Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

getting my headers installed... anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting my headers installed... anything else?

sup guys, so im finally going to be installing my kooks headers next month, i have free flow cats for it too. here are my questions tho

1. will i need 02 extensions? like in the 4th gen fbodys?

2. should i leave it cat less? or install the freeflow cats? (i live in california)

3. should i remove the stock resonator?

4. if i do remove the resonator, what x pipe have u guys put on ur car that u guys love?

i currently dont have mufflers at all just stock exhaust just trying to get everything together b4 i start taking it all apart thanks!
Old 01-12-2015, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

While you are doing headers do your motor mounts if you havnt done so
Old 01-12-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

plugs and wires. I didn't use any extensions. i have them though. The passenger side need to be pulled to make it but it did.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

i just got new plugs and wires about a month ago... new mounts about a month ago too from cadillac dealer since its still under warranty
Old 01-12-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're power steering hose is leaking, it would be a prime time to replace it.

I'm guessing you'll be taking the starter off so you may as well have the solenoid replaced with a more conventional ring terminal style and do away with the V1 specific connector that typically fails.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Get rid if the stock mounts. They are junk and will fail again. If you have good cats put them back on. Less tuning issues plus ni raw fuel smell when cold starting.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you know someone that will give you a pass on the visual portion of the CA smog check, you're going to get good at swapping out the exhaust every 2 years. I don't think anyone makes a CARB approved header and cat for the V. With that said, on the back of the cylinder heads there is a plastic nut/zip tie combo that you can cut the zip tie and it will give you a few more inches to reach the rear O2's. I purchased a set of O2 extensions, but they did not fit my 2007 which has me thinking that there may have been a change in the connections from the previous years. I didn't put much more thought into the extensions after they didn't fit as I was able to get it to fit without them, although some of the wires barely make it. I installed the hi flow cats so I would not get the unburnt fuel smell. The cats (or off-road pipes) should connect ahead of the resonator. I have a Magnaflow cat back and I don't have much drone, although many have reported drone with it most noticeably in the 1800-2200 rpm range. I used a blanket and wrapped my starter and wires after reading threads about people melting wires going into the starter.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c9071
Get rid if the stock mounts. They are junk and will fail again. If you have good cats put them back on. Less tuning issues plus ni raw fuel smell when cold starting.
Stock cats are in no way compatible with aftermarket headers, but I would definitely use cats of any kind on a daily.

I have an x-pipe on mine and feel it introduces a lot of unnecessary turbulence at the merge. I'd rather have an H-pipe or at least an x-pipe that wasn't such a bottleneck.

Most of the other points have been hit--particularly the CARB inspection.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Stock cats are in no way compatible with aftermarket headers, but I would definitely use cats of any kind on a daily.

I have an x-pipe on mine and feel it introduces a lot of unnecessary turbulence at the merge. I'd rather have an H-pipe or at least an x-pipe that wasn't such a bottleneck.

Most of the other points have been hit--particularly the CARB inspection.
so u think i should just keep the stock resonator or look for something else? what kind of x or h pipe is good, sorry not too familiar with these cars, im more into the fbody type of ride
Old 01-12-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

anyone know which are the best motor mounts? i read that luke at lidnsey cadillac has motor and trans mounts that work pretty good, is there any others that work better? thanks for the help guys
Old 01-12-2015, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Creative steel and revshift make cost effective ones. I think Luke sells UMIs which cost a good bit more. All 3 have pluses and minuses.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by isis
Creative steel and revshift make cost effective ones. I think Luke sells UMIs which cost a good bit more. All 3 have pluses and minuses.
Thanks for the heads up I'll look them up
Old 01-12-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

What?!! Nobody mentioned the dipstick tube reinstall?

All else pales in comparison!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rand49er
What?!! Nobody mentioned the dipstick tube reinstall?

All else pales in comparison!
Wats that? Lol
Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kooks come with o2 extensions, I used them just so I didnt have to worry. I also used high flow cats, kept the factory resonator because it is an X inside, and had muffler delete. I think that was the best sounding combo for a daily.

I agree on switching to an aftermarket mount whether it be CS, UMI, or RS.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 59 camaro
Wats that? Lol
If you remove the dipstick tube, it's sometimes (I fit in this group) not easy to get it back in the hole. More than one guy has had his car towed to a shop to get it reinstalled. I was lucky and got mine back in. Some guys think this is trivial, but I darn near freaked out when it happened to me.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Kooks come with o2 extensions, I used them just so I didnt have to worry. I also used high flow cats, kept the factory resonator because it is an X inside, and had muffler delete. I think that was the best sounding combo for a daily.

I agree on switching to an aftermarket mount whether it be CS, UMI, or RS.
Thanks brother I guess I'm going to keep the resonator. And high flow cats. And already ordered my revshift trans n motor mounts
Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rand49er
If you remove the dipstick tube, it's sometimes (I fit in this group) not easy to get it back in the hole. More than one guy has had his car towed to a shop to get it reinstalled. I was lucky and got mine back in. Some guys think this is trivial, but I darn near freaked out when it happened to me.
I'll be extra carefull when checking my oil lol
Old 01-13-2015, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am not sure what gaskets the kooks come with but if they arent the GM ones i would spring for the GM mls gasket. also maybe some heat boots for your wires. some of mine touched the primaries.

i am on long tubes, no cats, and stock catback. i like it. but in CA you will need the cats no question. you also may need to do some modifications to the stock exhaust so the tips are not way out the *** end.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely put in some aftermarket MM's; I have Revshifts and couldnt be happier. I also needed O2 ext. but I am running B&B headers.

Quick Reply: getting my headers installed... anything else?