Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Looking for the right V

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the right V

Hello folks..

New to the forum but have been prowling around for awhile and have decided to make an account. I have been looking around local dealers, near and far, as well as autotrader and the classifieds, etc for a freakin CTS-V (04/05) and man I swear it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Anyway, the 04/05's are the only ones that are in my price range. Is there anything to avoid and anything to look out for if/when I find one to test drive. I'm not going to be picky but I definitely do not want the gray interior.

I've always owned GM vehicles up until last year when I picked up a 2005 Acura TL. Love the car, love the gas mileage, love everything about it. Except the SOHC 3.2L Vtec under the hood Nothing special about the car, but I'm going through the "I need a fast car" stage of life. Every since I first saw a CTS-V it has been my "dream" to own one and now that I am in a position where I can afford it, I can't freaking find one lol

Although, I am still in the process of parting out my TL and selling it, I am looking 24/7 for a V to test drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys!

Btw, my name is John
Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Launching!

I too fell in love with these cars when I first saw them but it took many years before I was able to afford one as well! You are going to love the combination of luxury and performance!

As for what to watch out for really the only thing is to get a report on the car from a GM dealer to see if the rear diff has been replaced. YOU WANT IT TO HAVE BEEN REPLACED! Another thing could be the engine mounts being done for, if you buy from a dealer you might could negotiate new ones. You will get a whole lot of slop in the shifter but that is normal, the stock shifter is crap! You will also get a clunk from the rear of the car when shifting, that is normal as well.

Other than those things I can't remember anything major except for the diff. Let us know what you find. I found mine just a little bit north of you in Knoxville.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work Tn as my sales area...And I drive my 04 about 5k a month with no issues as of yet... Well motor mounts. Found a set on here new from a member for less than $100. You need to pm me your info and your more than welcome to take mine for a drive...I'll be in Morristown in the next week or two. Good luck
Old 11-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm game for spending money for the car, to better the car. I've been reading up about various things with them such as what TriGuy listed. Even what I learned in the past, I never knew about the rear diff being crappy, only thought it was the axles. I'm prepared to spend money to make it better but I do not want to be replacing **** that fails every other month I might take you up on the bama, Morristown is still a good 2+ hours away though. Will you be anywhere a little more southeast of Morristown haha

Could I check with a GM dealer about the rear diff, by providing them the VIN, right?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:50 PM

I already know what my tag is going to say.. "POPS V6" LMAO
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Caffeinated
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm game for spending money for the car, to better the car. I've been reading up about various things with them such as what TriGuy listed. Even what I learned in the past, I never knew about the rear diff being crappy, only thought it was the axles. I'm prepared to spend money to make it better but I do not want to be replacing **** that fails every other month I might take you up on the bama, Morristown is still a good 2+ hours away though. Will you be anywhere a little more southeast of Morristown haha

Could I check with a GM dealer about the rear diff, by providing them the VIN, right?
I might could work it into my trip to take a detour through your area...And yes you can check the VIN, Honestly I'd take a look at the diff itself and get the # off and check it that way...You never know if someone changed the diff not at the dealer....ie Shadetree
Old 11-24-2010, 11:54 AM

^^ Good idea man. Send me a PM a week or so in advance. Which way will you be coming from, Alabama? I59 runs throught Chattanooga and that's only about 30 minutes from me. We'll figure something out, I'm still having no luck on finding one to drive.

Chances are I will be buying from a member on the forum.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

^^ Good idea man. Send me a PM a week or so in advance. Which way will you be coming from, Alabama? I59 runs throught Chattanooga and that's only about 30 minutes from me. We'll figure something out, I'm still having no luck on finding one to drive.

Chances are I will be buying from a member on the forum.
Good Luck on your purchase.....I'll hit you up on my next trip through
Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM

Got your PM bama.. still thinking of a response.

I found an 05 V in Knoxville with 81k miles that has a "popping" coming from the rear end according to dealer.. They're going to sale as wholesale and I'm waiting for a call back from on a price. It is at a Lexus dealer.

Is the popping sign of the weak differentials or what? I've ripped spider gears out of a Dana 60 and they were popping like hell before they went out.

I will be going in the morning to test drive.. if the dealer shoots me a fair price.

HELP
Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM

Okay, dealer called back and said it will be "around 14-15,000..." I'm going to test drive it in the morning at 9 AM. I'll check back later for hopefully some updates on the "popping" diagnosis
Old 11-29-2010, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

be careful, there are a lot of guys that will try to save a few bucks by buying one with issues, and in the end the money they spend trying to get it right could have bought them one in mint condition.

what is your price range? any limits on mileage, color, etc?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM

Well according to CarFox it has had two owners.. No accidents or damage reported, and the types of owners were "corporate fleet & personal."

Called the Caddy dealer with the VIN to see if the rear diff had been replaced and they couldn't see if it had been or not.. but told me the clutch/pressure plates were replaced at 26k (I'm assuming first owner didn't know how to drive a manual). Aren't the axles known for causing a popping noise in the rear end?

CarFax available here:http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...DN56SX50143220 (although half the time they're BS)
Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Ill give you a good deal.. I have a 2005 CTS-V (bought off a member on here).. 41k.. SILVER W BLACK INTERIOR.. very clean.. Corsa exhaust (sounds amazing) and a UUC short shifter installed.. if your interested shoot me a PM.. ill give you a good deal.. starting my own company and need the start up $..
Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Well according to CarFox it has had two owners.. No accidents or damage reported, and the types of owners were "corporate fleet & personal."

Called the Caddy dealer with the VIN to see if the rear diff had been replaced and they couldn't see if it had been or not.. but told me the clutch/pressure plates were replaced at 26k (I'm assuming first owner didn't know how to drive a manual). Aren't the axles known for causing a popping noise in the rear end?

CarFax available here:http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...DN56SX50143220 (although half the time they're BS)
If it pops it'll probably be once and a big one LOL.....You will most likely have some rear noise at hwy speeds...I have a little in 6th under 2grand and the other 2 V's I've ridden in did too.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Looks like I'll be moving into a V sooner than later.. totaled my Acura TL yesterday on the way home from test driving a V :-/ Waiting on my adjuster to call to tell me the appraisal.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Damn man. Glad you (appear to have) walked away from it. Hope you're over 25 or the insurance will kill you if the wreck didn't lol.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Yeah insurance on the V under 30 can be pretty expensive..... especially with an accident or tickets. Sorry to hear about your TL. What the hell happened?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW!!

What Happen?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Looks like you 'rear ended' a tree. How's your neck.
Hopefully your insurance will assist in your new ride.
As long as your OK.
Some water on the road raises the oil and 'zippo'

I was lookin' down the road . . another 100 yards and . . you would be 'in the woods'

Count your blessings

Last edited by Stepside; 12-01-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

I have to say that's the first "a tree rear ended me story I've ever heard" Glad you're okay and I didn't see the towel you used to wipe out the driver's seat before taking the pic...aaaahhahaa