Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Cons of owning a 98-02 camaro- Thinking of selling my 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cons of owning a 98-02 camaro- Thinking of selling my 3rd gen

I currently have a very nice 91 Z28. I had planned to do an Cam/heads LSX/T56 swap along with many other suspension parts.

However I have decided to just sell it and get something else.

So I have decided on a Ls1/T56 98-02 TTop camaro.

My questions are:

How are the squeaks and rattles?

Do these tops normally leak? If so is it an easy fix?

Wind noise.... At 80mph My thirdgen sounds like I am flying a dual propeller plane. Are 4th gen TTop cars prone to excessive wind noise?

Is the fourth gen a better built car?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Man
I currently have a very nice 91 Z28. I had planned to do an Cam/heads LSX/T56 swap along with many other suspension parts.

My questions are:

How are the squeaks and rattles?

Do these tops normally leak? If so is it an easy fix?

Wind noise.... At 80mph My thirdgen sounds like I am flying a dual propeller plane. Are 4th gen TTop cars prone to excessive wind noise?

Your best bet is to go drive one yourself to decide if thats the car you want.
Ive been in a couple third gens, a Camaro in poor condition and a trans am with an LS1/t56 swap, and "pro-touring" type of setup.
IMO the 4th gens are way better built (although still lacking, definitely has the cheap 90s GM interior plastics).
Squeaks and rattles will depend on the condition of the car and suspension. One major fix will be getting better shocks (bilsteins or konis for example) as the stock decarbon shocks are **** poor with 0 miles right off the show room floor. The poor dampening allows for any vibrations and road imperfections to jolt the chassis. The above shocks will have the car feel more BMW-like.
The T-tops do not normally leak (if you put a pressure washer to the seal it will leak though). If they do leak then the weather stripping likely just needs to be replaced.
Wind noise is pretty minimal IMO for a t-top car, any wind noise heard could be more contributed to how well the windows are sealed to the weather stripping and how there is a lack of sound deadening material in these cars compared to regular non-sporty cars.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering you're comparing a 20+ year old car with a 10+ year old car... I'd just keep the third gen and do your LSX swap. At this point in time, a clean third gen is more desirable than a belly-button 4th gen.

If it matters, I plan on selling mine in a few years to embark on a LSX third gen project.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never been in a 3rd gen really but I don't find the t-tops to produce a ton of noise at freeway speeds.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSX Man

My questions are:

How are the squeaks and rattles? not as bad as 3rd gens, great with SFCs and good shocks

Do these tops normally leak? If so is it an easy fix? no, not unless under a pressure washer or auto car wash, or damaged.

Wind noise.... At 80mph My thirdgen sounds like I am flying a dual propeller plane. Are 4th gen TTop cars prone to excessive wind noise? much better than the 3rd gens.....my 94 is pretty darn quiet wind wise right up to 95-100mph.

Yes, but still not perfect

with all that being said, i still love clean 3rd gens, ive had three, and i was actually shopping for number 4 when i came across my z28. no regrets with it, its been a much more fun car.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I went from a 3rd gen ('89 Formula 350) directly to a 4th gen ('99 Z28) in July of 1999. I can't draw direct comparasions from that moment, since at the time my Z28 was brand new and the 3rd gen had 10 years and about 110k miles on it. For that reason, any direct comparasion of those two wouldn't really be fair.

But looking back, the '02 Z28 that I have today is now about the same age and mileage as my '89 Formula was when I sold it. So with that in mind, I'll try to compare those two.

My 3rd gen was a hard top, but I know that some people had significant issues with leaking t-tops on those cars. I've had four 4th gens, all with t-tops, and none have ever leaked unless direct pressure (from a high pressure car wash type hose) was applied to the seals. Just rain and hand washing has never been a problem.

The 3rd gen had a lot more squeaks and rattles as it aged. Many people complain about this with the 4th gens, but none of mine have ever had any significant interior squeaks or rattles.

Now at similar age and mileage, the steering/suspension/chassis feels tighter on my '02 now than it did on my '89 back then, from what I recall. The '89 did feel much better after the front end was rebuilt, and I installed SFCs and new shocks all-around. The '02 still has all it's stock stuff and isn't nearly as sloppy as what I remember the '89 being with it's stock stuff.

Brakes are much better on the 4th gens. Really nothing else to be said there.

Stock paint was much better on the 4th gens.

My 4th gens have been much more mechanically reliable than my 3rd gen, but I bought that 3rd gen used with an unknown history, so it might have been the product of abuse/neglect rather than any real fault of the car.

The big advantage to a 3rd gen is engine bay space; it's not half way into the interior, so accessing things is much easier. You could even do a carb'ed LS swap, if that was your thing, since there is plenty of room for the intake/carb combo. Really there is space to do just about anything you want.

Lastly, I'd like to state that I still really like nice, clean examples of 3rd gens. But I prefer my 4th gens, and don't ever see myself selling one to get back to a 3rd gen. I guess it's not out of the question though, just unlikely.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

stick with thr 3rd gen, i went from an 85 that was cherry to my 99 formula . I wish i had just bought the ls swap and t56 stuff and put it into that .

Its so nice and unique to see a nice third gen . Spend some money on some nice suspension pieces and really make the car handle. Stick with the 3rd gen .
Old 11-02-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally like 4th gens better. I don't have any squeaks or rattles not do I have leaks. However, I think the LSX swap would be cooler than a 4th gen Camaro. But this is coming from a Camaro owner who prefers WS6 T/A's.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
stick with thr 3rd gen, i went from an 85 that was cherry to my 99 formula . I wish i had just bought the ls swap and t56 stuff and put it into that .

Its so nice and unique to see a nice third gen . Spend some money on some nice suspension pieces and really make the car handle. Stick with the 3rd gen .
did you have that red 85 with the boyds??? if so that thing was freakin amazing and i can see why you wished you kept it... pretty sure i bought the white 89 firebird from your dad a few years ago, if this is indeed you.

was this your drop dead gorgeous 85? i LOVE that car...that thing is sex on wheels, lol...

if so than im sure you remember this car?

anyways, to the OP, if your third gen is a clean low mile mint car, id probably lsx it, otherwise id go 4th gen.

Last edited by ZEEYAL8R; 11-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

yeah that was my trans am , and thats awesome . do you still have the firebird ??are you on facvebook or anything and do you live local ??
Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
yeah that was my trans am , and thats awesome . do you still have the firebird ??are you on facvebook or anything and do you live local ??
PM sent
Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LetsRide
I personally like 4th gens better. I don't have any squeaks or rattles not do I have leaks. However, I think the LSX swap would be cooler than a 4th gen Camaro. But this is coming from a Camaro owner who prefers WS6 T/A's.
+1, not a fan of the 4th gen either
Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Ive had both and honestly enjoyed my 91 firebird better.
They have the exact same rear suspension setup so ride wasnt that different after freshening up the suspension. Engine bay room was awesome when work had to be done. I had pulling the engine down to a science could get it off the mounts and out of the car in just over an hour. Parts on a 3rd gen are also a lot cheaper and very easy to find online or in junk yards.
Currently I have a 98 camaro and love the ls1 this motor in my firebird would have been the best of both worlds. If you have the choice Id vote 3rd gen with a transplant.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Ive had both and honestly enjoyed my 91 firebird better.
They have the exact same rear suspension setup so ride wasnt that different after freshening up the suspension. Engine bay room was awesome when work had to be done. I had pulling the engine down to a science could get it off the mounts and out of the car in just over an hour. Parts on a 3rd gen are also a lot cheaper and very easy to find online or in junk yards.
Currently I have a 98 camaro and love the ls1 this motor in my firebird would have been the best of both worlds. If you have the choice Id vote 3rd gen with a transplant.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:49 AM
Teching In

I just. Sold my 92 Z T top. I loved that car! Bought a 99 SS convertible 6 speed with only 18,000 miles. I am not a true fan of this body style but this car is a far better automobile then my 92Z was. As for road noise I never thought highway speed with the tops off was excessive, let's face it it's an open top car if you want quite get a coupe. My 92 did have rattles and squeaks I chocked that up to being sprung hard for handling and after 20 plus years of banging over New England roads she got a little loose. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by old school 1fp67
I just. Sold my 92 Z T top. I loved that car! Bought a 99 SS convertible 6 speed with only 18,000 miles. I am not a true fan of this body style but this car is a far better automobile then my 92Z was. As for road noise I never thought highway speed with the tops off was excessive, let's face it it's an open top car if you want quite get a coupe. My 92 did have rattles and squeaks I chocked that up to being sprung hard for handling and after 20 plus years of banging over New England roads she got a little loose. Hope this helps.
agreed

and on the bold, dont they all do that? -wink-
Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I've got an 89 Iroc coupe and a 98 Formula T-top. The 4th gen is the better car without question. the 4th gen is quieter inside on both squeaks and wind noise. My t-top leaks a little bit, but it's where the window seals to the top, not the top itself. As for build quality, I also give that one to the 4th gen.

The 3rd gen is way easier to work on.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies!

After reading the replies and test driving a couple of 4th gens, It seems like my opinion was right for the most part. The 98-02 is definitely a better built car compared to the 3rdgen. However, aside from performance, it is not a night and day difference.

With that said, I took a while to sit back and make a decision on what to do. I have decided to just build the 3rd gen. So I will start with the little things such as squeaks, rattles and so on first. Then once I feel like that is up to par with my standards, I will then do the LSX/T56 swap. The car already has a pretty good suspension setup.

Also, I took an entire day to adjust my windows, doors and ttops. Doing that eliminated pretty much all of the wind noise as well as my water leaks.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

own both... i do
Old 12-07-2013, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a couple pics of my clean 3rd gen, July '13
Original Owner

Quick Reply: Cons of owning a 98-02 camaro- Thinking of selling my 3rd gen