Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Does anyone autocross their V?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does anyone autocross their V?

I have been to the last 2 in the area, and I like it. The V is a little big, but I am not there to win anything, just to have some fun. Plus it will help me with my driving skills. But I do want to do a couple mods that will help autocross be a little more enjoyable. I will eventually get KW's but I am not trying to spend that kinda $ right now. I was thinking about the Hotchkis Front & Rear Sway Bar Kit, does anyone on here have them, and if so what do you think about them? I am also going to get a custom short shifter, probably wont help with auto cross but atleast the car will feel better when I shift gears.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I've auto-crossed mine a couple of times when my normal auto-x car wasn't available. As you said, it's a bit big/heavy to be competitive, really, but it was still pretty fun. I think it's laughable that the car is classed in FS, but whatevah!

I would hesitate to put a larger front sway bar on the car. I installed the Hotchkis bars, then took the front bar off and went back to the stock one after a couple track events. I think the car's balance is better with just the larger rear bar. You can buy the Addco rear bar separately (pn 2289), whereas the Hotchkis bars are only available as the pair.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, I will be looking to get one in the next couple of days. Hopefully it will help me out. Would buying the adjustable sway bar links help any? What car do you normally run?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

I have a few times, yea a little big and heavy, but always fun and feels fast, lol. Last time out I even brought home 2nd in class trophy. And always a crowd pleaser.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6 SPEED Z
I have a few times, yea a little big and heavy, but always fun and feels fast, lol. Last time out I even brought home 2nd in class trophy. And always a crowd pleaser.
Yeah, I did FEEL like I was going fast, but after my heat I saw other cars that ran the same speed as I did, and they LOOKED slow, SMH. One thing that slowed me down, is that I was sideways out of almost every corner, I tried to give it too much gas. I have to learn moderation with the gas pedal, lol. I was trying to keep up with the miata's but there was no way I could have done that. I also just read that I should have put more air in my tires. I think I only had 32psi and I should have had about 40. And yes it was somewhat of a crowd pleaser, I had quite a few people asking about it. It was fun and I hope I can make it to the next one.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Launching!

I too have Hotchkis sway bars front and back
installed a few years ago, great for me
big improvement in the corners, V is more flat

Just installed LG Motorsports coilovers, makes the V firm NOT harsh and no noise.

Auto cross is ok, but like others said said the V is VERY heavy for an auto cross

OPEN TRACKS EVENTS: look for open track days.
I've been going for years and that's where the V shines...
$150 to $200/day, most places offer in car instructors for newbies, common four 20min sessions a day which means you can REALLY learn the line...

--Jerry
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jerrycecco
I too have Hotchkis sway bars front and back
installed a few years ago, great for me
big improvement in the corners, V is more flat

Just installed LG Motorsports coilovers, makes the V firm NOT harsh and no noise.

Auto cross is ok, but like others said said the V is VERY heavy for an auto cross

OPEN TRACKS EVENTS: look for open track days.
I've been going for years and that's where the V shines...
$150 to $200/day, most places offer in car instructors for newbies, common four 20min sessions a day which means you can REALLY learn the line...

--Jerry
I was talking to a guy about the track events, and he said that the V would do great out there. But he was telling my about the maintenance cost for the tires and such, it really starts to add up. About how much in total do you end up spending for a weekend at the track? It would be nice to go out and do a track event a couple times a year, just cant afford to do it once or twice a month like auto-x.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06blackonblackctsv
Thanks, I will be looking to get one in the next couple of days. Hopefully it will help me out. Would buying the adjustable sway bar links help any? What car do you normally run?
Adjustable end links won't hurt, but they're really not going to make much of a perceptible difference in handling. It's more a fine tuning thing, when you have nothing else to play with and want to spend some money. :p

My normal auto-x car is a N/A Subaru Legacy.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Adjustable end links won't hurt, but they're really not going to make much of a perceptible difference in handling. It's more a fine tuning thing, when you have nothing else to play with and want to spend some money. :p

My normal auto-x car is a N/A Subaru Legacy.
Ok, thanks. I will probably end up getting a better car for auto-x in the future, just not at this time. I would have problems fitting in the miata's and other tiny cars, I'm 6'6. How is the legacy? Are they competitive with all the 2 seaters that run.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06blackonblackctsv
I was talking to a guy about the track events, and he said that the V would do great out there. But he was telling my about the maintenance cost for the tires and such, it really starts to add up. About how much in total do you end up spending for a weekend at the track? It would be nice to go out and do a track event a couple times a year, just cant afford to do it once or twice a month like auto-x.
Even if you can only afford to do it once or twice, you owe it to yourself to get out to VIR, which is a couple/few hours away from where you are in Va Beach. VIR is one of the best road courses in all of North America. Here's a few laps from when I was there back in April:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXj--xLqRQI
(I hate the automatic embedding of video.)

Track events aren't cheap. Figure a couple nights in a hotel, ~$400-450 entry fee for a 2-day event, gas to get to and from the event and even more gas to run on track, food, probably at least some upgraded brake pads and fluid. It adds up.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Even if you can only afford to do it once or twice, you owe it to yourself to get out to VIR, which is a couple/few hours away from where you are in Va Beach. VIR is one of the best road courses in all of North America.
VIR is on my bucket list

I've done Laguna Seca many time back in the late 90's in a Vortech/Griggs DOHC 1996 Cobra
LS also a GREAT track......now I "race" LS only on PS3...sad....

Look for a track near you, try it in stock form
just replace brake fluid with high temp stuff like Motul
......but watch out you'll get hooked!!!! :-)

--Jerry
Old 06-21-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

I took mine to a SCCA auto x two weekends ago. They held the event at the Houston police academy driving center and aside from the scorching heat it was a great time.

The V performed as expected, anything that resembled a straight away I left two black marks, and the Miata's still kicked my ***.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i took my v out autox and it was fun, but like everyone said... those tight corners arent where this car has a prayer.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I autocross mine every month, it is just too much fun, not the best car for it, but really good. if you want two cheap things to make it more fun and easier, get a video camera mount and record yourself (fun to watch and can help you watch where you are loosing speed) and get a CG lock, it really helps hold you in the seat better.

http://www.amazon.com/Panavise-809-C...8708904&sr=8-1

there are always tons of performance mods you can do, but none will be as effective as the driver... look for an autocross driving school.

I would like to hit a track day one day, but there is a lot more liability there, especially for my daily driver, i can spin out all day long at autocross and only hit a few cones
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Going to the track isn't that expensive when you're first starting out. Your street tires will last a while. At first HP plus pads lasted a while for me as well. I realize our region is cheap compared to others but NASA weekends are only $280 for both days. Then you can camp at the track and bring your own food to save money. Just gas after that. Once you start getting faster is when you start wearing out and breaking ****. Ask me how I know...
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

I ran my 05 V for a year in ESP, including one SCCA National Tour event. I had basic mods: FG2 shocks, GC coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Hoosier A6 tires and some very basic engine mods. You can have a lot of fun--the power is great, and the brakes are as good as anything you'll find out there. But the wheelbase and heft make the V uncompetitive outside of local events.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Track events aren't cheap. Figure a couple nights in a hotel, ~$400-450 entry fee for a 2-day event, gas to get to and from the event and even more gas to run on track, food, probably at least some upgraded brake pads and fluid. It adds up.
There is NO way I can spend that much right now, I have to wait until my birthday or next fathers day or something. Becuase if I dont, I would have to buy the wife ALOT of ****, lol. Normally when I get something she gets something almost as good. ex. I got my zx10, she got a zx6, I got the V, she got a Navigator, I got a blue paintball gun, she got a pink paint ball gun, I got a .40, she got a 9. Imma try to get up there for my birthday, but if not I can probably swing next fathers day. Damn I feel like a kid again, asking for permission, I thought that **** changed when you grew up, guess not. SMH
Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to do autocrosses once a month in my Miata.

Placed 2nd in my class, missed first by a couple tenths of a second, and I had the car down a couple events for a motor swap.

I can't WAIT to do it in the V.

It's gonna be a sideways smoke show

-meaty

Quick Reply: Does anyone autocross their V?