Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS 7 or LS 9 clutch kit for '06 CTS V?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 7 or LS 9 clutch kit for '06 CTS V?

I was going to start collecting parts to change out my stock clutch in my '06 V to the LS 7 clutch. I was telling a shop about what I wanted to do and he was telling me to go with the LS 9 clutch. I haven't seen anything posted about anyone using that clutch on here. Just wanted to get some info if anyone has went to the LS 9 or just go with the LS 7.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

An idea of your power goals would help make that decision. Couple on here are running the LS9. More the ls7. IMO if you're thinking of running the LS9 clutch then you might as well go for a Mcleod RST/or RXT. Little bit more $ but worlds better than the LS9. 500whp the LS7 will work just fine, and act like stock.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Teching In

I guess that would have helped if I posted what all I was looking to do. I would eventually like to pull the motor, clean up the heads, install a mild street cam, long tube headers. If I can get 500 hp I'll be content. It will be a while until I get around to pulling the motor. Right now I just have basic bolt ons. Corsa exhaust, K and N cold air intake and all of the normal replacement bushings and the motor mounts. Nothing big as of now.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Vaportrail
I was going to start collecting parts to change out my stock clutch in my '06 V to the LS 7 clutch. I was telling a shop about what I wanted to do and he was telling me to go with the LS 9 clutch. I haven't seen anything posted about anyone using that clutch on here. Just wanted to get some info if anyone has went to the LS 9 or just go with the LS 7.
Thanks in advance.
If you search for the people running the LS9 clutch you will find many failures, and unhappy people. Most issues are due to the very poor structural design of the pressure plate (they tend to come apart).
Old 03-30-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06Vaportrail
I guess that would have helped if I posted what all I was looking to do. I would eventually like to pull the motor, clean up the heads, install a mild street cam, long tube headers. If I can get 500 hp I'll be content. It will be a while until I get around to pulling the motor. Right now I just have basic bolt ons. Corsa exhaust, K and N cold air intake and all of the normal replacement bushings and the motor mounts. Nothing big as of now.
The LS7 will be all that you need. Doubt you will hit 500 going NA max effort. 450/460 is more likely attainable.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I will just continue with my original plan with the LS 7. I am not looking for a flat out all speed car, just something quick and better than stock with more handling than anything. Having a blast driving it as it is now.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Out of curiosity besides Brian aka pisnuoff who else who has the ls9 clutch that the pp failed? Cause I have the ls9r from katech no issues even with 10 Hard launches at the track. I'll see how she holds when there is more power but my buddy has the ls9 kit from katech and he put 15k on it no problem and his car is pushing 420 whp.

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
If you search for the people running the LS9 clutch you will find many failures, and unhappy people. Most issues are due to the very poor structural design of the pressure plate (they tend to come apart).
Old 03-30-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for 6 months or so... Works perfect. *knock on wood*

I think the failure has more to do with Brian being Brian lol he breaks everything.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, no offense, but SNL sells a competing product to the LS9 so...

I went with the C6 clutch because it's cheap, but if I were planning on nice heads, big cam, etc, I would probably go with LS9.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

For me its currently the LS7 clutch, but after i tune my car i will be installin my LS9 Clutch with Alu flywheel.

I was going to go with a RPS clutch, but the price was just out of my budget.

Plus its GM, there has to be a low failure rate, the safety of the public is at risk not to mention the corvette reputation.

Last edited by Naf; 03-31-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Naf
For me its currently the LS7 clutch, but after i tune my car i will be installin my LS9 Clutch with Alu flywheel.

I was going to go with a RPS clutch, but the price was just out of my budget.

Plus its GM, there has to be a low failure rate, the safety of the public is at risk not to mention the corvette reputation.
All that money on that car and you're going to skimp on the clutch?!

Now that it was asked I cannot seem to find all the people that broke one, but I do remember several. I think Brian broke his more than once. At any rate assuming that GM has a low failure rate is not a risk I'm going to take. Plenty of parts come from the factory that are basic junk. Other wise there would be no recalls.....

I would run the LS7 all day if power goals warranted it's use. But if I needed more, I would look to the aftermarket world. Especially for a twin disk.

All that said I will never buy a monster clutch again.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

"Many failures?!!" I don't consider myself to be an expert, but I do appreciate objectivity when I see it. Brian's the only one I've heard of destroying his LS9, and he breaks EVERYTHING.

Had my LS9 installed in June '11 at just under 57k miles. Still only have 70k on the car and love the clutch. I got sold on it when a member local to me loaned his car to Katech to act as a test bed, and he let me drive it. Very smooth engagement ... much better than stock. In the spirit of full disclosure, I have not driven an LS7 clutch, but lots of guys swear by them.

That said, the LS7 is probably the way to go for you. Save the difference in money especially at your projected power level.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bmylez
Also, no offense, but SNL sells a competing product to the LS9 so...

I went with the C6 clutch because it's cheap, but if I were planning on nice heads, big cam, etc, I would probably go with LS9.
Technically any aftermarket clutch company competes with OEM manufacturers based on that statement... The LS9's fail, you can find that information by searching the internet - don't just take our word for it.

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

All that said I will never buy a monster clutch again.
You have a Level 3 single in a first gen V, I'm sure it's a bitch to drive. That said, you care to elaborate on why you hate us so much? Other than putting an aggressive single in what I assume is a daily?

Originally Posted by rand49er
"Many failures?!!" I don't consider myself to be an expert, but I do appreciate objectivity when I see it. Brian's the only one I've heard of destroying his LS9, and he breaks EVERYTHING.

Had my LS9 installed in June '11 at just under 57k miles. Still only have 70k on the car and love the clutch. I got sold on it when a member local to me loaned his car to Katech to act as a test bed, and he let me drive it. Very smooth engagement ... much better than stock. In the spirit of full disclosure, I have not driven an LS7 clutch, but lots of guys swear by them.

That said, the LS7 is probably the way to go for you. Save the difference in money especially at your projected power level.
Yes, many.

How many fast people have you seen using an LS9? How many people do you see really abusing and using those with great success? Not very many at all. I don't spout bs on the forum to sell something, I try and educate people. Putting an LS7 or LS9 in something as heavy as a first gen V and abusing it is not a wise decision, that said, if it's a daily and you're on a budget it isn't a bad idea. That doesn't make either of those clutches great, it just means it'll work.

So, would I recommend a LT1-S or Level 2 Monster for the OP? Sure, would I recommend a Level 3? No. Would I recommend a LS7? See my comment above. Would I recommend a LS9? Given what I know about clutches and the overall internal workings? Not a f*cking chance. The LS9 is a flamming pile of crap and makes great boat anchors or wall art... if you can find a stud and nail strong enough to hold the turd to a wall.

Just a side note, I'm not trying to down anyones opinions, I'm sharing my opinions based on what I do for a living... hopefully nobody gets their feelings hurt.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:59 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I agree that if you plan on abusing it in our heavy cars, the LS9 is not the one to get. I broke two pressure plates.

I upgraded to an RPS twin after the two LS9's. It was the 1/2 carbon, 1/2 organic one. The marcel spring inside was barely hanging on after about 6k miles on my 418.

I had RPS make me a full carbon with NO springs whatsoever. It is not something I'd recommend for any sort of daily driving. But, it lasted 15k of my miles and still looks good. There is wear but it's not broken. I have to admit I was fully expecting to pull out a broken clutch. Lol
Old 03-31-2015, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Well, I agree that if you plan on abusing it in our heavy cars, the LS9 is not the one to get. I broke two pressure plates.

I upgraded to an RPS twin after the two LS9's. It was the 1/2 carbon, 1/2 organic one. The marcel spring inside was barely hanging on after about 6k miles on my 418.

I had RPS make me a full carbon with NO springs whatsoever. It is not something I'd recommend for any sort of daily driving. But, it lasted 15k of my miles and still looks good. There is wear but it's not broken. I have to admit I was fully expecting to pull out a broken clutch. Lol
That is my point. And LS9's are just sub par at best... and that's being nice.

What are you running now?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is my point. And LS9's are just sub par at best... and that's being nice.

What are you running now?
He is running the carbon plates... You realize he has broken literally everything on these cars... Except, somehow, for his differential... He needs to donate that thing to science so we can dissect it and make impenetrable armor out of it.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
He is running the carbon plates... You realize he has broken literally everything on these cars... Except, somehow, for his differential... He needs to donate that thing to science so we can dissect it and make impenetrable armor out of it.
That's not hard to do, I broke everything you can on a GTO, 1st gen V (including a diff), and now we're on to the 2nd gen V's (we've got 5 over 1000 rwhp, two of those over 1,440 rwhp). I've been around breaking things, especially while banging gears. That's is where my opinions and experience speak from.

It's great to have someone out there with the platforms guys have abusing and pushing them, it helps the entire community!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

...Yes, many.

How many fast people have you seen using an LS9? How many people do you see really abusing and using those with great success? Not very many at all ...
Now, does that really apply here? The guy's got a basically stock Gen1 V, for cryin' out loud.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

I would elaborate more about my dislike, but I don't want to get into that bees nest. Take solace in the fact that I don't go out of my way to bash y'all. I let bygones be bygones, I'm sure you do many things right.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by rand49er
Now, does that really apply here? The guy's got a basically stock Gen1 V, for cryin' out loud.
Yes, why? Because my saying a LS9 is crap was questioned. I don't say things for fun, I say things because of my experiences.

And I'd recommend the guy a LS7 well before spending the money on a LS9 on a basically stock Gen 1 V.

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I would elaborate more about my dislike, but I don't want to get into that bees nest. Take solace in the fact that I don't go out of my way to bash y'all. I let bygones be bygones, I'm sure you do many things right.
We make mistakes like everyone else, your signature contradicts what you replied with here.

Quick Reply: LS 7 or LS 9 clutch kit for '06 CTS V?