Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

big power with a KB (still in R&D phases though very interesting read)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big power with a KB (still in R&D phases though very interesting read)

Granted, this is with a 402ci motor, still has some kinks that need to be ironed out but still another sweet alternative. Question, is there anyone out there that knows of someone that has had a magnuson with a larger ci motor put together?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1373538
Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

Not to rain on the parade,
but what is the point of adding power to the V when the rears are failing with the STOCK power?

A 9" rear and a KB would be a nice combo for the V,
but no sense adding power until you have the 9" rear installed.

I believe a twin turbo (STS?) would be the best power adder,
followed by the Kenne Bell.
I wonder if it would fit under the stock hood of the V?
It would be interesting.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tt c6
Not to rain on the parade,
but what is the point of adding power to the V when the rears are failing with the STOCK power?

A 9" rear and a KB would be a nice combo for the V,
but no sense adding power until you have the 9" rear installed.

I believe a twin turbo (STS?) would be the best power adder,
followed by the Kenne Bell.
I wonder if it would fit under the stock hood of the V?
It would be interesting.
i believe a twin turbo set-up was the best power adder for a 1990 nissan, however nowadays twin turbo is a waste. even audi ditched the idea, its weak
Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Nah, no rain...

I believe the general idea is that to launch the CTS-V in stock form, with stock F1'z, wil get you a nice dosage of wheelhop and rear end casing failure. Now, that is not to say that it wont hold. There are more than a few members that have been spraying 150 shots, added 382 shortblocks with a prochager poweradded, magnuson blowers, n/a upgrades with no or little ill effects to the stock rear. Thats not to say that a well placed 6k clutch slip will not help out in the rear end failure department.

The KB package, on a c5 z06, will get it to 600hp crank hp... thats more than 500rwhp.... they're are guys holding that with the stock rear. THe biggest concern is the rear whinning, that is common... also, most have been able to get the 06 diff which is stronger than the 05. Some have shattered the stock rear however, they're a few options or rears in development.

Im not sure if it would fit unless opting for a different hood, but if you could, it would be a sweet alternative to the "maggie"
Old 05-01-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bbc454
i believe a twin turbo set-up was the best power adder for a 1990 nissan, however nowadays twin turbo is a waste. even audi ditched the idea, its weak
You make ignorant comments without backing it up with proof... So how about you go over to the forced induction forum and tell everyone with TT kits that their cars are weak... Then come back here and tell us how you feel when you get reemed with information because you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

twins huh?

well, now for something completely different...

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/corvette/c6.htm

Heres are two vids with that setup that might change your mind... or not!!

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/corvette/dyno1.wmv
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/corvette/c6_blat.wmv

and for giggles, heres a nice twins setup on a GTO and dyno vid:

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/ls1/us_gto.htm

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/ls1/ls2/gto_dyno.wmv

To add a few notes from the old storage graveyard i call a brain, a well balanced twin turbo setup will out hustle a single trubo off the line anyday, not to say that a well balanced single turbo will also get the jump on a twin setup.

Basically, let say you wanted to have 1000hp. You have a motor that produces lets say 500hp or half of that. Now, you add the turbo to get you to the rest. Well, if you increase the "boost", or atmospheric pressure being jammed into the TB by 1 bar or roughly 15psi (14.7psi), of which your motor is already getting roughly 14.7psi from you current atmosphere vs sealevel region...... you, theoretically, can double the output of that motor.... WUALA!!! 1000hp.

Well, if you wanted to do that efficiently with the single, you got spin to a preset rpm, predetermined by that turbo's design, to achieve your 14.7/15psi or 1 bar. Hypetetically speaking, let say 10,000rpm. (just a number!!) Now, with a twins setup, you got to spin, theroetically and all things been equal, only half that rpm or 5,000rpm. Less work is involved therefore lower amount of frictonal loss vs power productivity. You got to do less to achieve the same amount or work... thats a good thing, i think?

Also, the Lag on the twins is theroetically smaller than the single turbo becuz the single, required to produce the predetermined boost level at a higher rpm, will give up a little down low will its spinning to that sweet spot due to turbine/compressor sizing, air capacity, etc. The twins, which will be small, doesn't need to rev that high so its "in-boost" sooner therefore creating a broader power chart than a "spike" type of dyno graph from the single turbo... Again, i have seem twins that have a pronounced spike so anything is possible or nothing is impossible. Wait, is it nothing is possible or everything is impossible? Im not sure anymore....

Anyways, where was i, yes...right!!!!

(big exhale!!!)

Twins aren't old school and are in very much use today, search around and you'll see... they are a great kit for a street car, power is more linear and not a sudden surge at mid powerband.

Also, a bit of history, if your talking about a 240sx/180sx nissan. I believe the general idea was a single turbo since its was a four cylinder and you really have no need or exhaust "power" to push two turbos. A sr20det is the basic swap found on the s13 silvia'z (japanese 240/180'z). Now, if you are talking about the skyline r32 with its rb26dett, yes, that is a twin setup but on 6 cylinders very much like the toyota supra motor 2jz-gte.

Not trying to slap you on the wrist, sorta speak, but clearing a fews so its well understood.

but we're on a camaro site/ small block site... We dont need no stinkin power adder... the only power adder we need is the chevy bowtie on the grill and is just an oil cooler!!!

Last edited by obZidian; 05-01-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Good post, I was going to say that but was way to lazy...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BAD FNZ
Good post, I was going to say that but was way to lazy...
hahahaha what a hyopcritical douche bag, are you just one of those guys that says "yeah thats what i think too" after someone proves you wrong?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe you should go back to your Nissan board.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

Forgive "bbc454" my brothers and sisters,
for he knows not what he is talking about.

If you have any doubts that a properly designed twin turbo is the horsepower king, check this months Motor Trend and report back.
If not, check under the hood of any tractor trailer.

The following in the forced indution "dichotomy" if you will:

1. Twin Turbo (Lingenfelter, Hennessey, AMG)
2. Twin Screw Manifold-style supercharger (Ford GT, AMG)
3. Centrifugal supercharger (Vortech, Procharger, Paxton)
4. Sigle screw supercharger (Magnuson, Pontiac GTP)

I guess 2 and 3 are interchangeable depending whether or not you want the insane low end torque that 2 provides.
Heat soak is another reason 2 and 3 are interchangeable.
If it was my call, I'd go 1 then 2.

I LOVE the CTS-V and DESPERATELY want one.
But, this rear end design is pathetic and there is no point in modding the V until there is a solution for the rear.
I have to admit that at the projected price of the upcoming 9" ($5k+),
I'm waiting for a 6spd automatic in the next CTS-V or a properly designed rear.

It really pisses me off because I want a V RIGHT NOW!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

are u retarded?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

hahahaha what a hyopcritical douche bag, are you just one of those guys that says "yeah thats what i think too" after someone proves you wrong?

Actually no I've owned 3 turbo cars that I've built myself, 2 of them single turbo cars and 1 twin... Get off your high chair, I know what I'm talking about and yes I was to ******* lazy to type that up. Or I could be like you and copy and paste **** from websites to show my knowledge... That is what you do isn't it?

And last time I checked I wasn't proved wrong.. Obzidian was only proving my point further.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2c5s
Maybe you should go back to your Nissan board.
nissan? what part of bbc 454 says nissan to you *****? you just upset someone on the board has a faster car then yours?...its cool though i remember braggin about my 10 second car too, of course i was 19 at the time and had no idea that wasnt fast
Old 05-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kumar75150
are u retarded?
the day i care what a terrorist thinks of me is the day i kill myself
Old 05-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BAD FNZ
Actually no I've owned 3 turbo cars that I've built myself, 2 of them single turbo cars and 1 twin... Get off your high chair, I know what I'm talking about and yes I was to ******* lazy to type that up. Or I could be like you and copy and paste **** from websites to show my knowledge... That is what you do isn't it?

And last time I checked I wasn't proved wrong.. Obzidian was only proving my point further.

what did i quote? i didnt visit any other websites calling you a retard but im sure if i looked hard enough i could find a few. poser
Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

nissan? what part of bbc 454 says nissan to you *****? you just upset someone on the board has a faster car then yours?...its cool though i remember braggin about my 10 second car too, of course i was 19 at the time and had no idea that wasnt fast

blah blah blah........ I think it's clear who the 19 year old is. Now run along jr., back to your ricer boards.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

ibethegetsbanned
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow .
Old 05-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Teching In

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

brotha.... i hope you DON'T get banned.... just that you learn to keep your mouth in check....

Im of arab decent, last name is Saladin. Do you know your history?

.... Funny, at first, when tools like yourself started giving me the face and said little remarks as i walk by i usually stopped what i ws doing, got in their face, and more than a few times they had a mouth full of terrorist fist for lunch and dinner.

Now, i just laugh it of. You lack of intelligence and absolute disregard of common sense in our culturally diverse society is just not worth even to a "16sec. civic dx'z gas money."

I hope you stick around and learn a few things, it would be best for all of us...

Quick Reply: big power with a KB (still in R&D phases though very interesting read)