Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

99 Twin turbo TA should be in Kelowna in week or so!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 99 Twin turbo TA should be in Kelowna in week or so!

Have booked trip to Regina and will be driving my 99 twin turbo ta home to Kelowna next weekend. Might take few weeks or month or so to get it plated up in BC have to think get catted ypipe to make it legal here.Thank god Kelowna has no air care crap!

So looking forward to meeting some to meeting some of you local f body boys and maybe we can start up an f body club here.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Have fun driving your car through the mountains. From Calgary outskirts to Kelowna it is almost a perfect drive. High speeds, lots of twisties, and most of the way dual lanes.

2 years ago when we drove from Stoon to Kelowna in my 2005 BMW M3, i seem to recall the portion from Calgary to Kelowna being around...maybe i shouldnt say for legal purposes

We are still hoping to get out to Kelowna this summer in the wife's ride. And i'll be on the lookout for a twin turbo powered beast of an fbody when and if we get there.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Well have made that trip several times now driving. Drove out in van last june to scout out Kelowna. Then drove back again end of august for good. And drove the vette out after that flew back to get it . So agree pretty fun roads. And think posted about dueling it out with some turbo diesels. But wasn't much of a contest. The vette is way lighter those things have the aerodynamics of a barn door and no way can outhandle a z06 at least none of the turbo diesels I played with were much competition. But of course there are some very crazy ones out there. And those would be better matched against the 99TT.

Actually was lucky didn't realize that at only 40km over limit they can impound,huge fines, etc in BC. Figured not a big deal could just pay the fine. And was way over the limit a lot of trip. But hey not saying how much you never know when big brother is watching right! LOL

Lets just say it was pretty much a Top Gear type of drive in the z06 when brought it out here.

So yeah should be ok hopefully everything goes good. Missed my car a lot only got to drive it a short while really with the new combo and then had to move. Guess could have planned to spend bit more time in Regina and see a few people ,cruise around a bit ,all that stuff but pretty busy now that got relicenced in real estate out here. Market is actually not bad right now and pretty sure will keep getting better. Kelowna prices slid down for a bit last several years but now think that is reversing. Lower mainland, Vancouver and Island are all sky high and think that will spin off,is spinning off to Kelowna. The place is just too nice to not keep growing. But in a way wish it would stay about size it is now.But you can't stop progress.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Picking up transport permit today. Flying out tomorrow afternoon. Should be playing with the car tomorrow night leave saturday for home. Sure miss the sound of those turbos, the blow off valves, the feel of boost . Someone once said talking about a twin turbo Vector that the turbos felt like the Hand of God pushing him in the back. That line has always made me want to get a turbo car really badly. And like I also like to say... . Big displacement is great but big displacement with boost now thats even better!!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok in Regina picked up car where it was in storage at buddy's house.
Only got to drive it a bit before had to move and put it away last fall .So few comments and impressions.
One big thing is how drive able it is ! A true street car.Off boost you would pretty much thiink it's your basic type of car especially just giving it low throttle input.
The ls9 cam is very tame ,no cam surge not much lope but of course the 427 tames it down being bigger than the ls9 engine. The yank stall is little bit loose but still pretty streetabe.
Compression is 9.5 again think good street compression but will hook up meth injection if start running high boost on the street but really don't think would run much past 10 or 15psi.
Power now is pretty crazy at 10psi on upgraded lg turbos.Course a built Erl 427 is no slouch!!
Engine seems really good ,good oil pressure thousand or so miles on it now .
Bit of decell whine from the big Dana 60 the 3.54 gears seem good have 4l80 so have fourth overdrive but a 6l80 would be nicer still.
C5 brake swap is working good car stops well. Handling pretty good have to play with the new strange shocks but put front sway back on last fall . Car is heavy figure 4000 or so have to weigh it so not going to handle like my zo6.
See how it does in mountains today.
New carbon fiber driveshaft is pretty smooth liking it had one iin past .
Well time to shower and hit the road 10 hours or so of driving ahead of me.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok car is home! Picked it up friday and drove around Regina a bit ,on loop thru Wascana park for old times sake and then back to hotel. Left early next morn stayed overnight in Calgary. Then this morning left 7am and got back to Kelowna 2pm this afternoon. Trip was mostly uneventful but did get to give friend in Calgary demo ride and let him drive it as well him being one of my oldest friends.
He was amazed and he is used to some pretty fast stuff. Big block old buicks are his thing. GS cars. Crazy torque but of course my 427 with twin turbos has a lot of torque as well.
So no tickets, did have some fun here and there with it , and did put it into good boost quite a few times on trip. Car handled great, brakes good with the c5 brake conversion.
Some minor things to sort out but the new ERL is working flawlessly. Around 2500 miles on it now.
So not sure though now what doing with the car. May sell it have some other plans and things that might want to do now. Or might keep it all will depend on maybe if get happy price for it and likely be posting some prices in the classified sections likely main one and
in the canadian one. I don't really are if sell it or not so whatever happens happens.

Car is defintely freakin fast even at only 10psi. I should have likey stopped in Edmonton or Calgary and got it dynoed and dyno tuned. But didn't have the time this trip. So have to do it maybe locally not sure yet.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Found out need to put cats on car to pass local safety. Think can pass with new set of et street radials they are legal tires. So not too big a deal.
But put car for sale , so far just on canadian classified and in local buy/sells. Not that motivated to sell it so whatever.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

So debating again about ordering a yipe with cats likely kooks ypipe. Car hasn't sold and kind of sick of looking at it, driving it in and out of the driveway or maybe sneaking a short cruise around the bay and not being able to cruise it.

Also still interested in starting up a camaro/firebird club here. If any of you guys want to talk about it pm me and we can get it going. Left a few notes here and there on some f bodies but so far no luck with people calling me .

Guess if can't get f body club going will just have to join vette club but really would like to join/be in both.
Love vettes but love my f bodies too.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Nothing much for update. Car still sitting. Leaning more to the kooks ypipe as its bolt on and can sell it I guess down the road don't really want to hack up current pipe as with labor likely cost as much as just ordering a kooks pipe. Don't think anyone else makes a bolt on cheaper pipe than the kooks.I need same type of pipe as works on the hooker long tubes.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Ordered Kooks stainless catted ypipe today from Jegs. Think want car bit quieter can always use cutout anyway and can bolt on my current non catted ypipe after safety if want as well see how it sounds with the catted one. This way all just bolt on and labor is not cheap anyway here so for what it likely would cost to make up a catted ypipe just have one thats plug and play now. Should get here in week or so. And hoping to safety and have 99 trans am up and plated by august 1st or maybe even sooner.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

kooks catted ypipe has been sitting here for a few days but bit busy so haven't got to car yet. Main think is to figure out whats up with my drivers side headlight. I have spare module and spare motor to try but think its wiring or connector or maybe switch in dash.
I don't think they are going to let me pass safety with the light not working right.
And don't think my toyos will pass safety but my et street radials are brand new.
Have some company coming on weekend but next week should be able to get this done.
Maybe phone a few safety places maybe it will be enough if they just see the tires and ypipe mabye won't make me have to put them on the car would just likely take them off anyway unless decide like the sound with the cats on there.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Update: busy lately so haven't done anything on 99.
Car is also still for sale.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Bit more update. Had problem that might have affected getting car safetied with the drivers side headlight.It quit going up. I was using it manually but now had to figure it out. Turns out is corrosion in the connector. So for now just did a quick jumper type of thing but can cut the wires and solder them or can buy another connector if gm sells them separately.
Have to check the headlight problem section in the forum. At worst can simply direct connect or use some other type of connector.

So now just have to book the ypipe install as don't really feel like doing it myself let muffler shop do it for me on overhead.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

If someone picks that ride up, they'll be getting a pretty bad A$$ car!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should find the "right guy" to out of province inspect and get it all registered up.

there should be the a car guy around to get that done for you. try out of town if you have to.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Any updates AL
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

I posted on your thread just now. Great job on all the progress you have made on yours!

I miss my buddies Doug Brotzel and Brian Hebert. So far don't have personal mechanic here yet. But didn't make it to track this year even to watch. Next year for sure!

Course car is still for sale various places and if it goes it goes. Just means the new stable will happening sooner.

Made slight change in that plan. First was vette the z06, next was going to be a viper but now think SL55 will be next. Luxury and still pretty fast and can use that for work a bit here and there when tour single clients and for sure have to have a vert here.Then likely the viper or possibly 911 awd turbo like 2008 or so. Love those big time came close to buying a Porsche thru the years but never did. Had big hard on for like a 1978 or so whale tail and love the 928s as well.
And if win lotto maybe someday can have my dream car a ferrari and currently dream is 458 spyder.
But still pretty fun to have one supermodified car in the stable too and of course will always love my f bodies. Likely get my son who just turned 16 likely his first f body. Likely be third gen or fourth gen unless could find him nice second. No way he is getting the 99! and likely his first car will a v6 version. And if do sell my 99 might get a stock ws6 again down the road. Fact might get two or three old musclecars..big block chevelle, sd455 ta and buick grand national.
Almost bought a grand national here last week. Bit of mileage but not bad condition and could have got it for 12k or maybe 10k.
And it was a real one but not GNX . Still..they were neat cars..

So did you make it thru here this year? Been nice and hot and dry for weeks. And we had that one pretty good fire nearby.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 AM
On The Tree

ML63 AMG is a great suv if you can find one with authentic wheels that haven't been curbed (very hard). Very thirsty and a bit heavier than my SRT8 Jeep....but still a great vehicle nonetheless.

Buick Gran National GNX (one of the greats) would be an awesome vehicle to own if modified slightly. These are a ton of work unless you have qualified people to help you out...lots of little quirky bits to sort out in tuning. I wouldn't say NO to one if i was offered

I would save your 99TA for your child and detune the crap out of it for the time being with all the $$$ and time you have into it...it would be a sad loss...kinda like trading in Monica Bellucci:

for this:

Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

Al don't do it...you have soooooooooooooo much invested in your car you can't get back. Save Monica....don't settle with the alternative
Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Good looking woman..! LOL
The first one! LOL

I made the mistake of test driving a ML63 when bought my ML350. That ML63 was huge fun and fully loaded with every option as well. The ride height system is neat as is the ability to dial the suspension for handling or ride. Seats were great and it had all the other electronic toys ,top audio system,etc,etc. And 40k for one they have now is a steal. They are heavy as hell but still scoot pretty good with 500 plus hp.And they are not that great on gas but don't much care about that. Gas is write off to me with two businesses real estate and property ownership/management. So are vehicles of course.
And I drive the g35x fair bit as well to save mileage and wear and tear on the ML.
Just found out my brother has a g37 like 2012 but not awd version. He don't need that much where he lives. Says it goes pretty good and of course would be faster than wifes old 2004 it has like 68 more hp and is like 300 pounds lighter. Not sure if it would have any traction problems off the line ,awd of course lets you just hammer it off the line and go.
Cool you can turn off that traction control to have some fun with the g's. May have to try that sometime. Think you can even turn off the Merc one as well. Wonder if that would save fuel in the Merc out of curiosity.

I guess could detune hell out of the 99 and give to son but still think a 427 even detuned heck even a bone stock ws6 is too much for a 16 year old kid. He may wait awile to get his license ,which is fine with me. But am pretty sure will get him a firebird for his first car and most likely a third or fourth gen. Saw a nice 2000 vert the other day ,red v6 auto. Under 8k with 100k or so on it. Km not miles. Tempted to get it and drive it around personally for few years then give it to him.

I do right now have huge hard on for SL55 and would let the 99 go to get one sooner.
That will also give me a vert and like retractible hardtops much better than rag tops. I have not test driven an sl55 but sure it will impress. While its also a pretty heavy car still going to have decent torque with the v8 supercharger setup. And realizing that much past 500 hp is not really that useful on the street anyway. The z06 is a nice sweet spot for power. But of course its like 3100 pound and 500 hp with a big cube engine. Not even sure would want or need a zr1. Maybe I am getting old! LOL

A viper would still be great to have as well ,and love the snakeskin green 2008ish ones. The copperhead 2005 were nice too but 2008 got a lot of improvements over 2005. Not even sure like the newest ones. Like the tech in them ,traction control and all that but not sure like the looks as much, think like the 2008 better ,especially the 2008 hood with the big louvers. But vipers are only offered manual unless want to get auto swapped into it and wouldn't don't think. And Z06 is of course manual and could also get it swapped to auto but dont think will. I do find that prefer cars like the Merc or G that have both auto and manual option. With the hills here nice to not have to shift if don't want to. Best of both worlds. And really never liked or had much luck with clutches.

So could see trading up the z06 for c7 z06 or zr1 if they offer them with auto/paddle shifter option. Other car that love to death and want maybe sooner rather than later is a nice 2008 or so Porsche awd turbo. So sweet. But around 100k for those still used.

Gorgeous one for sale now near me. See it cruising from my back deck a lot.
Might consider one of those ahead of the sl55 if they came with retractible hardtop but pretty sure they are ragtop only. And the sl55 can get for 50k or so half what the Porsches go for similar year.

Quick Reply: 99 Twin turbo TA should be in Kelowna in week or so!