Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Heel toe Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel toe Downshifting

Are any of you able to do this with the pedal positioning in this car?

I simply cannot reach the gas pedal because the brake pedal is so much higher than the gas pedal...not more than a normal car, but enough to where i can't reach it...

Is there a way to adjust the pedals?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

the pedal will be down plenty far when your braking hard enough to justify a heel/toe....otherwise it should be just a simple rev match.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Default heel toe

the ctsv is very easy to double clutch heel toe even when not braking hard

Last edited by crazybmwapexkid; 01-22-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I takes some getting used to because the brake and gas are so far apart, side to side. Like Nikon said, the height disparity becomes moot when you are really getting on the brakes hard (as opposed to daily driving).

I've been heel toeing daily for about 2 years. It's just second nature now. I took a bit of time to get used to it in daily driving due to the hight and width difference.

Consider getting a gas pedal extension if the difference is too much (i.e. you have very narrow/small feet.)

-Chris
Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys...I suppose I've just been trying it getting off the interstate and what not...maybe not on the brakes hard enough.

I rev match on all my downshifts, I'm just trying to combine that with the brake for smoother driving. Maybe I just need more practice :-)
Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tylerz28ss
Thanks guys...I suppose I've just been trying it getting off the interstate and what not...maybe not on the brakes hard enough.

I rev match on all my downshifts, I'm just trying to combine that with the brake for smoother driving. Maybe I just need more practice :-)
Just a note about rev matching. I've been doing it bsically since I got the car. I seem to be eating motor mounts (on my 4th set @ 65k miles), and I think rev matching has a lot to do with it (i.e. the continuous torque pressure the motor exherts on the mounts when the engine is unloaded).

UUC is supposed to be comming out with some poly mounts for this car 'soon'. I'm going to trial them, since I seem to be so hard on the mounts. Can't wait for them to get off their butt and get them out.

-Chris
Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Might be a dumb questions, but how do you guys know when your mounts are going to ****?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marcus769
Might be a dumb questions, but how do you guys know when your mounts are going to ****?
LOL, not a dumb question, rather learned through experience

Basically, when you go to shut the car down, and it feels like it is 'deiseling', or taking over 1 second to shut down, then your mounts are probabaly blown.

Here's a pic of my worst one to date:

-Chris
Old 02-02-2008, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

I think mine are shot @ 35K miles. every time i go to shift at higher rpms it feels like the motor is wanting to come out of the car...also a lot of movement in the drivetrain once i let the clutch in at high rpm...how hard are they to change?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Like others have said, it is quite easy to heel-toe this car when really getting on the brakes (like at the track). I actually find it pretty difficult to smoothly do it on the street so I rarely try it. Also, I invested in some aftermarket pedals to widen the gas a little. Helped me since I'm only 5'7" and, ahem, have smaller feet.

Quick Reply: Heel toe Downshifting