Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1 stuck in 1st gear, possible linkage break???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 stuck in 1st gear, possible linkage break???

I was accelerating from a stop light tonight (normally, not spirited), heard something fall and hit the tranny, and had to turn around and drive home in 1st gear doing 16mph. I haven't been able to find someone with the exact issue, any help or input is greatly appreciated. Is this a bushing problem or should I buy a new shifter? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the shifter completely loose? There's a chance the bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage backed out and fell. Slide under it and it should be pretty obvious.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Shifter is completely disengaged from tranny. I noticed more slop than usual this week and shifts didn't feel as smooth as they usually do. I haven't had a chance to crawl under it, will check it out tomorrow. If it is just that bolt, just throw a new one in and I'll be good to go?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. However, don't overtighten it and use thread lock. Give it some time to cure before shifting a bunch. Once you have it all together, it'll probably feel a little stiff but should loosen up with some driving.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it stock shifter? Either way pull up on the shifter to get the **** of. take off the boot and remove the foam. Have a quick look. Takes two seconds. Sometimes if you have an aftermarket shifter the bolts that hold it from the top come loose. Then look under the car to see if bolt is missing.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

there's the whole shifter. My guess is that something came loose going to the shifter from the middle linkage. Whether the stud that gets clipped onto the trans broke, or the bolt came out of the shifter.

Something being broken in the transmission cannot be ruled out.

http://image.highperformancepontiac....er-linkage.jpg

that link shows how the t56 (the cts-v obviously has different external parts) connects. That pin is inserted into a cup, and that's how the shifts are made.

I wouldn't be shocked if this was broken, either.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

I pulled the boot off and the cup is all good. I am going to crawl up under the V once my son goes down for a nap. I am almost positive it will be a bolt, I heard one fall off when everything in the shifter gave. Let's say it is just the bolt, does anyone know the specs on the bolt so I can get a new one? I would like to get up and running today if at all possible. Thanks for the input so far guys.

-Damien
Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Damien, if you can tell me exactly what is missing on your car I can pull and measure it as I have a complete T56 & shifter from my parts V sitting in my garage.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eagle-co94
Damien, if you can tell me exactly what is missing on your car I can pull and measure it as I have a complete T56 & shifter from my parts V sitting in my garage.

Okay, confirmed it is the bolt that connects the shifter to the linkage, everything else appears to be operable. I will need the dimensions for that bolt and I should be good to go.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

5/16" is the diameter of the bolt. The length of the bolt is about 2-1/2" to 3". A lock nut with a Nylon insert will allow you to tighten the bolt to the desired tension (snug) without putting the shifter linkage in a bind making the shifter hard to move (too tight).

Easy fixes are so cool.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Okay, so it's the bolt that connects the shifter "handle" to the horizontal rod?

It's about 2 1/8" long, allen head and I used a 13mm wrench on the nut. It was threaded the entire length and the diameter of the threads was about .3" Not sure what metric size that might be but it should help. There was no sleeve, washer or any other hardware on it. At 77k miles it was still pretty tight so yours must have chosen an early retirement.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

All of the help is greatly appreciated guys! I am headed to Home Depot now. I just had my LS7 Clutch and all hydraulic components replaced about a month back, they must not have tightened that bolt enough.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D's Hawk
All of the help is greatly appreciated guys! I am headed to Home Depot now. I just had my LS7 Clutch and all hydraulic components replaced about a month back, they must not have tightened that bolt enough.
Let us know if thats what it ended up being. Hopefully thats all it is.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Creative Steel

Easy fixes are so cool.
Indeed
Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Turned out to just be that bolt. I want to thank everyone again for the prompt feedback. Nothing better that spending less than $2 at Home Depot to get you ride back on the road. Shifter feels a lot more form than before, good times.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Great news! Glad to help.

Quick Reply: V1 stuck in 1st gear, possible linkage break???