Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

No fuel pressure while running Holley red

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel pressure while running Holley red

So I have about 4.5 psi with the key on but as soon as I crank the engine over, the pump runs, but I have 0 psi fuel pressure... not to say there isn't fuel, because it will run and drive... but there isn't enough pressure to even light up the gauge. It definitely won't idle past a minute without getting on the throttle.

I've replaced the pre pump filter with a 100 micron and replaced the pre carb filter with a general paper filter. There aren't any blockages in the lines that I can find.

I'm wondering if this is a pump problem or some weird thing that I'm overlooking on my eddy 1406? Any comments are appreciated.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

What happens when you get into the throttle? If the car will accelerate briskly, but the gauge reads "0", then I would suspect bad gauge. Is the gauge mechanical or electric? Is it liquid filled?
Old 06-28-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First start or has it been running awhile?

Did you cut the old filters open and check for debris?

Sometimes there is a screen at the pump inlet. check that for junk. Some pumps you can take apart and check for internal junk/damage. Probably a last resort check.

Got a good vent on the tank? Try running with the cap off.

Got good power and grounds to the pump? Can you check the voltage when running?

You can do a fuel flow check on just the pump. Pull it off and time how long it takes to pump a bucket of liquid.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Ive also had pumps suck air from the inlet fitting, but not leak. Usually when that happens you can hear it cavitating (pumping air). Hope this helps, good luck, Eric L
Old 06-28-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Never had any luck with holley pumps. Went Aeromotive and never looked back.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by speedtigger
What happens when you get into the throttle? If the car will accelerate briskly, but the gauge reads "0", then I would suspect bad gauge. Is the gauge mechanical or electric? Is it liquid filled?
If it was a bad gauge, and that is still a possibility, why would it constantly die? Its a liquid filled Jegs gauge and I know there are bad stories about that specific gauge, but I don't think that is the problem as of yet. Gauge reads 0 under acceleration.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
First start or has it been running awhile?

Did you cut the old filters open and check for debris?

Sometimes there is a screen at the pump inlet. check that for junk. Some pumps you can take apart and check for internal junk/damage. Probably a last resort check.

Got a good vent on the tank? Try running with the cap off.

Got good power and grounds to the pump? Can you check the voltage when running?

You can do a fuel flow check on just the pump. Pull it off and time how long it takes to pump a bucket of liquid.
I've had this combo running before, def not first start.

I chucked the old filters, the clear one looked fine other than some old gas and the metal one, pre filter, ran pretty well through when I was taking it off.

Started and ran with cap off, same problem.

Power is good, running a relay and breaker on the pump.

I think my next plan is to take the pump apart and make sure the rotor and vanes aren't all sticky. Going to clean the check valve too.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Prorac1
Ive also had pumps suck air from the inlet fitting, but not leak. Usually when that happens you can hear it cavitating (pumping air). Hope this helps, good luck, Eric L
Good suggestion. I think that was happening before I replaced the prefilter actually. The pump sounds quieter now with a new filter on it. That makes me think the pump is gunked up because of the poor fuel quality over time.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Issue fixed...

totally my fault. Checked volts during eng run, 0 V. I had wired my relays ignition on source through the original auto alt exciter wire. So, everything ran when i turned the key, but shut off after the engine started.

However, i did disassemble my pump and cleaned it. It was a little gunky and it is also way quieter than before. I think i unstuck some vanes in there even though it wasn't my problem.

Moral of the story, check everything regardless if you think you know what the problem is... and don't let your car sit with **** gas in it.

Quick Reply: No fuel pressure while running Holley red