Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

First 5.3 build, chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow First 5.3 build, chime in!

Hey guys well i bit the bullet, sold some toys and am doing a 5.3/th400 in a
SN95 mustang. I have already purchased a lot of good parts just looking to get some opinions on what the car may make for power (new to the Ls stuff, but its awesome!) Anyways so far heres the run down.

2003 5.3 truck motor with 100k. The engien has 862 heads which i plan on keeping. I want to see how fast I can go with the stock rotator/heads. The heads have been stripped, hot tanked and gasket matched. Im using brand new comp 918 beehives for springs. I will be using gmpp mls gaskets and i already have headstuds i plan on using as well.

The camshaft is a gmpp ASA camshaft
.525"/.525" (ehh, kinda low :/
226°/236° @.050
286°/300° Advertised
110 LSA (mmmm choppy

I got this cam for a STEAL. So thats one of the reasons Im using it. Yes i know there are better....I have done many customs cams in the past and feel that the broad torque range on this cam will be great for the street. I dont want to rev this motor to the moon so the fact it runs out around 6800 will be perfect. This is a 100% street car, yes I will beat the **** out of it but the only way its going to the track is when i put it on kill with a 200 after my lq9 is done.

Im using the MSD 6010 ignition kit with edelbrock Vic Jr. Carb manifold. The carb is a Mighty Demon 750 with a lot of nice billet tricks. The transmission is a nice th400 I have and plan to use around a 34-3800 stall by FTI. (local guys, nice stuff)

Looking to get some opinions on my build so far. Not looking to make gobs of horsepower, this is my first motor and im learning the ropes. I have right at 1600.00 into the complete motor, with all the above parts mentioned (aside from car/tranny). VERY budget minded project.

The question I have is it worth it to spend the money on 1.8 rockers to increase the cam lift? the duration is nice as well as the Lsa but the lift is low. Im debating on if i should spend the money or not... Also will my carb be enough to adequatly power this setup? Ive done alot of reading and have seen almost everyone reccomends 750s so thats what I bought as a starting point. This motor will be on Nitrous AFTER its compltely tuned on motor and all the bugs are worked out. Shooting for 380-390 hp, lmk what you guys think! Any comments or concerns are welcome, Hopefully i will have pics of the project posted in a few days! Thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Forgot to mention! The exhaust will consist of 351w fox swap LS flanged 1 7/8 longtubes to a custom 3'' off road x pipe to a single chambered style mufflers. This shouldnt be too restrictive unless you guys think 3.5 would be better?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Should run pretty good. Just will not have that torque of a larger engine.

The edelbrock cam in my aluminum 5.3 is only .540 lift, so of you are looking for every horse, donkey and mule out of it, a 1.8 rocker setup isn't worth it.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Launching!

thanks for the input Zone, yeah im thinking the money could be better spent elsewhere. I defiantly want to mill the heads to bring the compression up but i need to check the PTV before i do that. Any idea how much can usually come off the 5.3 heads safely?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Teching In

I'm sure a reputable machine shop wouldn't take off more than you can but never hurts to look it up. Just wanted to chime in and say good luck on your build! I'm Doing the exact same build just in a foxbody notch and with a t56!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Serioussn95
Forgot to mention! The exhaust will consist of 351w fox swap LS flanged 1 7/8 longtubes to a custom 3'' off road x pipe to a single chambered style mufflers. This shouldnt be too restrictive unless you guys think 3.5 would be better?
I'm fixing to drop my motor in today I have some jba ceramic shorty headers I got for free from my bro I hope they fit what do you think? There of a 5.3 sierra
Old 02-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Just a little update guys... I completely disassembled the heads and had them hot tanked. I cleaned all the valves up, installed new valve seals and put in the Comp beehive 26915 springs. After to speaking to a good friend who is a huge LS builder he said I would have no PTV issues by taking off .030 the heads. I must say after being redone these heads look nice! I did not do any porting bc i really dont want to have mega time invested in the heads. Im going to use Gmpp mls headgaskets and Alpiermotorsports head studs that Denmah (turbo guy) has recommended. I need to check the pushrod heigth to see what pushrods i need. Hopefully after the heads are on i can slap on the edelbrock vic jr intake and my mighty demon 750! stoked to have this thing almost going!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:23 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The Chinese head studs off eBay work for me and I'm not doing anything like the junkyard turbo guys do that use the same studs. 40$ a set.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Launching!

zone, would you mind telling me how you installed them and what torqe specs? mine came with no diirections. I have arp moly lube to use with them as well.

Quick Reply: First 5.3 build, chime in!