Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Engine Hoist for motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Engine Hoist for motor mounts?

I'm doing motor mounts this weekend. Everywhere says to jack the engine up from the bottom. If you have a hoist, does it help? Is there an easy place to grab the engine and lift from above or is the jack under the oilpan just as good or better? To me, if you're under the car, the more space the better.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never hoisted this motor but honestly a jack and some wood is all you need from under, you dont have to lift it very far, I jacked it up until I started getting clearance issues. Also I had the jack from the front so I had plenty of room still under there.

Make sure to have breaker bar, loctite, beer, tunes and some clothes that could get some motor mount fluid on.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know it's not necessary, I just happen to be doing it this Sunday in a friends garage who has a cherry picker so I figured I'd see if anyone's used one. From the rust-colored stain on my oilpan id guess the left one is dry but thanks for the clothes suggestion. I'll be sure to bring a clean set for the drive home.

I don't drink beer but I'll def bring some for my buddy.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a hoist to do mine and think it was easier than dodging the floor jack all way through this job. I was able to set the hoist legs up short and the hoist arm up long because all I was doing is holding the motor up. This gave me plenty of room to move around under the car.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1247
I used a hoist to do mine and think it was easier than dodging the floor jack all way through this job. I was able to set the hoist legs up short and the hoist arm up long because all I was doing is holding the motor up. This gave me plenty of room to move around under the car.
Where did you attach to the motor up top?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by isis
Where did you attach to the motor up top?
As all I was doing was holding the motor up, I used a smallish chain and went off the cylinder head on the passenger side and the power steering pump mount bolt on the drivers side.

My power steering hose was starting to weep a little so I replaced it with the drivers side mount out of the car.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why wouldn't the legs of the cherry picker be in the way even more than a bottle jack and piece of wood?

Ideally you would get an engine cross bar with turnbuckles...it straddles the engine bay and has chains that hang down to hook to your engine.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by somethingclever
Why wouldn't the legs of the cherry picker be in the way even more than a bottle jack and piece of wood?

Ideally you would get an engine cross bar with turnbuckles...it straddles the engine bay and has chains that hang down to hook to your engine.
Set the legs up short, the boom up long. The mounts come out on the transmission end of the engine and the hoist is out in front of the car....worked well. Don't see me going out and renting a hoist to do this job but I had one just sitting there so it made sense.

Ideally sounds expensive, no need to over think this, you aren't pulling the motor out just holding it up.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best place to lift a motor is taking off the intake manifold and attaching the chains to the engine block under it. That's the safest place IMHO.

But I didn't have a problem with a jack at all. It wasn't in the way or anything.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:33 AM
Launching!

No problem supporting engine by the oil pan?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not a problem at at all as long as you spread the load with a piece of wood. It's how 95% of people do their motor mounts, I'm sure.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vcaddy71
No problem supporting engine by the oil pan?
I wouldn't hesitate to do it this way...I just happened to have a hoist sitting there
Old 10-04-2014, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bmylez
Not a problem at at all as long as you spread the load with a piece of wood. It's how 95% of people do their motor mounts, I'm sure.
Originally Posted by ls1247
I wouldn't hesitate to do it this way...I just happened to have a hoist sitting there
Great to know thanks!
Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did these yesterday. Just used a block of wood and a jack. Getting the bolts back in the engine block was a little awkward especially the front ones but otherwise went pretty smooth.

Quick Reply: Engine Hoist for motor mounts?