Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hydraulic E-Brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Hydraulic E-Brake

So i am curious, where can i find a bracket like in the link so i may add an extra caliper to my rear wheels for sliding purposes?

Yes power overs are fun and easy, but sometimes i just need to kick the *** over with no power.

Am thinkin of autocross competitions and using the hydraulic e-brake to help kick the *** around the corners without having to power over.

Your thoughts are welcomed...I found Brembo makes a bracket but uses a mechanical caliper. It would be great to have the same option but with a hydraulic caliper so i can have my brakes on a separatecircuit from my e-brake

Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you want to make what we call in the woods a "tractor brake"?

This means putting a stick activated master cylinder in the car.....push stick forward, lockup right rear wheel, pull stick back, lock up left rear wheel?

CNC makes a nice kit for this as does Jomar but the Jomar unit isn't rebuildable if I remember correctly.

You'll have to make your own bracket but I've seen drifters use motorcycle calipers for this purpose on lighter cars, don't know how this would work on a 3800lb sedan.

Good Luck

BTW...how's the spindle swap going??
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1247
So you want to make what we call in the woods a "tractor brake"?
We call em cutting brakes on dune buggies and sand rails. Speaking of... Check out some dune buggy and sand rail supply places. Desert rats are cheap bastards, might find a deal somewhere. Or a workaround with a takeout from a junkyard vw or something.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
We call em cutting brakes on dune buggies and sand rails. Speaking of... Check out some dune buggy and sand rail supply places. Desert rats are cheap bastards, might find a deal somewhere. Or a workaround with a takeout from a junkyard vw or something.
ry, you seem to get around. Ever done anything like this on a street car...

We use the CNC setups in our VW powered woods buggies...

It's a heavy assembly...6 piston Willwoods, 38-11.50 TSL Bogger, steel wheels with twin bead locks...but the little CNC setup has enough *** for this...

wonder how it would work on a 3800lb sedan?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Spindle work is done, just need to finish my custom exhaust and then bleed the oil lines and i am off for alignment then trials
Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

I view the spindle swap as a big deal and some of the best work to come out of these forums as most of the rest is basically bolt-ons...

Is there a thread on this forum about your and fuzzy's work on this project and if you could, please continue to document your progress?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I view the spindle swap as a big deal and some of the best work to come out of these forums as most of the rest is basically bolt-ons...

Is there a thread on this forum about your and fuzzy's work on this project and if you could, please continue to document your progress?

Thanks!
I'm heading to the machine shop today to fabricate my final design set for the STS spindle project. The objective is to avoid having to use rough-cut steel plate like Naf did, which will make setting an alignment more difficult. And not everybody has the tools or the inclination to cut/grind eight slotted tabs to taste with their lower control arms laying on the ground.

Afterward I'll put up a full write-up including the required welded tab design (which you can take to a machine shop yourself or pay me to make/send you for welding), fasteners, and tearout calc on VSeriesForums.

Presently, the forum is only about 25% of where I want it to be and the website hasn't been published yet. I'm still shopping around for web designer for the "my current car mods" profile feature and a graphics artist for the logo and incidental images (e.g. "Forum Read" icons). I've also got a couple of support tickets out for some of my CSS breadcrumbs scripting issues. And then I need to go on a rampage to reduce unnecessary whitespace.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-17-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think what your looking for is a staging brake not a cutting brake. Used for drifting and drag racing. They are super easy to in stall
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I'm heading to the machine shop today to fabricate my final design set for the STS spindle project. The objective is to avoid having to use rough-cut steel plate like Naf did, which will make setting an alignment more difficult. And not everybody has the tools or the inclination to cut/grind eight slotted tabs to taste with their lower control arms laying on the ground.

Afterward I'll put up a full write-up including the required welded tab design (which you can take to a machine shop yourself or pay me to make/send you for welding), fasteners, and tearout calc on VSeriesForums.

Presently, the forum is only about 25% of where I want it to be and the website hasn't been published yet. I'm still shopping around for web designer for the "my current car mods" profile feature and a graphics artist for the logo and incidental images (e.g. "Forum Read" icons). I've also got a couple of support tickets out for some of my CSS breadcrumbs scripting issues. And then I need to go on a rampage to reduce unnecessary whitespace.
Thanks for the update.

This ranks right up there with the 8.8/9" swap and the upcoming, keeping my fingers crossed tick clutch master cylinder adapter.

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
I think what your looking for is a staging brake not a cutting brake. Used for drifting and drag racing. They are super easy to in stall
Ah yes and i can turn them on and off where i can slide the *** over and keep the front brakes free...

Silly question, which are a good dependable brand
Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c

I would still insist on a slightly larger slot for more than 2* front camber...

Keep us posted and my i suggest a blog for your mods... Its a bit more personal and u get to post all your directions in a more free environment...
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ry, you seem to get around. Ever done anything like this on a street car...

We use the CNC setups in our VW powered woods buggies...

It's a heavy assembly...6 piston Willwoods, 38-11.50 TSL Bogger, steel wheels with twin bead locks...but the little CNC setup has enough *** for this...

wonder how it would work on a 3800lb sedan?
Thanks, I think. Me and my friends have been riding dirt bikes forever, then it got to trucks, now I'm into street cars. My last one was a Cobalt SS with all the bolt ons, running an E85/91 mix it had over 400ft/lbs at the wheels. I haven't had enough time or money for the Cadillac yet. Me and the wife just had our first kid and got married in the last 2 years. So money has been tight. I honestly doubt it would work very well in something so heavy. But who knows, you don't need much really.

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
I'm not familiar with drifting... Is that like a line lock or whatever? So only the front brakes or the back brakes work?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
I would still insist on a slightly larger slot for more than 2* front camber...

Keep us posted and my i suggest a blog for your mods... Its a bit more personal and u get to post all your directions in a more free environment...
Not interested in a blog--I own a website and an Invision Power Board forum (in development). Free and open conversation between peers is probably the greatest asset we have. And my slots are 40mm. Yours were 30mm. Did you ever get an alignment after you welded those plates on? If so, what were you able to achieve?

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-17-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

I dont know as of yet, still need to finish my exhaust and bleed the oil lines then shes off for full alignment... I will see what my max neg cambers are as well as steerin issues. The sts has a shorter end link than the cts. May work in my favor for quicker turns or may cause more headaches than its worth

Quick Reply: Hydraulic E-Brake