Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

What vehicle is in demand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What vehicle is in demand?

Say I move back to Canada and what to bring any new car with me (which I could because I'm a permanent rez of the US for the last 16 years).
What car would be my best money maker?
In other words what vehicle is in BIG demand and would draw the most cash?

Example:
2008 C6 Vette
2008 ZO6
2007 GTO

Any ideas?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Well GTO you can't bring over so thats outta the question. That leaves you with the Vettes. I thought the RIV banned the import of 08 GM vehicle manufactured after January 07.

I think you maybe be SOL on the choices.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would say an GMC Acadian should bring you a good return on your investment. They is a huge difference between Canada and the US for pricing.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Acadia.......they don't offer the Acadian anymore.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

That is one loophole to get one into canada, but can you resell it here? I heard you cant.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Orange_crush
That is one loophole to get one into canada, but can you resell it here? I heard you cant.
That is one loophole to get one into Canada, but can you resell it here? I heard you cant.[/QUOTE]

As long as I own any vehicle in the US and it passes safety and pollution monitoring, it's a done deal. Customs can not turn away anything I own. That is plain and simple. Same goes for electronics, motorcycles, boats/motors and the list goes on. My personal property is mine and it comes with me. Customs can not do a thing.....nothing.

When I moved my ex to Canada, she brought all her personal good including her car that we sold in Canada (BMW 325is). The only thing customs looks down on is booze, cigarettes and dope. Everything else goes including the GTO. You sign a declaration at the border of what is "yet to come" if it is not in your possession when you actually cross at customs - I've done it before back in 1989.

As for a Canadian (living in Canada) trying to bring a GTO into Canada is off limits but people moving to Canada with any car is not turned away.
I bet that fellow moving from Florida to TO will not have a problem getting his Goat in..
Old 11-24-2007, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

You will only be allowed to drive around with your american plates for a certain amount of time before you have to register the car in Ontario. Once you do, you'll have to get a safety, pay tax, have the recalls done, and then you'll see that you cannot register a GTO, or any american 08 GM vehicle in Ontario. Just my .02... My neighbour has been through it at least a dozen times...
Old 11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by umbrae
You will only be allowed to drive around with your american plates for a certain amount of time before you have to register the car in Ontario. Once you do, you'll have to get a safety, pay tax, have the recalls done, and then you'll see that you cannot register a GTO, or any american 08 GM vehicle in Ontario. Just my .02... My neighbour has been through it at least a dozen times...
But you neighbour lives in Canada. Canadians can't bring in certain cars but people moving to Canada from another country can. I'll be in Canada from Dec 13 - Jan 7 and check it out with customs just for the hell of it.

But anyone moving to Canada from the US can bring their own property with them. Customs can't say, no you can't bring that car in.......

They can tell Canadians living in Canada that because you are importing into your own country.

It will be interesting but like I said, I've lived in the USA on 2 different occasions and had no problems coming or going with my goods. There were no limitations what so ever.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 240SX GTO
It will be interesting but like I said, I've lived in the USA on 2 different occasions and had no problems coming or going with my goods. There were no limitations what so ever.[/COLOR]

You can bring in any vehicle you want.... as for licensing it... it's another story. You're not the only person who has moved here from another country... don't you think at least one of those other people would have tried to bring in a GTO already... has anyone seen one?

I should just move to Italy.. live there a bit... then bring back a Ferrari F40... since I lived in Italy and owned it... I should be able to drive it here right
Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

They are AMERICAN citizens... They own farms up here, and in kentucky, so they're back and forth all the time. Believe me, if they want to have the vehicle stay here, its got to have Ontario plates. Thats when the licensing regulations come into effect.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Ya, I've NEVER seen a GTO up here. Such a shame, they are awesome cars.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't see a problem with bringing the GTO across the border...but who will insure the car? IIRC, you can't insure the GTO's here because they don't pass the crash tests or something along those lines.

Obviously you could get someone to "safety" the car, but I have no idea how you would get around inscurance.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

First off, any car imported into Canada that is less than 15 years old (any LSx GTO) will have to go through the RIV process in order to get registered. No exceptions. No RIV paper, no Ontario registration. And what happens when you call RIV and tell them you have a GTO? They turn around and say "Sorry" no RIV program exists for your car.

Having said that, you could import one for the track.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hylton
First off, any car imported into Canada that is less than 15 years old (any LSx GTO) will have to go through the RIV process in order to get registered . No exceptions. No RIV paper, no Ontario registration. And what happens when you call RIV and tell them you have a GTO? They turn around and say "Sorry" no RIV program exists for your car.

Having said that, you could import one for the track.
Going off topic a little, but that's why every kid in town is getting his hands on an R32 Skyline. Since they are now more than 15 years old, everyone is getting their hands on them. Granted, I don't think they pass safety or e-test...but you can get around that.

As I'm sure you've noticed Hylton, they're becoming the new Honda Civic (at M&M especially).
Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

dealer says becaue of the front bumber and turn signal lights thats why.we dont get GTO here???

Quick Reply: What vehicle is in demand?