Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

VIDEO: Took an epic road trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIDEO: Took an epic road trip

K. So a few days ago I was by myself in Redding, CA and needed to get back home to Folsom. I decided to take the (really) long way home and drive some roads that we've used before for car testing in the magazine that I write for some. Wow. I've had GT3s, Caymans, etc on these roads, but wow. The V (as it is set up currently) did quite well! I was shocked! A lot of this was to the credit of the Bridgestone RE-11s that I just installed.

Anyway, so here's a map of the route I took, with an overnight stay in Ferndale. From Ferndale, I took this absolutely incredible road called "The Wildcat" (Google it) out to the Lost Coast, which is Cali's only coastal wilderness.

A few shots taken on the drive...

And here's the vid. The first minute is slower, but I'm getting going, and that section of the road was REALLY rough. Really wish I had thought to bring my Hero Cam. So hard to drive this kind of stuff with one hand.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB2ocItA3LA
Old 07-10-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jealous!

-meaty
Old 07-10-2011, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

+1 on the Jealous side. i cant wait to find some roads like that on mine. Kinda hard to find in oklahoma tho.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They let you out of prison for a roadtrip (Folsom)? he he

I've taken the V up to northern CA a couple times and it's always been a nice car to drive on long trips, although I'm always on a time crunch it seems, so stuck to the 5...been on some of the cut thru's here and there in central/northern CA, OR and WA and so nice to take one of those 2 lanes roads...We (in CA) have some really awesome roads that few know about (or take) and I'm always so tempted to take the 33 and a few other 'side' roads on my way up to norcal, but just no time. Someday.

But, looks like a fun route you took and certainly the right car to take it in...Comfortable, gets good mileage and has decent passing power when you need it!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:13 PM

Aren't the KWs great? I love em.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Awesome trip, You guys got some scenery, unlike the UAE, all you see is SAND !
Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by UAE_Z28
Awesome trip, You guys got some scenery, unlike the UAE, all you see is SAND !
UAE eh? How's the weather now? I'm headed to Abu Dhabi/Al Dhafra next week. I'll miss my V
Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
Jealous!

-meaty
I would be too!

Originally Posted by JOHN STEPHENS
+1 on the Jealous side. i cant wait to find some roads like that on mine. Kinda hard to find in oklahoma tho.
Yeah. I drove through OK on my way from TN to CA (just moved). I was like, "I think I'd actually get into the quarter mile if I lived here!"

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
They let you out of prison for a roadtrip (Folsom)? he he

I've taken the V up to northern CA a couple times and it's always been a nice car to drive on long trips, although I'm always on a time crunch it seems, so stuck to the 5...been on some of the cut thru's here and there in central/northern CA, OR and WA and so nice to take one of those 2 lanes roads...We (in CA) have some really awesome roads that few know about (or take) and I'm always so tempted to take the 33 and a few other 'side' roads on my way up to norcal, but just no time. Someday.

But, looks like a fun route you took and certainly the right car to take it in...Comfortable, gets good mileage and has decent passing power when you need it!
Yeah. I must say, a car like a GT3 really handles this stuff much better. I had a 997S (supercharged) with Motons that I had up here and it was incredible. It didn't get unsettled by all the potholes at all. The V got horrible mileage on this run, because for most of the trip (maybe 400mi) it was in third gear and above 4500rpm! But yeah, the passing power on these back roads (you come around a corner, see that you have a bit of room, and PUNCH IT before the next turn!) is wonderful!

Originally Posted by JMPumford
Aren't the KWs great? I love em.
Don't have them installed yet. They are in the trunk waiting on Wednesday to get here. They are getting installed, along with crossdrilled rotors, pads, a new ebrake shoe, stainless braided lines, BMR rear trailing arms and toe kit, BMR strut brace, etc. Also getting corner balanced. Should feel much better (though it was good!) the next time I take that drive. I have another scheduled from Redding to Portland and then down through Bend in a few weeks.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, some those roads would be helluva lotta fun in something like a cobra (for me, just love those and someday ) or something like a fast porsche, etc., or a bike, if you're into those. The only thing that makes me a bit nervous about getting on the car too hard on remote roads, is just in case something happens and the car decides it wants to breakdown, etc. Unlikely probably, but in the back of my mind.

I haven't really pushed this car yet and especially on the twisties, but bet it would be a lot of fun and in some instances, be more than I care to handle, lol. However, I do want to take the V up some of our mountain roads here, as I sort of know them enough to have some fun, but no overdo it. The bad part is other drivers and once you start getting up in elevation, you really notice the power loss; esp N/A. I took my vr4 up to mountains once and wow, even with a turbo (putting out good amount of psi), you really notice the power drop! I suppose you could better tune for it, but still, we are spoiled at sea level, smooth, long wide roads and high speed limits.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JMPumford
UAE eh? How's the weather now? I'm headed to Abu Dhabi/Al Dhafra next week. I'll miss my V

45C Morning, 35+ Night, approx 40-70% humidity. Never rains. Why don't u have your V shipped here, or maybe buy a new one if you're gonna stay long.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like i'ma be planning a road trip here soon.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by UAE_Z28
45C Morning, 35+ Night, approx 40-70% humidity. Never rains. Why don't u have your V shipped here, or maybe buy a new one if you're gonna stay long.

I'm only going to be there 6 months.

And OP, you will love the KWs!!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man! I think I'm going to forgo the labor charge and install them myself. I'll put the money saved on some scales!

Quick Reply: VIDEO: Took an epic road trip