Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Motor mount bolts seized

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount bolts seized

In the process of swapping out my motor mounts in my 04 for revshifts. I've gotten stuck on the drivers side, the bottom stud bolts on the block will not budge. Tried air impact/electric as well as heat/pb blaster. Am I missing something here? These are normal thread and must be able to be removed correct? Anyone else encounter this before?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't done this personally but there are lots of reports of that particular bolt being a pita....i've had fair luck in the past with this kind of stuff by letting the motor run long enough to get to full operating temperature then giving it a shot...

keep us posted.

PS....high quality, snug fitting snap-on/mac sockets can make all the difference you need on an impact. same goes for any extensions you're using. cheap tools don't cut it when the chips are down.

good luck.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

I hear you on the tools. Im borrowing some of these, I really only own the compressor. I've seen this electric impact remove a seriously frozen hub on my buddies 4x4 before. Not sure I can start the car at this point i've got it pretty high up in the air but that is also a good idea. Gonna soak it some more and see if that helps.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

I've used a new dewalt electric to break loose honda crank pulley bolts and they're 140lbs...i was impressed.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure where the bolt is exactly but can you fit a long breaker bar in the area?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Are you using extensions along with the impacts? If so, use the shortest extension possible, if at all. Extensions and impacts don't work well together.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That same bolt almost made me give up!! I was all alone and had to figure out something, impacts, breakers, nothing worked!!!

I ended up busting it loose with a bunch of extensions to bring the 1/2" breaker bar outside of the car (or slightly under it) then a floor jack with a piece of wood and piece of rubber cut to hold the rachet at the perfect angle as to apply pressure to the head of the bolt.

Then I through on a 3 foot cheater bar over the 1/2" breaker bar and gave it one 225lb body blow...It made just a noise I thought for sure I snapped it off or an extension...but no it just busted loose

F dat bolt!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Becker
That same bolt almost made me give up!! I was all alone and had to figure out something, impacts, breakers, nothing worked!!!

I ended up busting it loose with a bunch of extensions to bring the 1/2" breaker bar outside of the car (or slightly under it) then a floor jack with a piece of wood and piece of rubber cut to hold the rachet at the perfect angle as to apply pressure to the head of the bolt.

Then I through on a 3 foot cheater bar over the 1/2" breaker bar and gave it one 225lb body blow...It made just a noise I thought for sure I snapped it off or an extension...but no it just busted loose

F dat bolt!
that's gettin it done!
Old 05-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I was using prob 1.5ft extension, only way to get it out to the wheel well where I could get the impact on it. Had my buddy come over, he's a pretty big fella and we got it with a long cheater bar. Sure is hard to line everything up when your putting it back together. 1 of the bolts is kinda giving me problems going back in. Putting in my longtubes as well so it has taken a bit longer than usual I would suspect.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

good luck!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just happened to me last weekend when I was changing out my motor mounts. I got to the point that it was starting to strip too. My buddy and I hammered on a "bolt out" and put about a 2.5 ft extension off the breaker bar. It finally made the snapping noise, and came out easy after that. In the process we bent one of my cheap extension.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might try to spray some PB Blaster on the threads and let it soak in there next time.

Not driving the V in rain/snow FTW.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ive had really good luck with stuck bolts by giving them a solid crack tightening them up just a pinch and then working them loose and out. try it.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cts-v 07ct
This just happened to me last weekend when I was changing out my motor mounts. I got to the point that it was starting to strip too. My buddy and I hammered on a "bolt out" and put about a 2.5 ft extension off the breaker bar. It finally made the snapping noise, and came out easy after that. In the process we bent one of my cheap extension.
This is exactly how I got the nuts off the factory catalytic converters fwiw.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Got everything back together today. I can definitely tell a difference with the new mounts in although the car does still shake when shutting down. Supposedly the PO put an ls7 clutch in right before I bought it about ~10k miles ago so I am sort of surprised. I've heard of leaky injectors causing issues like this as well so that's something I will check into, the car does have 160k on it. After driving it around the neighborhood a few times it does seem to be getting better, Placebo affect maybe.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mounts made a big difference in my car. It is much smoother, both mounts were shoot. I also have a ls7 clutch no more shake when shutting down.

Quick Reply: Motor mount bolts seized