Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

need quick carb tune tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default need quick carb tune tips

I drove the s10 about 250 miles over the weekend. it has an extremely lean spot at 2k rpm with the converter locked. like 17 AFR and the engine starts to miss. it clears up by 2300 rpm. what do I need to do to clean this spot up?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

If this lean condition happens under a bit of a load, go 1 number higher on the power valve and try it again.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forced mine to have a lean condition while I was learning the carb tuning of individual parts. I think it went way lean at the transiting between idle and main circuits at right around 2k on my combo. It turned out that was a direct result from me changing the high speed air bleeds to too large. Not sayin that's your fix as I was WAY large on the size to get a direct reflection of what it changes. I'm just sayin that had a effect on that rpm range and a lean condition.

The power valve is a good thinking too if it's doin it only under a load and not cruising or slightly accelerating. Right?
Old 06-22-2014, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it does it while cruising then go a size or two smaller on the idle air bleeds.

2K is right around the point where it transitions from the idle to the main circuits.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If it does it while cruising then go a size or two smaller on the idle air bleeds.

2K is right around the point where it transitions from the idle to the main circuits.
I could have been wrong on the bleeds I changed. But that's what I experienced when I went too large
Old 06-26-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 89gmcs15
I forced mine to have a lean condition while I was learning the carb tuning of individual parts. I think it went way lean at the transiting between idle and main circuits at right around 2k on my combo. It turned out that was a direct result from me changing the high speed air bleeds to too large. Not sayin that's your fix as I was WAY large on the size to get a direct reflection of what it changes. I'm just sayin that had a effect on that rpm range and a lean condition.

The power valve is a good thinking too if it's doin it only under a load and not cruising or slightly accelerating. Right?
unless you consider my converter locking a load. i have my converter locking at 50mph. once the converter locks at 50, the rpm drops right at 2k rpm. if i hold the throttle steady and just cruise that 2k rpm, the truck will start to hickup from being lean. if i slowly speed up it richens up by 2,300 rpm.

so the high speed bleed is the consensus. i may just get a full bleed kit to add to my carb tuning arsenal. at this point i only have a holley jet kit.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

i also have an extreme rich condition at throttle tip in from a stop. would the high speed bleed also help this? i think the extreme rich condition comes from the transition slot opening. how do i slow down the fuel fed to that transition slot?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 89gmcs15
I could have been wrong on the bleeds I changed. But that's what I experienced when I went too large
You were talking about the high speed bleeds. I said to adjust the idle bleed. Larger bleeds should lean out the circuit at the top of it's range.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok, so my plan at this point is to reduce the idle feed restrictor to try and get rid of this huge rich spot off idle when the transition slot comes in. then reduce the high speed bleed to try and get rid of this 2k rpm lean spot. sound about right?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

The air bleeds even out the mixture for a given circuit. Bigger bleeds, leaner mixture at the top of the band for that circuit. They can also affect when the carb transitions from one circuit to the other.

Reduce the IFR and you will lean out the mixture just off idle. You will also make the carb increasingly lean as it approaches the transition from the idle to the main circuit. If you then reduce the high speed bleed, you might move the main circuit down so it comes into play before 2K, but my guess is you will just start running rich at high RPM.

And my guess is you will just make your lean hole before 2K worse.

Quick Reply: need quick carb tune tips