Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch line "check valve"

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Clutch line "check valve"

Trying to figure out why we have a "check valve" in our clutch line and found this....

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te...heck_valve.htm
Old 12-20-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing about them is, they a susceptible to foreign matter. The design is sound, but because some do not see proper maintenance, issues can arise.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

I could be wrong or maybe I just never saw them, but I've had a couple of hydro clutch cars and I don't recall ever seeing a check valve in any of those...

Of course, I never had them apart either...
Old 12-20-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1247
I could be wrong or maybe I just never saw them, but I've had a couple of hydro clutch cars and I don't recall ever seeing a check valve in any of those...

Of course, I never had them apart either...
Some may or may not. But the idea is to protect the integrity of the line, to keep air out when its disconnected to change the slave. The hydros in other applications use check valves or similar items to stop air and debris from entering the line when they get disconnected.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

If it doesn't have anything to do with the function of the clutch itself, it would make it fairly unnecessary in my book. Sounds like you could do the same thing by just making sure the line stayed up right and you didn't pour the fluid out of it when you opened the line up.

Getting that valve to seat was the worst part of installing the PMC for me.

Wonder if the F-bodies and vettes have them?

edit - wonder if gm used it to make the car easier to assemble?

Last edited by ls1247; 12-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

The valve is there on the master cylinder side to prevent fluid from escaping the master and it running dry, thereby necessitating a full bleed and flush of the system.

You're over thinking this. They did it to preserve the hydraulic system. To keep air out, contaminants out, and to keep the fluid in.

The inadequate master cylinder was more than enough to slow down the clutch activation to limit the shock on the drivetrain.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

so basically what you just said is that it is totally useless when installing the PMC because its already dry.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was a delay valve to slightly low up the action of the clutch to limit shock loads, prevent drivetrain damage, and save on warranty claims.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
I thought it was a delay valve to slightly low up the action of the clutch to limit shock loads, prevent drivetrain damage, and save on warranty claims.
Thats what the link to the BMW valve scenario in the first post is saying.

I can see what motox is saying about it keeping the fluid from dumping out when you disconnect the line to install a new clutch but, how do you keep the brake fluid from doing the same thing when you replace a brake caliper?

You leave the master cylinder lid on. If no air can enter behind the fluid, it isn't coming out for the most part.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

so basically what you just said is that it is totally useless when installing the PMC because its already dry.
Yea sure... But when you get a new slave have fun with the clutch fluid flowing out of the master. The idea is that the master cylinder stays, while multiple slaves change.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what the link to the BMW valve scenario in the first post is saying.

I can see what motox is saying about it keeping the fluid from dumping out when you disconnect the line to install a new clutch but, how do you keep the brake fluid from doing the same thing when you replace a brake caliper?

You leave the master cylinder lid on. If no air can enter behind the fluid, it isn't coming out for the most part.
You don't replace calipers much in brake jobs. They are supposed to be fairly permanent items. So the system stays sealed.

Our master cylinders flow so poorly, that is where you need to look to place blame on a lazy system to reduce the drivetrain shock.

Brake fluid will still come out if you leave the lid on the master. When I dropped the cradle and rolled it out to do the bushings, the passenger brake line from the frame to the caliper has to come off. The line dripped until we plugged it. Calipers are made to stay on the line and the car for most of its life.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
You don't replace calipers much in brake jobs. They are supposed to be fairly permanent items. So the system stays sealed.

Our master cylinders flow so poorly, that is where you need to look to place blame on a lazy system to reduce the drivetrain shock
Cast iron calipers require a certain amount of maintenance and I've done my share but I've never had a manufacturer hook me up with check valves in the brake lines so the system doesn't drain. I'm thinking Gus_Mahn is more correct than we are on this one.

The PMC is plenty up to the task but we're still getting reports of notchy shifting and hard pedals so it isn't entirely the master cylinder. Its possible something else is at play here and everything else has been talked to death so why not this valve.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drum brakes actually do have a residual check valve. It's there to keep 1-2psi on the lip seals so they don't leak.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

There is no check-valve in the system and the heading is incorrect. Fluid has to flow both ways. A check valve allows flow in ONE direction. I believe what you are referring to is an orifice. Orifices are used regulate pressure - you create a high pressure zone a slightly lower pressure zone along with velocity.

The large plastic adapter when removed from the slave line will close by the internal spring preventing fluid loss and foreign contaminants from entering the hydraulic line. Very common with any hydraulic lines or when you disconnected any hydraulic hose, you would spill fluid everywhere.

The MC and slave are coupled....that is just the way it is, they are both wear items and can be replaced by uncoupling them. It's convenient for clutch swaps, transmission servicing etc and you don't have worry about flooding the floor with piles of hydraulic fluid getting all over the place and getting an airbound MC.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Drum brakes actually do have a residual check valve. It's there to keep 1-2psi on the lip seals so they don't leak.
Learn something everyday.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

It is however a check valve when uncoupled from the slave line.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Any input on this statement and did the orifice size you describe play a role in the sizing of the master cylinder?

Is it possible that this valve/orifice is also a wear item as it has moving parts?
Old 12-20-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Any input on this statement and did the orifice size you describe play a role in the sizing of the master cylinder?

Is it possible that this valve/orifice is also a wear item as it has moving parts?
Absolutely it did! The sizing of the MC was critical for the application of the V1. The Tilton is a slightly larger diameter with equal stroke compared to the factory. Any larger diameter piston for the MC and it will take 2 legs to mash the clutch pedal. It was sized to move more fluid volume and pressure and also to firm the clutch pedal.

The orifice is not the limiting factor with the hydraulics - it works well with the system. It has no moving parts. It has a spring and a stem.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by philistine
Absolutely it did! The sizing of the MC was critical for the application of the V1. The Tilton is a slightly larger diameter with equal stroke compared to the factory. Any larger diameter piston for the MC and it will take 2 legs to mash the clutch pedal. It was sized to move more fluid volume and pressure and also to firm the clutch pedal.

The orifice is not the limiting factor with the hydraulics - it works well with the system. It has no moving parts. It has a spring and a stem.
I know GM designed the clutch master and the orifice size as a matched set. I'll just have to assume that by changing one, we shouldn't have changed the other.

The orifice is designed to regulate or create a pressure but to what end? Does what Gus_Mahn say have any relevance here?

I've never seen anything with a spring that wasn't designed to move.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

It doesn't move continuously. It moves once to open, once to close. You way over thing stuff dude.

Quick Reply: Clutch line "check valve"