Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New to the GM world and considering a CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the GM world and considering a CTS-V

I just bought a new (to me) Subaru Legacy GT a few months ago and recently ran across a CTS-V. I've always wanted some American muscle but in a more refined and daily drive-able package. The CTS-V seems like the perfect specimen and call me crazy, but I'm seriously considering replacing the Subaru with one which would be the shortest I've ever owned a car.

I've never owned a GM and previously would not really have considered one except for a Vette. However, the 1st Gen (2004-2007) CTS-V's are creeping into my price range, although it would be one with higher miles at around ~100K.

Am I crazy to replace a solid Subaru with a 400 hp performance beast? I know the 2004 and 2005 had diff issues and all years have wheel hop and shifter slop issues but is overall longevity pretty good with these or will I see things falling apart with higher miles? How would it compare in fit/finish and reliability/maintenance to say a comparable year Subaru Legacy or WRX, Infiniti G35 or G37, fully loaded Honda Accord, or BMW 3/5 series?

It seems like most owners are happy with it from poking around different forums but I hear GM quality can be a bit hit or miss.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on what you want from the car.
Obviously, your losing a AWD and a turbo 4cyl that could offer good power and maybe some decent mpg's,...idk?
I came from a BMW E36 M3 sedan with shitloads of miles... I wanted LS power for years, needed four doors, had to be RWD with a stick shift. I wanted an LS in E39 BMW or a CTS-V. Nothing else would do....
The V1 has some weak spots which you mentioned, there are fixes though, great fixes, the rear end is expensive but there is a lot to make that work...
My gripes are like this:

The factory nav/radio sucks....its too old to be new, but too new to be old....you can scrap it, but you lose some functionality....some options and driver information/warnings. Some have chosen to ditch it for better stuff....I'm waiting for to see what android auto does/compatability.

******* six lug wheels,....ugh....Im not a wheel *****, but I hate having almost no options to replace my wheels (crazy offset, brake caliper clearance). Seriously, options are severely limited unless you are willing to spring for 3-piece wheels. Five lug conversions are popping up,.....I can't bring my self to do it yet, bought a factory 5th wheel to replace the non-existant spare (runflats).

Diff......how hard can I hoon it before it just dies....

Stuff I like:
The Engine.... I ******* love this engine. Its makes excellent power...and there are so many options to make more....
Shifting with a new shifter....stocker sucks, new one million times better....yaayyyy fun.
Handling...car corners well, handles good....will step out on demand!!! ,(immense torque, kinda skinny 245 tires)
The ride.. This car handles good, but holy **** it rides so nice....firm yet supple. Very comfortable.

All in all, they are awesome cars stock or slightly modified. If you want to go big time you might as well go V2....I don't have that kind of money,....maybe someday. Till then I'll drive this or build an LS e39......but nothing else would do it for me.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I concur with everything above. Seems like the majority of the higher mile V's dont have too many issues beyond what is already known. Gotta replace stock shifter asap, thats a must. Headers really wake up the stock engine and a tune helps out too! very comfortable car for daily driver also! gets decent mileage on the highway and not too shabby around town. Im getting the same mileage in my V as I did with my 03 cts with the 3.2L v-6... overall.. the stock rear diff is not made of butter, its not gonna instantly gernade on you as long as you treat it with respect and dont do tons of clutch drops at 3,000+ rpms.. just be real with it. of course things break and people have issues...but the majority of V's dont have a ton of problems. its a great car in my opinion. Yes the factory nav stereo suck, but easily add in AUX. Adding in the 10$ radioshack cable mod to my factory stereo has been the best mod! Get it cheap...low ball the **** out of the owner or find a different one and then youll have extra funds to upgrade the things that need upgraded immediately. good luck!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TakmaN
I just bought a new (to me) Subaru Legacy GT a few months ago and recently ran across a CTS-V. I've always wanted some American muscle but in a more refined and daily drive-able package. The CTS-V seems like the perfect specimen and call me crazy, but I'm seriously considering replacing the Subaru with one which would be the shortest I've ever owned a car.

I've never owned a GM and previously would not really have considered one except for a Vette. However, the 1st Gen (2004-2007) CTS-V's are creeping into my price range, although it would be one with higher miles at around ~100K.

Am I crazy to replace a solid Subaru with a 400 hp performance beast? I know the 2004 and 2005 had diff issues and all years have wheel hop and shifter slop issues but is overall longevity pretty good with these or will I see things falling apart with higher miles? How would it compare in fit/finish and reliability/maintenance to say a comparable year Subaru Legacy or WRX, Infiniti G35 or G37, fully loaded Honda Accord, or BMW 3/5 series?

It seems like most owners are happy with it from poking around different forums but I hear GM quality can be a bit hit or miss.

The look i get when i pass someone in a 4door sedan that looks basically the same as the normal CTS..priceless
Old 01-08-2015, 07:22 PM

Great insight thanks all! Although bad in the sense that now I want a CTS-V and people will think I'm crazy after showing them my new Legacy GT I got the other month.

Granted my LGT is modded and is currently at Stage 2 putting down around 300 whp and 300+ ft/lb torque to the wheels. My only gripe is that the mods have made things a little quirky and I'm finding rattles here and there that are driving me crazy. I feel like I can get everything worked out but in the end, I'm driving a Subaru and don't have much need for AWD (although its cool to have).

The Cadillac refinement seems to be great as I really loved my E60 5 series BMW but couldn't swallow the maintenance/repairs after warranty was nearing expiration. Seems like the CTS-V is close in luxury but will destroy it in all out speed. Drooool...

I found a one owner 2007 CTS-V with 101K on the clock in my city asking $14.5K (figure I can haggle down to $13K). Will give them a call tonight and hope its still for sale or available to check out.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced my saabaru DD with an 05. It's different, and the wheels are expensive but it's not much less useful once I put the snow tires on. I live on a steep hill and stay in until the plow/salt truck comes down my street. But when my Saabaru on snows would just tear up the hill, I was the only dumbass who showed up to work so I'm ok with my current situation. It's a much better driver if you spend any time sitting in traffic or on the highway. The shifting is heavy and while the car is pretty agile, it doesn't always feel that way if you're just lumbering around so I find stop and go or in town driving cumbersome. It's not a tough transition really. Also I got 19-20 mpg before and the V does 17-18 on the same gas stations and drive schedule. You're not losing much there.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

I sold a 2006 LGT, with every mod out there (all exhaust, turbo, meth, suspension, bracing, wheels, audio, appearance) to buy my 2007 V, also my first GM car. My wife DD's an 05 LGT. I'd say I have a fair amount of experience with both cars. What I miss most about my LGT is the AWD in the snow (I live in Chicago, not sure where you're from), cheap wheel options, more accurate shifting, better fuel economy, ease of maintenance/modification, and general bullet proof feeling. What I prefer most about my V is the low end torque, smoother power delivery, more refined ride quality, larger trunk, and even more of a sleeper factor than I had with the Legacy. I worry a little bit more about breaking stuff in the V, but I don't drive like an idiot and mod accordingly.

The fit and finish in the Cadillac is no better than my Legacy. The interior materials, leather, amount of plastic surfaces... its all a wash. They both creak and rattle about the same. Road noise is about the same, but I've done extensive dynamat in both cars to help that. The Subaru was very reliable, and the only maintenance issues that arose were mostly heat related from a lot of summer track days (ball joints, wheel bearings...). It took fewer parts to bring the V up to my standards, but probably at the same cost of what I spent on the Subaru, to a point.

I don't regret selling the Legacy, I owned it since new for 7yrs and was ready to move on to something else. I don't regret buying the V, even though in selling an AWD car in favor of a RWD car in the fall, I caused last winter for the mid-west, and am likely the cause of the start to the cold this year

Last edited by Fweasel; 01-08-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to also echo the fit and finish comment. If squeaks creaks and rattles are bugging you, a 2,000's GM isn't gonna be an improvement.

I've said it before, but this car isn't much of a Cadillac, but it's a hell of a nice Chevy.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by isis
I've said it before, but this car isn't much of a Cadillac, but it's a hell of a nice Chevy.
2nd. Its really a 4dr C5 vette, no better, no worse. My parents just bought a 2014 C7 and the interior is worlds above anything I've seen from a vette before and more on par with what you'd expect from a line like Cadillac.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

It might be on par with a VW or Volvo but lol at being as tightly executed as an E60.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:43 PM

Thanks for keeping my expectations in check. BMW's are fantastic in every way except for problems, cost of repairs, and electrical issues.

I guess I'm nitpicking with my Legacy GT with minor things such as ride stiffness (I think I'll need to replace all bushings and ball joints) and some aftermarket parts on it that were not executed perfectly (i.e. aftermarket stereo system has an audible hiss).

I also live in Southern California so snow is not something I've driven through in many years hence the AWD isn't necessary. My Legacy also has 142K on the clock so I figure a rebuild is in my not too distant future.

Hopefully I can check out the CTS-V and give it a whirl and see how it compares to the Legacy and I'll report back with what I find. Any other input though would be much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where in southern California? I'm near temecula. I daily mine and I love it. I came from a Cobalt SS that was pretty well modified. My wife getting pregnant brought on the sale. I really love my V though. All the issues are fixable. I just did rear subframe (cradle) bushings, motor mounts, trans mount, clutch, and upgraded clutch master cylinder. Parts alone was just under $2k but the car feels brand new, solid. Well worth it. And on long trips, I get 26mpg cruise on at 70ish. For a 400bhp car that weighs almost 4k lbs that ain't too shabby.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Default Older Vs

These are race cars and have
been run HARD.. almost without exception. Fun factor 10
Work on factor 11
So be rich and be handy

'14V and '05V

Old 01-09-2015, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

I bought my 04 V with 113k on the clock. It was beat on (but taken care of) and is still beat on 38k miles later lol... be careful though, the mod bug is very dangerous .
Old 01-09-2015, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v8strait
These are race cars and have
been run HARD.. almost without exception. Fun factor 10
Work on factor 11
So be rich and be handy

'14V and '05V
Lol, not even... Some have, and that's true with any model of car out there. I looked at several that were owned by people who never abused them. One in particular springs to mind... Had real high miles 125k I believe... Retired couple, husband would drive the motor home, wife would follow in the V. Lol yea, that things been rode hard and put away wet. I bet she was doing hot laps at Laguna Seca on the weekend.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:08 PM

Guess no V in my immediate future as the one I found sold super quick. It had 100K on the clock, bone stock, original owner who is selling it since he bought the new V. Did a 200 mile radius search and everyone is asking quite a bit more. Grrrrr!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

From the motor's standpoint, 100k is nothing. The rest of the car (shocks, clutch, fluids, tires, etc, etc) is just like any other car. Keep looking.

Say, I have to ask: Have you driven one?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Guess no V in my immediate future as the one I found sold super quick. It had 100K on the clock, bone stock, original owner who is selling it since he bought the new V. Did a 200 mile radius search and everyone is asking quite a bit more. Grrrrr!
14.5 seems like a decent price. For most institutions 07's are generally no longer finance-able, often ditto with 100k+ miles. There are of course some exceptions like really kickass credit unions or a unsecured loan with good terms (what I did, via Lightstream)

Keep an eye on this subforums (CTS-V classifieds) the RevShift car looks like a red hot deal....are bushing expensive no.....is putting them in fun....NO!

Yeah interiors not so great materials wise. Its is plasticky, it doesn't have that rich feel like BMWs have....Another thing about BMWs the maintenance is pretty expensive but performance upgrades.....are outta sight, they also don't seem to yield much results unless they are forced induction related.

Last edited by hefftone; 01-09-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

My 05 V is about 15 years behind the refinement of my 01 gs430.

I don't look at the V as a "luxury" car. It's totally unique, not very common and sounds amazing, puts a smile on my face very time I drive it.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:55 PM

Will keep my eyes peeled on the classified section.

Did a nation-wide search and nada that looked good to me at the right price point. I'm sticking to 2006-2007 to avoid possible diff issues unless I stumble across a 2005 with an upgraded diff.

Or I might grow more in love with my Subie. I've put a good amount of blood, sweat and $$$ into it already tuning it up but still have a bit left to do.

Quick Reply: New to the GM world and considering a CTS-V