Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gremlins?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Gremlins?

Anyone have intermittent warning lights? Yesterday I started my car, and the TC light on the instrument cluster came on and wouldn't turn off. The TC button was inoperable. I shut the car off, and then restarted it and everything was normal. Today while driving on the highway, my airbag light came on for a couple seconds and then just shut off. Car is a 2005, about 22k miles. Never noticed anything like this before. Have had it since July, and drive it every day. Maybe an alternator or low battery scrambling its brains?

Anyone ever experience anything similar? This car or others?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How's the battery?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haven't checked the voltage actually. Car starts nice and strong, and it's much warmer the last couple days than its been for 6 months. I'll look at that before and after starting. There's a readout in the DIC right? Hard part is remembering to do it.

Definitely no other problems. Completely stock except a few bushings and high-flow cats.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My information at the top of the screen, trip, MPG, etc. only displays when it wants to. Start the car sometimes it's there sometimes it's not.

The car honks twice every time I push unlock with either remote. And honks once when I push lock. Even though in the computer it clearly says not to. Very annoying.

And just recently it's decided that it has 44psi oil when the car is not running lol. That's a easy fix I've read tho. My 02 fbody didn't give me any ****... I miss that car sometimes.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

isis, it's probably battery related, or a bad ground. If you need any help I'd be glad to take a look at it for you, assuming you'd be willing to drive up here (15644 zip code). If you're interested, PM me with your number and I'll text you.

And before you ask, all labor charges for the V community is a flat rate 0/hr.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Appreciate the offer. If its that simple it'll be easy to diagnose. I'll look at the grounds too. Just wondered if an occasional brain fart is common. Not sure if there's even a problem at this point.

Forgot to mention, I have the PA15VETTE iPod interface too. Can't imagine that's related but full disclosure and whatever
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah isis your problem sounds battery related. As far as the others who posted, I believe those issues could be software related. More than likely your DIC needs to be re-flashed.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nah it's not a DIC flash issue. there's either a bad sensor going crazy, but I would start by checking the grounds on the back of the heads, then the washer by the strut brace, then the battery.

I think it may be the battery.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input so far guys. Battery voltage looks fine. The reverse indicator on the speedo stayed on today. As soon as I stopped, put it in reverse and took it out, the indicator went out. I did notice the battery voltage seemed to creep around, between 13.6 and 14.2. If I turned on the headlights it dropped about 0.2V on the indicator. Highbeams pulled it down another 0.2. Looks like a ground issue to me. I'll go over the grounds this weekend and measure actual voltage at the battery with a DVM and see where reality lies.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Sometimes my reverse lockout does the same thing where it'll indicate that I'm still in reverse until I put it back into reverse and pull it out. Not sure if that's just a sticky solenoid or what.

Although your battery voltage seems in the acceptable range to me, sometimes the Cadillac just does some weird things.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RADEoN
nah it's not a DIC flash issue.
I was referring to the issues the other two guys put up. I said isis' issue was battery related. Mine acted the same way when my battery took a crap.

Originally Posted by isis
Thanks for the input so far guys. Battery voltage looks fine.Looks like a ground issue to me. I'll go over the grounds this weekend and measure actual voltage at the battery with a DVMand see where reality lies.
That is exactly what you need to do. All you are basically seeing by watching the DIC is what the alt is doing. The battery can be toast and the alt still be putting out the correct volts. And the drops you saw when turning on your lights were absolutely normal.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmokd U
I was referring to the issues the other two guys put up. I said isis' issue was battery related. Mine acted the same way when my battery took a crap.

That is exactly what you need to do. All you are basically seeing by watching the DIC is what the alt is doing. The battery can be toast and the alt still be putting out the correct volts. And the drops you saw when turning on your lights were absolutely normal.
Actually I checked the DIC before starting it too, after goosing the starter to bleed off surface charge. I did see closer to 11.9-12.3 volts after work when I did that, so yeah, probably need a battery. It really could be the original one in there at 22k miles, even 8 years later. Pretty sure it was garaged when it was cold out before I bought it.

The part I don't get, is the airbag light coming on when I'm driving. The battery is pretty much an anchor when the car is driving. It's all alternator. And the reverse indicator too. If that just happens, I hope the reverse lights out back aren't on. That would be kind of embarrassing.

Last edited by isis; 04-11-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The battery voltage you are seeing on the DIC is only part of the issue. On newer vehicles that have many different modules, grounding can become quite precarious with age. However, the physical ground connections are not the only opportunities in the system.

I first advised the battery as the battery can develop high internal resistance to ground over time. The resulting problems can vary, however usually manifest themselves in the ancillary functions (gauges, DIC, etc.) as having a grounding issue that cannot be readily traced to any one point.

Try a new battery. The AGM batteries specified for our models seem to be particularly vulnerable to this.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I checked the voltage before starting it this morning. 11.2 VDC. I found one at the parts store next to my work. Will drop by and put it in this afternoon. I'm also going to change the oil this weekend so I figured I'd look over the grounds then too while I'm crawling and poking around.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

New battery fixed voltage levels but not airbag light. Searching at the other forum and a call to my buddy at the dealership points to an intermittent connection at one of the airbags. A code will be stored but clears when you shut the car off. I'll post back here when I find the code. Should tell me which one it is. My money's on one of the seats.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty much guaranteed to be the passenger seat. I believe it is kind of a known issue where the connector is not pushed together completely. A simple disconnect and reconnect usually fixes it. Mine did the same.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok now the brand new battery is dead after sitting all weekend. Any ideas now?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isis
Ok now the brand new battery is dead after sitting all weekend. Any ideas now?
Short? Definitely sounds like there is a draw on the system somewhere. Start at your grounds and work your way thru the wiring from there.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Saw a tsb for the interior dimmer. Build date is 9/2004 so it's a real possibility. Anyone with an 04-05 see this problem fixed by replacing a dimmer? Looks like about a hundred bucks in parts.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes on my 04. Also on the airbag move the passenger front seat forward a bit. play with the connectors under and see if that fixes it. It does on my 04.

Quick Reply: Gremlins?