trans mount since the factory mount was lost/stolen by dealership #1. That Caddy/Chev dealer had my car originally before they went out of business without any warning. I was finally able to get a creative steel mount authorized and warrantied by GM. This nightmare started on 07/19.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

The camaro mount will not work. It will bolt up, but it is about 1in too tall.

Quick Reply: Tranny Mount