Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Radiator leak? You be the judge!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Radiator leak? You be the judge!

Since it has gotten warm, my coolant low light has been kicking on again. Recently, it's been coming on every 2-3 days provided I fill it back up to the cold line (when cold).

So I finally got some time to do a little investigative work today. I noticed some fluid pooled on the front plastic piece below the radiator. It rained a little yesterday while I drove about a mile, so I thought it could be water. I couldn't discern if it smelt like dirty water, or a 60/40 mix of water/coolant. So I wiped it down and took the car for a 5 mile spanking.

This is what it looked like before the drive/wipe-down. After the wipe-down you could tell it had been wet, but there wasn't any additional "pooling" of fluid.

After the drive this is what was in the same location. There was definitely more fluid in there, and it's dry/dry roads outside at the moment.

What do you guys think? Radiator leak? I couldn't see any fluid on the other side of the radiator/fans, and the belts were all dry, which makes me steer away from the idea that my water pump is leaking/spraying fluid.

I know I could search on this but . . . good source for a replacement? Not looking to drop 800 bucks on the race model, though I understand those who do. I'm just *** deep in a home remodel atm for a family member, so I'm trying to stay cash heavy for incidentals.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

pictures don't tell me anything, i don't know if anyone else would get any info from them.

you need a coolant system pressure tester to be sure.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.
well,
what do I think?
I think, if you used the SEARCH function, you would have found that almost EVERY cts-v known to man has a flaw rad, especially the 2005 and 2004 models.
Dealership replacement If I do recall.. there is a new part number that covers these rad defects...

Every rad will leak where the 4-5 fingers that are NOT folded.

Replace with the latest pn run,.
Look familiar?
Attached Thumbnails Radiator leak? You be the judge!-radflaw3.jpg  
Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol I love how people with bitch about someone not using the search but then reply. On the one hand they're being polite for answering, and on the other, still trying to be an pain. Thank you FOR the EMPHASSIS vmapper. FWIW I did search on the leak topic and read many many posts concerning the leak causes, but not specifically where to get a replacement, as most threads just concerned an autozone replacement that doesn't fit due to tranny cooler inserts, or the 800 dollar replacement.

I'm going to be replacing the radiator. This post was more for information and show and tell than information gathering. Sorry if this post disturbed your peaceful evening?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

People bitch about not using search, then they bitch when you bump old threads.

Posting on the internet can be like jacking off with a cheese grater.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
Posting on the internet can be like jacking off with a cheese grater.
I won't lie, this sounds kinda sexy.

-meaty
Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2005 CADILLAC CTS V 5.7L 346cid V8 FI (S) OHV : Cooling System : Radiator Wiki Price
ACDELCO Part # 21642 {#16051654, 19129908}
RADIATOR 6 SPD M/TRANS

$249.79

rockauto.com is the **** for replacement parts. shoot me a PM if you want to order I think I have a 10% off coupon code i wont be using.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://creative-steel.com/store/inde...ct_detail&p=44
Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RADEoN
People bitch about not using search, then they bitch when you bump old threads. .
Except that the old threads have Every part number listed, pictures, options because this type of subject has been beaten to death....and what need would you have to bring it out of the dead by posting?

Sorry if I came on strong...
Just some forums, especially HP Tuners lately... you get tired of the repeat re-regurgitation when all the answers are around already... in several re posts in fact.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just wanted sympathy and maybe a 10% off coupon .
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Picture seems off but could this be it via Amazon? Carries the same ACDelco part number that is found on ACDelco's website. Free shipping too.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-21642-.../dp/B000IXR72S
Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

I noticed a anti-freeze smell at the beginning of last summer....Had to fill up the tank a couple of times and found out that the V radiators are notorious for going bad. I bought a bottle of the stop-leak and poured it in. I figured that if it didn't help I had only wasted a couple bucks.....That was a year and over 50k ago and hasn't leaked since. I know "because I got scolded on here" that there are a lot of people that don't think the stop leak stuff works or is good for the car, but I have 111k on the clock now.....Soooo, good luck.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vmapper
Sorry if I came on strong...
Just some forums, especially HP Tuners lately... you get tired of the repeat re-regurgitation when all the answers are around already... in several re posts in fact.
This place is like childs-play. Post a stupid/repeated question on miataturbo.net, and you're perma-banned within the hour, if not minutes.

-meaty
Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

The difference is I posted pictures asking for an opinion. Not a "omg I smell coolant wtf is wrong" thread. That I could understand someone getting irked over.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was driving down the highway a couple weeks ago. Saw a car that looked like it was on fire, it had just pulled off. I stopped to help out, as the driver was a good looking gal in a pretty blue tight-fitting dress.

Turns out she just blew her radiator, more than likely fried the block, but I got her in the V and gave her a ride to the next exit Unfortunatly no "thank you" kiss, but it was nice to have her in the passenger seat for a little while

Radiator failures suck, but in this case, it was pleasant for me!

-meaty
Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

my factory water pump went out at 70k miles

look for a coolant getting slung around the engine bay or a wet line across the hood insulation
Old 06-16-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mightymouse,

Nothing of that nature. No coolant on the engine or hood, which is what made me suspect the radiator even more.

Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
my factory water pump went out at 70k miles

look for a coolant getting slung around the engine bay or a wet line across the hood insulation
Was getting ready to buy a new radiator this week but saw this thread. My car is slinging coolant all over the engine and a band across the hood liner. I'm losing way too much coolant to drive it.
Has anyone else had these exact symptoms and it be the water pump? Need to know before I spend $150 on a pump and that not be the problem.
THanks
Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Since it has gotten warm, my coolant low light has been kicking on again. Recently, it's been coming on every 2-3 days provided I fill it back up to the cold line (when cold).

What do you guys think? Radiator leak? I couldn't see any fluid on the other side of the radiator/fans, and the belts were all dry, which makes me steer away from the idea that my water pump is leaking/spraying fluid.
I removed the plastic 'pan' from underneath my '04 yesterday and it is wet along the bottom of the radiator. I've topped off the coolant about 3 times in the past month.

Going in Tuesday to get a pressure check, then most likely getting a new radiator for $50!(warranty)
Old 02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

I went through this with my car, not being able to figure out where the leak was coming from..even had the radiator pressure tested. It turned out to be the water pump but even then I still couldn't tell it was leaking from there...it was last thing on the list that you can't really check.

Quick Reply: Radiator leak? You be the judge!