Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Lingenfelter Engine Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lingenfelter Engine Reliability?

I'm currently in the market for a 2004-2007 CTS-V. Since I'm planning on daily driving it, one of my main goals is maintaining reliability. I was planning on purchasing a fairly stock CTS-V, installing a maggie supercharger and supporting mods for around 450-500rwhp, and calling it a day.

I've come across what so far seems to be a clean, low mileage, one-owner car with a Lingenfelter-built engine. Here's what I've been told about it so far.

New custom built engine from Lingenfelter 550 package;
7.0L aluminum block
JE 2618 alloy forged pistons
Callies 4340 forged steel crankshaft - 4.00" stroke
Oliver I beam connecting rods
Computer balanced rotating ***.
Lingenfelter CNC port & polished Ls6 heads
SS intake & exhaust valves
Titanium retainers, three angle valve job
Lingenfelter Competition Cam
High volume oil pump & Oil cooler
Borla Exhaust & Kooks Long tube headers
Lingenfelter Air intake system w/ ported Throttle body 90mm
ATI under drive pulley
Motor has 10K Miles, this car IS Garage kept nonsmoker, and well maintained. I am sure there is more, just the basics of it all here. Car dynoed 550/560tq
A couple red flags, I can't find anything about the LPE 550 package, and I know they rate their packages at BHP (so it wouldn't dyno at 550). This info was second hand though, waiting on clarification from the owner. I think it might actually be the 530 package found here: https://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-...530-hp-package

Side question, why would someone have their engine built like this as opposed to going with a TVS1900 or some other FI, for more power at a cheaper cost? Preference?

The price of this car is around $4,000 more than what clean CTS-V's go for, so it seems like a great deal. My concern is whether or not reliability will be anything close to a somewhat modified GM LS6/LS2.

Anyone have any input?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Forced induction is pretty limited on V1. Tvs units werent around. Those units cant really push enough air for a 7L. Those units arent going to make great power. I think it would be an awesome car if you could go to ls3 heads and toss in a 2300...
Old 07-20-2014, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lingenfelter has an engine-build facility close to me, and they have a meet-and-greet every Saturday morning that is well attended. Went there in May and saw their engine build room. They appear to know what they're doing, and if your motor was well balanced and they used proven components, I'd think that reliability as a daily driver would be no problem. Question is, with that kind of power, how is the diff protected?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lingenfelter is nothing more than a name, one which they charge an ungodly amount to the uneducated. Their products are no better than anyone else, they just charge a 200%+ premium.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4doortypels
Forced induction is pretty limited on V1. Tvs units werent around. Those units cant really push enough air for a 7L. Those units arent going to make great power. I think it would be an awesome car if you could go to ls3 heads and toss in a 2300...
While I'd like to think about FI down the line for the option of making big power, right now my primary focus is on reliability and driveability.

Originally Posted by rand49er
Lingenfelter has an engine-build facility close to me, and they have a meet-and-greet every Saturday morning that is well attended. Went there in May and saw their engine build room. They appear to know what they're doing, and if your motor was well balanced and they used proven components, I'd think that reliability as a daily driver would be no problem. Question is, with that kind of power, how is the diff protected?
That's good to hear. Have you heard anyone having issues with the engines they've built? The diff is a concern of mine, and I'll likely have to address it myself.

Originally Posted by DMM
Lingenfelter is nothing more than a name, one which they charge an ungodly amount to the uneducated. Their products are no better than anyone else, they just charge a 200%+ premium.
Well aware of this. I was hoping since they have such a high profile people would have more feedback, for better or worse.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You said the car wouldn't dyno at 550 but what you just quoted says the car dyno'd at 550, as it should have. 550 crank would be pitiful for a big cube motor with good heads. That's a fast *** gen1 and I would be jealous.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

The reason lingenfelter can charge so much is that for their motors is because their motors don't go kaboom as often as other companies. Now that being said it doesn't mean other companies aren't as good or better at building motors.
Also that 550 should be whp. A cammed ls2 Will make about 500 crank horsepower
Old 07-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bmylez
You said the car wouldn't dyno at 550 but what you just quoted says the car dyno'd at 550, as it should have. 550 crank would be pitiful for a big cube motor with good heads. That's a fast *** gen1 and I would be jealous.
Originally Posted by serik21
The reason lingenfelter can charge so much is that for their motors is because their motors don't go kaboom as often as other companies. Now that being said it doesn't mean other companies aren't as good or better at building motors.
Also that 550 should be whp. A cammed ls2 Will make about 500 crank horsepower
That seemed quite low to me as well, and I couldn't understand why anyone would spend that kind of money when a maggie would get you close for much less. The reason I thought this is because on that link I posted above to the Lingenfelter site, it lists it at 530 bhp. I sure hope that was just a conservative estimate.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

A built 7.0 with stock LS6 heads and a medium cam would be over 550bhp. It definitely put down over 500 at the tires.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

The reason lingenfelter can charge so much is that for their motors is because their motors don't go kaboom as often as other companies.
Bullshit. When I was a dealer Corvette tech Lingenfelter **** caused more problems than anything else I've ever dealt with. The biggest problem was they didn't make anything, they just sold other peoples **** at an exorbitant price...and left every customer hanging when something went wrong. I know many Vette owners who cut their losses, changed brands and bought Vipers all b/c of the way Lingenfelter fucked them over and never stood behind anything.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

I don't doubt that. But you have to look across the board of parts/prouduct failure vs parts sold.
Not saying that they are the best company. And yes they are overpriced but there are far worse companies out there.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

I don't doubt that. But you have to look across the board of parts/prouduct failure vs parts sold.
Not saying that they are the best company. And yes they are overpriced but there are far worse companies out there.
Still disagree. I think this is the problem, nobody knows what Ligenfelters failure rate is. I was a line tech at a dealer at 17 and apprenticed under the Corvette tech at Lustine Chevrolet. In my experience, Lingenfelter products were always ill advised. And their early LT1 383 stroker tunes blew up more engines than I can remember due to post ignition. They never helped ANY customer with any of those either, they pushed it off on a shitty little company (who convieniently shut it's doors) who they said wrote the tune and washed their hands of the whole problem.

This is the problem, people think they are no worse than the rest. That is truly not the case at all. I'd trust autozone **** over Lingenfelter.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DMM
Still disagree. I think this is the problem, nobody knows what Ligenfelters failure rate is. I was a line tech at a dealer at 17 and apprenticed under the Corvette tech at Lustine Chevrolet. In my experience, Lingenfelter products were always ill advised. And their early LT1 383 stroker tunes blew up more engines than I can remember due to post ignition. They never helped ANY customer with any of those either, they pushed it off on a shitty little company (who convieniently shut it's doors) who they said wrote the tune and washed their hands of the whole problem.

This is the problem, people think they are no worse than the rest. That is truly not the case at all. I'd trust autozone **** over Lingenfelter.
This is the sort of feedback I was looking for. If I'm relying on this car to be my daily driver, it sounds like I'd be better off finding a stock-ish example.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Lingenfelter is just a name. Nothing more.

Sounds like there was some quality components put in the engine. Bad part is that it is only as good an engine as the assembly process it was put thru.

Something to be said about a good ol maggie'd ls6 for everyday reliability.

Factor on spending some serious coin for the rearend as well since all the power means nothing if you cant put it to the ground.

Once you start adding up all the items it becomes real expensive real quick thats for sure!

Last edited by izcain; 07-21-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:52 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I deal with LPE all the time, and they are meticulous about their engine builds. I have had three engines built by them and they run great.

I have a 6.8ltr that makes 625hp and 555lbft at the fw, and a 6.6 that makes 580/525 at the fw. and there was my 6.0 that made 480/480 at the flywheel. All at the highest quality, dynoed by them and even came with warranty though i really didnt need it...

Talk with any of the guys there, and they will set you up with a great deal...
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Sorry, I posted this in your other thread. I was not aware that you had 2.

"You have to keep in mind that when these packages were designed 10 years ago there was no such thing as an LS3 cylinder head and the LS7's were just starting production.

The other thing that you have to keep in mind is the biggest supercharger that Magnuson had at that time was a small MP112 that made around 500hp.

As far as reliability goes, the list of internals are top notch so as long as it was taken care of there shouldn't be an issue.

OP if you have the VIN of the vehicle pm it to me and I would be glad to look up the build for you."

Thanks,
Ryan

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter Engine Reliability?