Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Factory V1 Wheels: Paint or Powder coat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory V1 Wheels: Paint or Powder coat?

Looking for opinions, comments, concerns, but most importantly, TESTIMONIALS about refinishing the factory V1 wheels.

I'm on the fence between powder coating or painting my wheels (gloss black) to match my Black Raven V.

Pros/Cons to either? There are two reputable companies in my city that specialize in each separate method. Just want to make sure I make the right choice.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Launching!

PC is typically more durable.. You might be able to get some more fancy/unique colors with paint, but that doesn't matter since you're going with black... A well done gloss black paint job will be "glossier" than gloss powder coat, if that's important. But I'd see it as more paint that needs to be taken extra care of. PC is more robust and really requires nothing more than a regular wipe-down with quick detailer spray to keep looking clean and good.. Given equal pricing and turnaround time, my vote goes to PC and that's exactly what I did with my own wheels.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My factory wheels are powdercoated. They look factory and hold up GREAT. I have painted wheels before, and they do turn out well if you prep right, but they are always more prone to scratching than powdercoat is. Upside is you only spend $50 to paint versus $400 to powdercoat.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like my PC but they need to be redone.......
Old 12-04-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powdercoat for sure but just remember if you decide to change the color it will cost you more to have them redone. I had my stock wheels powdercoated and 3 years later the gloss black looked the exact same as the day they were done.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

If you daily drive or any serious driving with it, PC. Far more durable and long lasting. If done by a reputable coater, it will have a great look and finish. If it's something you drive on the weekends or only so often, paint would be better IMO. Looks much better, and you can still put a sealant or a chemical paint coating to reduce the chance of scratching or chips.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Powder coat, paint chips if you happen to break a breaker bar or a 36 inch bar ratchet while undoing lug nuts; whereas powder coat doesn't. Moral of the story : Cobalt tools suck bad, and powder coat is well worth it in the long run just like quality tools.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

From past experience on different cars other than my V1. Like stated, paint looks better but doesn't last near as long as PC. The difference in the two is to small to want to pick paint over PC. I've had many wheels PC, and will always choose PC over paint
Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Looks like the verdict is in, and it was the answer I was anticipating. Just needed confirmation from people who have already pulled the trigger. Thanks all! Powder coating looks to be the way to go.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Make sure they don't powder the inside of the wheel hub. You'll have fun getting the wheels off next time
Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Factory finish is known to give some refinishers a rough time when removing it.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rjoffe
Factory finish is known to give some refinishers a rough time when removing it.

Good thing I'm taking it to a reputable company. All the classic car nuts in town take anything they need powder coated to this shop. I'm guessing this won't throw them for a loop.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

The verdict may be in, but consider.. after having 2 cars with pc wheels I now have both my V and Infiniti painted. As someone else stated the paint is cheaper, but consider that although it does chip, so does PC and when the paint chips it is very easy to touch up. You have to redo the PC when its chipped and that costs. My paint (black) on my wheels has held up just fine for the last 2 years, every once in a while I get a small chip but I touch it up with a small brush and matched color..... DONE.

My g35 had beautiful powdercoated wheels, until one day a piece of a tire was in the freeway, gouged a chunk out of one of them... that cost a bit of money to redo.

PC does hold up better, but wheels are wheels and will get scratches, dings, and chips no matter what. So you can spend a little money every year touching them up, or ride the PC for several years then completely redo. Up to you and really one isnt better than the other...
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by karlmisery
Good thing I'm taking it to a reputable company. All the classic car nuts in town take anything they need powder coated to this shop. I'm guessing this won't throw them for a loop.
My powder coater had a real hard time with mine, both removing and applying. I ended up wet sanding them for about 10 hours each to get them to look nice. If your shop is reputable then I'm sure it will be fine. This was a small friends shop.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Neither. Plasti dip!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Truck10
Neither. Plasti dip!
From friends' testimonials, plastidip and high speed revolutions don't seem to want to agree with each other.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Not that I have went to any track days but I rocked my wheels dipped with plenty of Mexico highway runs and no issues?
Old 12-06-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karlmisery
From friends' testimonials, plastidip and high speed revolutions don't seem to want to agree with each other.
I've experienced this also

Originally Posted by cgroh89
Not that I have went to any track days but I rocked my wheels dipped with plenty of Mexico highway runs and no issues?
I've had the wheel dip unravel from the outer lip. Didn't stick or hold up well on the outer lip after about 130+ and disconnected.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried Plasti-dip on a diff set of wheels... Suck! Never again.

My vote:
Straight black to match the car then paint.
Black chrome then go PC.

FWIW I have a set 5 factory wheels if anyone needs to play the exchange game and not have the V on down time. Just PM me.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2007V
My powder coater had a real hard time with mine, both removing and applying. I ended up wet sanding them for about 10 hours each to get them to look nice. If your shop is reputable then I'm sure it will be fine. This was a small friends shop.
How small is your friend?

I just painted mine. I put on many, many coats. I'm hoping they hold up well. I won't be too bummed if they don't though because, as said above, it was cheap and they look great.

Quick Reply: Factory V1 Wheels: Paint or Powder coat?