Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

remote start

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start

I searched and no luck for the Vs
BUT if you happen to know of a thread a link would highly appreciated.

So I'd like to get remote start on my 05 V

But I'd like to have it added to my stock fobs, what does it take to do this? if it's even possible.

or do I have to use an aftermarket one? if so what is the best option for us Vs, I'm not interested in an alarm just remote and key less entry?

and what would be happening to my Fob1 settings with the car sync?

any info is appreciated thanks.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remote start on a manual car? Not sure if you're trolling or serious. You'd have to bypass the clutch switch, then you couldn't leave it in gear, which I do more than use the parking brake (personal preference)... I could totally see leaving it in gear and hitting the remote start in the morning before work.... Car jumps through the wall like a pitcher of kool-aid and is like "oooooooohhhh yyyyeeeaaaaaa"
Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Remote start on a manual car? Not sure if you're trolling or serious. You'd have to bypass the clutch switch, then you couldn't leave it in gear, which I do more than use the parking brake (personal preference)... I could totally see leaving it in gear and hitting the remote start in the morning before work.... Car jumps through the wall like a pitcher of kool-aid and is like "oooooooohhhh yyyyeeeaaaaaa"
Hahahah.
I remember a thread where a guy with remote start was complaining that he took his car for an oil change and the service person left it in gear when he pulled it around front and the owner went to start it before he got in to leave and it jumped through their glass storefront.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Hahahah.
I remember a thread where a guy with remote start was complaining that he took his car for an oil change and the service person left it in gear when he pulled it around front and the owner went to start it before he got in to leave and it jumped through their glass storefront.
Going to assume you both don't know this exists? It has safety features to safe guard against idiocy as most things do. It will not start with the car in gear, and it will not start with out the parking brake applied. I had automatic start on a standard cavalier a while back. Works great in the north during the winter, but in my opinion it is useless on every other occasion.

Edit: on that system I had to add a neutral safety switch to the base of the shifter so the system knew it was not in gear.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know it exists. But I wouldn't throw an aftermarket system like that in there. Honestly is it that big if a deal to just go start the car up and let it idle while you go back inside and grab a cup o Joe??? I live in southern California. It never gets cold or hot enough to really be like "oh I gotta warm this bitch up". But when I go to central Oregon in the winter to ski or for the holidays, you bet I run out and crank on the truck to warm up the inside and unplug the block heater. The block heater doesn't keep the cabin warm.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

I actually thought about putting one on as well, because I like to let my car warm up for at least 5-10 minutes before I drive it.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Launching!

thanks guys.

NIK got it.

There are Manual vehicle remote start systems available.
In fact, it is against the law to install an automatic transmission remote start system in a manual for the very reason of risking injury or death not only yourself but anyone unlucky out there.

I know because I bought an auto remote start for my manual civic and no one would install it. i did i myself.

I NEVER leave my car in gear, BUT I have hopped in after a shop worked on it only to have it jump because they leave it in first. i hate that.

I'm just wondering what routes people have take as far as gettin these on the Vs.

I dont mind hoping out and starting my car if I part 3 feet from my door. but there are time when It's cold as F... and I parked Half a block away OR where i work I park distant from my office as well.

mild83 that's what I'm going for. I hope someone has an intergrated to OEM fob remote start. that would be nice. I hate aftermarke fobs on cars that have OEM fobs tied into setting and ish.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd imagine you would have to find out if our V1's could learn, or be programmed just to work with a newer vehicles fob that has remote start. That is where I would start. Could be as simple and as cheap to buy a new fob that has remote start already on it and try to program it to the V. If you can get the lock/unlock to work the next hurdle would be to find an auto start that can be programmed to factory key fobs (should exist). Buy that kit for a manual and voila!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Launching!

yeah. looks like I'll have to do some digging. It would be some time from now. I just like to collect info before even considering something. I'll be back with a result if I jump at something. but those are good ideas as far OEM fob that came with Remote start.

thanks guys.

Last edited by dead civic; 06-03-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dead civic
I NEVER leave my car in gear, BUT I have hopped in after a shop worked on it only to have it jump because they leave it in first. i hate that.
Lol I got in the habit of leaving it in gear with my last car. There was a known issue if the parking brake sticking and causing your rear rotors to disintegrate... Good ole Chevy. Haahah. Leaving it in gear isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Lol I got in the habit of leaving it in gear with my last car. There was a known issue if the parking brake sticking and causing your rear rotors to disintegrate... Good ole Chevy. Haahah. Leaving it in gear isn't going to hurt anything.
Ah. I just don't like the feel of my tyranny feeling jammed with weight. I know its a tranny, but... say you leave it in 1st wont it roll with enough of a push?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Check out the avital on amazon. I installed one on my xj Cherokee and it worked like a charm. Many options and was around 60 bucks. Had all the features for manual cars that included clutch lockouts.

http://www.amazon.com/Avital-4103LX-Remote-System-4-Button/dp/B002P4P1G2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401840189&sr=8-1&keywords=avital
Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Also if you Google the dealer installed manual you can see how hard the install will be. Hth
Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dead civic

Ah. I just don't like the feel of my tyranny feeling jammed with weight. I know its a tranny, but... say you leave it in 1st wont it roll with enough of a push?
I hear ya... But you do realize the kind of stress jamming through gears and wot pulls has on it right?

As far as rolling... I've only parked on a few hills where I actually had to use both for peace of mind. Think about it like this, your car has to overcome the compression and mechanical friction if valvetrain, pistons, all the accessories, pumps, all that ****... In order to roll. It takes a lot. Its merely personal preference. But I wouldn't trust either one alone in a steep enough hill.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

I have a remote start in my V, Prestige I believe, and I love it. I'm using the aftermarket FOB's, couldn't wait to moth ball the stock ones soon enough. The range was 10' on a good day. Now I'm good for 1/4 mile. Three buttons: lock, unlock, and the remote start button that requires a double tap to start or a 5 sec hold to pop the trunk. I don't leave my car in gear and the parking brake works just fine. Honestly, not sure if our car has a neutral position switch, nor have I ever tried to start the car in gear. I'm the only one who drive's the car, so my driver 1 presets are always loaded on key in I believe.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I have a remote start in my V, Prestige I believe, and I love it. I'm using the aftermarket FOB's, couldn't wait to moth ball the stock ones soon enough. The range was 10' on a good day. Now I'm good for 1/4 mile. Three buttons: lock, unlock, and the remote start button that requires a double tap to start or a 5 sec hold to pop the trunk. I don't leave my car in gear and the parking brake works just fine. Honestly, not sure if our car has a neutral position switch, nor have I ever tried to start the car in gear. I'm the only one who drive's the car, so my driver 1 presets are always loaded on key in I believe.
did you install this yourself?
Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1247
did you install this yourself?
no sir, I paid a professional to do it correctly
Old 06-03-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
no sir, I paid a professional to do it correctly
i bet this install could get messy...do the lights still come on when you unlock the car?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1247
i bet this install could get messy...do the lights still come on when you unlock the car?
Yep, which ones depends on ambient light conditions, horn chirps too. I added the install to an overall larger audio installing going on at the same shop. It was a $275 package deal. When I picked the car up, they said it was a ton of work and that I got a steal of a deal.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Launching!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/compa...id%5B%5D=75606

looking at these. I like the clifford one a whole lot, nice and simple looking fob.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...per-4105X.html

Quick Reply: remote start