Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Who doesn't run plates on track day? Here is a fix.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who doesn't run plates on track day? Here is a fix.

If your paranoid like me, you take your plate off on trackday. I have a vanity plate that's pretty easy to remember so it's like telling everyone your social security number. Underneath the plate I put this graphic. I pull off the plate on track day. The *** of the V doesn't look so humongous.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Big Bu Bu; 06-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart idea thx think im going to have to jock this.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

guess i just dont get why you would take your plate off on track day, but still looks good either way.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rocket2ya
guess i just dont get why you would take your plate off on track day, but still looks good either way.
samething i was thinking, u drive around all day with it on, but take it off at the track? whats the point?
Edit: and then u post a pic of the plate on the World Wide Web?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm confused too, unless you are worried about the insurance company having proof that you were at the track or something...
Old 06-25-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Like I said I'm paranoid.......are you threatening me?

BTW it's a joke. However, I have been told countless times never to run a vanity plate on track day. I suppose it's because you can run with plenty of guys in "white 911s" or "yellow Z06s" but they always remain anonymous. Throw a vanity plate into the mix and you loose your anonymity and now get lodged into peoples memory. On the track some guys like that. Some guys don't. Another rumor and urban legend is that your license plate could be photographed at the track which could create issues with your new car warranty or your insurance (tracking your car is a no-no) company. Anyway I'm just having some fun with it and to tell the truth I like the car better without the rear plate.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

^ It is not a rumor. There have been times where insurance companies have dropped people after knowing they went to the track..you see it all over the interwebz.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
^ It is not a rumor. There have been times where insurance companies have dropped people after knowing they went to the track..you see it all over the interwebz.
SEE!! I told you! I am paranoid now.
Seriously though, there was a guy at my last track day at Road America who had a new Nissan GTR. Warranty issues on this car are very expensive, especially the transmission. More than one fellow driver told him to loose the plate when he's on the track.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
Can you refer us to an example? In my 11 years of open track events I have yet to hear of anyone at an event who had their insurance cancelled.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Can you refer us to an example? In my 11 years of open track events I have yet to hear of anyone at an event who had their insurance cancelled.
X100....The only thing I've heard/seen that's related on any level is a guy kissed the wall in a T/A at the dragstrip. He drove it out on the 4-lane and put it against the guardrail and called the po-pos and followed the "OMG I just had an accident" protocol. Well all worked out until his ex-wife got wind of it and provided pics to the insurance adjuster.....Policy cancelled and LIFETIME ban with State Farm.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talk to Kmajeki. He got caught tracking his V by State Farm's internet investigative team. He was on the CF a while back with his maggied '04. He ended up winning his battle but it caused him a lot of grief. It was his YouTube page that got him in trouble. He had track day videos up.

I dont know what insurance companies are actively searching for members with fast cars, but I know State Farm does.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Shut up Pat Just get paranoid and move on.

Last edited by Big Bu Bu; 06-26-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used to work for an insurance company, trust me they do this. They also look at your facebook/myspace accounts if they can, and see if they can get any more information about you from there. I have a friend that had quite a bit done to his Supra, and took it to shows a lot, but hardly ever drove it, talked to his insurance about paying More, so he can get the car valued higher in case it was stolen. next month got his cancellation on it.

They will be looking for any excuse at all to not pay your claim. If something happens to your car, it's best not to mention it at all online until after the insurance has already payed to fix it.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

I guess that makes sense, pretty smart just to take it off. I just never have heard of that before
Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Launching!

just think of the weight savings!!!
lol.....

--Jerry
Old 06-26-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

a minute or two of googling will come up with examples from boards all over.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Like I said I'm paranoid.......are you threatening me?

BTW it's a joke. However, I have been told countless times never to run a vanity plate on track day. I suppose it's because you can run with plenty of guys in "white 911s" or "yellow Z06s" but they always remain anonymous. Throw a vanity plate into the mix and you loose your anonymity and now get lodged into peoples memory. On the track some guys like that. Some guys don't. Another rumor and urban legend is that your license plate could be photographed at the track which could create issues with your new car warranty or your insurance (tracking your car is a no-no) company. Anyway I'm just having some fun with it and to tell the truth I like the car better without the rear plate.
I don't understand why those guys would want to be anonymous. Plus how many people actually remember someone's vanity plate other than if its custom.

Hmm... I didn't think about that for insurance.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmmm ... interesting thread. I have never thought about this before. The postings discussing the insurance companies tactics has convinced me .... hell, it's only two bolts and the plate is off before trailering to the track!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
Hmmmm ... interesting thread. I have never thought about this before. The postings discussing the insurance companies tactics has convinced me .... hell, it's only two bolts and the plate is off before trailering to the track!
that or hell 2 pieces of tape and a piece of paper will do the job
Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With the insurance companies thats really only if you're trying to lie to them and say it didn't happen on the track, which is called insurance fraud. I think the OP is talking more about people getting a little upset at him when he passes some 90k porsche and the guy starts to realize it isn't all the cars fault he was passed. A local (well known) Supra guy had his 8 second car burst into flames at the track. He towed it out to the road and said he was sitting at the stop sign, not that he bouncing off the 8k rev limiter. The insurance somehow found out the my buddy had a video of this and got his cell number from someone.

Quick Reply: Who doesn't run plates on track day? Here is a fix.