Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Carmax...what a joke!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Carmax...what a joke!

So, I've been on a quest to find a particular truck and the couple I found I had to look into trading the V in...Well, they all vary and most of them were quoting $20k-$21k for trade in...Not *quite* what I wanted, but if the right deal was for the truck, I could live with it for the convenience factor...

anyway, the last dealer I went to gave me a pathetic figure of $18,200 and gave me some BS line about it...He claimed that he spoke to Carmax and they'd give me more...I was highly skeptical, but decided to spend the 30 minutes or so to find out.

Well, are you ready for this?

$16,000...LOL! Wow, that was pretty pathetic...Granted, I do have 65k, but come on! Needless to say, I'll never step foot into one of those joke places again.

anyway, as you guys probably know, don't think about trading these in, unless you just want to dump it and give it to the dealer...So, that leaves private party, in which I just don't want to mess with...so, looks like I'm just going to keep this car for awhile!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:57 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Truth be told Carmax will screw anyone over. I worked at the Laurel MD store three months after it opened (this was the second Carmax, the first store was Richmond where Circuit City is HQ'd). Long story short, after five years of exemplary service and working my way from technician up to Operations Manager I was fired b/c my 1 y/o son was diagnosed with AML Leukemia.

Circuit City (the parent company) was self insured, to include their Health Care which was managed by Care First. My son cost them almost 600k after three rounds of Chemo and a bone marrow transplant and a eight month stay at Johns Hopkins Pediatric Oncology. He was diagnosed in January and Carmax fired me in August.

When I was fired in August, the EOB's from April were still being processed and started showing up as being declined. I later received a State mandated document for my Cobra medical benefits and my son was omitted entirely, as if he had never existed. In short, they canceled any pending payments and declined every other medical bill even though I had coverage at the time. Very ballsy.

Anyhow, since I was a five year employee, I could only be fired on the grounds of "Loss Prevention". Carmax concocted a half assed accusation that I had had work done to a vehicle that I was purchasing and never paid for it...even though I had the check they had cashed in hand...with the Repair Order number on it. I won the unemployment hearing and filed an EEOC complaint as I fell under the Americans with Disabilities act b/c of my sons condition. Carmax settled out of court after almost two years and still insisted they had done nothing wrong.

**** Carmax.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hope your boy is doing OK...that is plain messed up what they did. My son had leukemia when he was less than a year old (It's been while, but it was the worst kind) and know what you have gone thru...to be kicked in the face like that would really add insult to injury! Thankfully we didn't have quite that problem, although I did have to do a B/K from all the bills and such...This was in 1997 and he went thru the treatments and all that for a couple years, but we insisted on him staying at home as much as possible so they put a broviac to his heart and we gave him injections that way...With that, some homeopathic stuff and many prayers, I'm happy to say he's been in remission for several years and is now a 'normal' 15 year old boy. He had some hold backs growing up from all the nasty meds they had to give him as an infant, but I think he's recovered mostly. Thank God for his healing and for it happening at such a young age as to him not remembering any of it...Really sad. I hope that your son will have the same recovery and wish him well; there is hope!

But yeah, Carmax does seem like a crappy place...I couldn't believe just how bad of a number they gave me...that is almost funny.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still unsure why anyone thinks they'll get a "fair" trade-in offer. The businesses are out to make money. Used car sales make a lot more money than new car sales. These particular cars are also "niche" vehicles b/c of the 6 spd trans which can make them more difficult to sell quickly.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it depends on the geographical location and what sort of dealership it is. Around here we have a lot of "auto malls" that the dealers use these cars as exposure pieces sometimes...just all depends on the dealership, its location and customer base.

In the past, I've gotten fair trades on all my vehicles, with the exception of maybe one or two of them...But lately, things are a lot different and it's interesting how much they vary!

Only reason I'd do it is for the convenience factor and not dealing with clowns and I don't have the luxury of extra time for that unfortunately...So, I'll sacrifice the money there as long as it's reasonable...Say I know they'll sell my car for $25k (after negotiation), I would expect $21k to be a reasonable figure and they are also making money on the new one too, of course...I've seen the ranges now and most all are similar, but that one, carfax is just plain silly...
Old 10-16-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know quite a few people that have sold their cars to carmax and been happy. Fact of the matter is it all depends on the car. My buddy sold his solstice GXp to them for 16,700 and privtae sale value was only 17,000. Also knew someone who was going to ask 5,000 for an 02 honda civic with 35k miles. Took it to carmax and they bought it for 6,700. Market for older performace cars especially ones not many people know about sucks. With the 09+ out it also kills the image of our car.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got an offer for 18k flat or 19.5 trade in on my v at carmax, I was curious, I have an 06 with 44k miles, seems low dont it?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, your miles are low so that helps, although I would think that would be about what a dealer would offer for an '06 (~$19.5) or a little more, but could be wrong.

Interesting, so they give you more if you buy something from them? I was under the impression they offered the same either way, but guess not...

Yeah, guess it depends on the car and even dealers know very little about these cars, unfortunately...I've heard other people being happy with carmax, but I'll never do business with them. I almost bought an '05 V from there right before I found mine, and while the price was 'OK', don't recall them offering me much for my '05 WK 5.7 (which is usually a good trade in) and of course they have 0 flexibility...may be good for some people, but it didn't seem like a good enough deal (and more questionable than a regular dealer on what they have)...
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

carmax has to make a profit on your trade ins... they arent going to give out retail pricing. they have to wholesale it (usually) and they never know exactly what they are getting into... back in 05 i took a 95 acura integra gsr. body was converted to the newer 98 plus... perfect interior nice after market wheels, new tires, clean title and was offered 800 lol... but carmax will buy anything, and depending on your location, that can ultimately affect the market for that area as well... i think its a fair offer not a good offer, but they are there to make money, trade ins are hardly worth it half the time... on my 03 F250 i was looking at getting a V or a G8 GXP... on the V i was offered 16500 but they were willing to 19500 if i was going for the new G8... tons of factors... but carmax is expensive, but they back all the cars they sell... so you have to pay for that service...

good luck in your search
Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely don't expect retail and know they need to make money, but even factoring in a good $5k difference, would think at least $19k offer...But yeah, definitely affected by the dealer and a bunch of other factors and probably even the time of week/month, etc. and what you're looking at buying.

One thing I've noticed about newer GM's (least the ones I was looking at) is the margins are much less than they used to be, so they don't discount them much anymore. In some ways that's alright, but the darn cars are so expensive now, I hinestly don't know how people do it...

Hate to say this, but I'm thinking my next vehicle will not be a GM and I may even *gasp* buy an import Haven't owned any really (other than the VR-4) except a couple for the wife and we always end up making out pretty decent with resale/demand when it's time to trade in or sell...Sucks, cause I've been a loyal GM fan for over 20 years, but kind of come to the realization that they are big money losers (when buying new or close to).
Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Carmax is a joke.....stay or just run away
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Carmax is and always will be ****... Circuit City wasnt much better to work for. I lived in laurel and know people who bought/sold through laurel. Always sell WAY high(blue book my ***) and buy well under blue book/black book and will site the Biggest BULL **** stories to prove why your car is worth **** and theirs is worth more(even though itll spend weeks at a time in a repair shop not long after purchase).

And to DMM, I hope you sue the **** out of them. After that BULLSHIT you should be looking to end up owning a store or two. Hope your son is doing better...
Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another factor/selling point for trade-in offers are tax savings which could be close to $1500.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Carmax offered my wife 1100 for a 40k mile 2000 blazer 2 door in 2008/ I mean I know it was 8 years old but it had NO miles on it.

She ended up taking it to a toyota dealer and getting I think 2500 for it as well as a huge price drop on the corolla.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

carmax has always been a joke. i remember years ago taking my 3 month old 3 series bmw for an appraisal just because i was in the area and flirting with the idea of getting a new 5.

$18,100 for a 3 month old bmw with <3,000 miles.

yeah, okay buddy. what i also found funny was a 3 series sitting in the showroom floor that was almost 6 years older for $17,000.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM

its business. They have the big name... the gimmicky "no haggle" pricing that ensures they make money on the deal and then some of the most under paid commisioned car sales reps out there. That only make money on volume, if its there.

WIth anything that isnt concidered a high volume car that is for the MASSES, like our cars, its best to privatly sell it or assume a big loss trading in. Its a Niche car and they are harded to sell so they dont want to deal with em most of the time.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a friend that used to work there told me a large percentage of cars they buy just go to auction.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 AM

and even those they keep are POSs. My brother got a maxima there and paid for their stupid waranty. It was in their shop for brake issues(mostly repeating problems that they never actually fixed) for a week at a time 3-4 times over the first summer he had it. THreatened to hire a lawyer and got his money back... All of it. Car was such a POS.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
D.K
On The Tree

I bought my V thru CarMax. I originally planned on using my 2005 S4 as a trade until they started giving me BS about how whenever a uni-body car is involved in an accident, it's automatically considered salvage. I wouldn't have even bought my V from them, but the low mileage and condition was hard to pass up.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
Truth be told Carmax will screw anyone over. I worked at the Laurel MD store three months after it opened (this was the second Carmax, the first store was Richmond where Circuit City is HQ'd). Long story short, after five years of exemplary service and working my way from technician up to Operations Manager I was fired b/c my 1 y/o son was diagnosed with AML Leukemia.

Circuit City (the parent company) was self insured, to include their Health Care which was managed by Care First. My son cost them almost 600k after three rounds of Chemo and a bone marrow transplant and a eight month stay at Johns Hopkins Pediatric Oncology. He was diagnosed in January and Carmax fired me in August.

When I was fired in August, the EOB's from April were still being processed and started showing up as being declined. I later received a State mandated document for my Cobra medical benefits and my son was omitted entirely, as if he had never existed. In short, they canceled any pending payments and declined every other medical bill even though I had coverage at the time. Very ballsy.

Anyhow, since I was a five year employee, I could only be fired on the grounds of "Loss Prevention". Carmax concocted a half assed accusation that I had had work done to a vehicle that I was purchasing and never paid for it...even though I had the check they had cashed in hand...with the Repair Order number on it. I won the unemployment hearing and filed an EEOC complaint as I fell under the Americans with Disabilities act b/c of my sons condition. Carmax settled out of court after almost two years and still insisted they had done nothing wrong.

**** Carmax.
I'll never buy anything from Carmax OR Circuit City because of this. EVER.

I'm sorry to hear they are fucktards. I hope your son is doing better also!

Quick Reply: Carmax...what a joke!