Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

335's on a v1 -pics included

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 335's on a v1 -pics included

While searching for mallett minitub info, i stumbled across this....
Attached Thumbnails 335's on a v1 -pics included-335s.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

I also found this....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ming-soon.html

wonder if these are one and the same car?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Photoshop. Look at the tire tread. You can see it's a v-style tread that had some added to the inside.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

good eye!

wonder if anyone has line on the v1 that got the tubs?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if that picture is real, it would have had to have the cradle mounts relocated.. idk how you could possibly do that setup...
Old 05-05-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know...that's what i'm trying to figure out!

The linked thread never really says how big a tire he was finally able to put on the car after they did the surgery and the malletts with the minitubs are shown as coming with a 12 inch wheel so....
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

NAF is on here.....305s is what he is running unless he has hanged...
Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Naf also said he ended up going out instead of in... 335's are bigger than 305.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im more interested in the purty mufflers
Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I am currently running 305/30R19, but will upgrade to 335/25R20 once i get some positive cash flow.

My idea to to use the Zr1 Comp grey wheels that come in 20x12 for the rear, made in Italy...I will push the wheel in as far as possible giving me 1/4" clearance then pull the rear fender out around the rest of the wheel.

I was going to go with 19x12 but they were reproductions and more expensive than goin with OEM. Also the color wasnt the same...

Man i need to sell my parts...
Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sure looks photoshopped.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 93hatch
Im more interested in the purty mufflers
Look like Magnaflows to me. Mine aren't all clean and polished up all purty like that, but I think that's what those are in the pic.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

With simply trailing arms, hammering the lower control arm, and widening the wheels you can make a 295 fit wayyyyyyyy easier than that 305. To over power a good set of drag radials @ 295 (go full drag slick) you will need heaps of power and torque. I guess what is the end goal here? Road racing? Again, some nice R-comp 295's will be plenty! I dunno, maybe its just me, but seems like there is too much focus on going wider in tires, then going with a better tire. To which I'm sure tires are cheaper!

Only thing expensive about my plan is having the stock tires widened to (hopefully) 10" @ approx 500$
Old 05-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I spun 305 RS-3 tires all day long,

Before i swapped diff ratios i could spin r888 305 on the track very easily, i even spun out in a corner from too much oversteer.

I am goin for the wider tires to help tame my beast. Now remember steel weighs more than rubber

I have seen cars with 18s beat exact same cars with 19" wheels. and even ppl with narrow tires out turn ppl with wider tires.

For our cars i found 275 upfront is plenty for steering and 305 could be good for stock body cars. but the second you start to lighten your car you will need to go wider tires...
Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of strait line traction gained from drag radials actually comes from the height of the sidewalls of the tire... Extra width is awesome and looks great, but not entirely necessary when talking about strait line traction. The 265/45/18 mickey thompson drag radials hook up far better on the street than I could have ever imagined possible with that small of a tire
Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Back in my honda racing days we would use a 13" front wheel and 22" tall slicks. Most guys used the 22x8 even though a 22x9 was available and fit just fine. What would happen is there was no measurable advantage in traction and 60' times with the 9" wide, but on the big end of the track that width was actually slowing the trap speeds of the cars down.

Obviously this is a totally different vehicle and RWD, but the principles should carry over.

Now if we're talking about running a wider wheel/tire for handling advantages, obviously width can be very beneficial... My knowledge there is limited so I'll
Leave that alone.

All that said, I still wish I could fit a 305+ on my car.... It looks awesome
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
With simply trailing arms, hammering the lower control arm, and widening the wheels you can make a 295 fit wayyyyyyyy easier than that 305. To over power a good set of drag radials @ 295 (go full drag slick) you will need heaps of power and torque. I guess what is the end goal here? Road racing? Again, some nice R-comp 295's will be plenty! I dunno, maybe its just me, but seems like there is too much focus on going wider in tires, then going with a better tire. To which I'm sure tires are cheaper!

Only thing expensive about my plan is having the stock tires widened to (hopefully) 10" @ approx 500$
The goal here is to come up with the best compromise of investment versus tire size.

I too plan on widening stock wheels but i keep hearing 9.75 or maybe 10 or? I want to widen them once and get the most bang for the buck because big tires are cool, always have been.

Drag radials aren't in my future so i guess you could say handling would be my biggest payoff and with a 3800lb sedan that could easily get to 500rwhp, is there any tire to big for this combo?

So how easy was it for Mallett and others to accommodate steam roller tires with mini-tubs...is it a weekend mod or a complete reconstruction. I'm good with the first but not going with the second.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1247
So how easy was it for Mallett and others to accommodate steam roller tires with mini-tubs...is it a weekend mod or a complete reconstruction. I'm good with the first but not going with the second.
Just speculating based off of the $4500 or so price tag that the mini-tubs had on the Mallett price list I saw, combined with the fact that there doesn't seem to be many in existence that it's a little more involved than a weekend project…. I really wish there was more info on what they did.

Has anyone contacted them???
Old 05-06-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
but the second you start to lighten your car you will need to go wider tires...
Really? I mean I have followed you for a while now so I know you know plenty about this, and def more than me.....but why would lightening a car require wider tires? Wouldn't lightening it make it less for the tire to hold there for providing more traction? Or is the weight providing extra traction?

Naf what did you do with the top shock mount? Just moved it in some? Any more pictures of it all done up with everything except the wheel on?

Edit: thought that cadillac forum thread was your car. Have you mini tubbed your car?

Originally Posted by ls1247
is it a weekend mod or a complete reconstruction. I'm good with the first but not going with the second.
Well that's an easy one. Also, so you know and IMO it would be easier to do a wide body and go outward rather then trying to go inward. Just my opinion.

here ya go http://image.gmhightechperformance.c...lac_cts%2B.jpg

Originally Posted by gtistile

That is a good question! They do still exists yes? Hopefully they could help this!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gtistile
Just speculating based off of the $4500 or so price tag that the mini-tubs had on the Mallett price list I saw, combined with the fact that there doesn't seem to be many in existence that it's a little more involved than a weekend project…. I really wish there was more info on what they did.

The price means nothing regarding how much effort it takes because its worth what people are willing to pay...for all we know he welded in one little patch panel or something and felt it was worth $4500 because he was smart enough to think it through.

I visited his shop as advertised on his website yesterday and it looked practically abandoned. No late model anything, no people just a sign on the door, a couple of mail order choppers and a 40 Ford project car.

I called him and I wouldn't say he was rude but he didn't give a damn that I was calling. I asked about having some front spindles reworked and possibly some mini-tubs and he said he didn't work on or sell parts for cars that didn't carry his serial numbers....maybe if I used the serial number and the pictures for the one for sale over on Owners forum, he would make me some front spindles...

I contacted the seller of the one for sale over on the cadillac forum and offered to pay him for his trouble if he would take a few minutes and have some pictures taken on the entire rear of the car. He said he would give it a shot as I wasn't the only one asking.

As far as going out instead of in, I find finish body work a PITA and I'm not a fan of the fender flares really. I would much rather heat, beat, weld and undercoat if it's just basic fenderwell work. Relocating frame mounting points, not on this car....

Last edited by ls1247; 05-06-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 335's on a v1 -pics included