Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro

Figured I will post up a slow process build of my catfish to possibly entertain someone on here.

Bought this 2002 Camaro z28 m6 bone stock, except for a shitty muffler, SLP shifter ****, and some C5 wheels. It had 114k on the clock and I was the 3rd owner. It needed a tune up pretty badly, tires we shot all around, brakes were worn like a ****, one cat was gutted, and both front speakers were blown.

Here she is when i got her home:

First thing i did to it was smoke the tails and Whistler mod to the headlights (just made the housing black)

Next on the list was to open the exhaust up and let her breath a little better. So in came the Pacesetter LT's, MSD wires, tr55 plugs, custom x-pipe, race bullets dumped at the rear axle, and a SLP lid. Also did the oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid, and changed the motor mounts to poly mounts since ill be in there.

New meats for the rear. Nitto NT555's 285/40/18

After i sold my dirt bike i had some extra cash to play with. I was throwing around the idea of throwing a nice size snail at it, a d1sc, or just going all motor with a nice came and a 200 shot... Well i decided to do a nice bump stick with some giggle gas. Went ahead and purchased a VRX5 cam kit from Vengeance Racing. Came with the VRX5 cam (236/238, .601/.605, @ 113), 7.4 hardened push rods, and .660 dual valve springs/steel retainers. Also put in a new Melling high volume oil pump, Ls2 timing chain, and Comp Cams trunion upgrade.

While i was waiting for these to come in, I also purchased a ported FAST 102 intake mani, Nick Williams 102 TB, FAST fuel rail kit, Racetronix fuel pump, and new head gaskets. Once these came in i took off the heads to have them cleaned up because they were pretty damn dirty.

Only thing is the head gaskets never made it to my house until the day before i left to come here. So right now she is sitting in my garage with the heads off. I am just going to keep it the way it is and have a little build on the side.

I purchased a good, used LQ4 block that will be waiting for my return to the states (in Feb). I will be doing a 88mm T6 408 build. While doing odds and ends on the motor build, I will be doing suspension/wheels and tires/drive line.

Here is an idle clip of the first start up after installing the cam
Old 11-03-2014, 09:19 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quite a change from when you picked it up!

Is it just me, or does someone like silver cars?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm diggin it! I like the color and the plans. On a side note, I'm pretty raw when it come to cams, but how would a cam like run on the street as a DD? Seams like a HELL of a lot of lift.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Nice car and build. Stay safe overseas!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Quite a change from when you picked it up!

Is it just me, or does someone like silver cars?
Thank you. My mind constantly changes on what I want to do so I just bite the bullet to get a path started.

Yeah, the truck is also mine. the Evo is my roommates, haha.

Originally Posted by mthomsen224
I'm diggin it! I like the color and the plans. On a side note, I'm pretty raw when it come to cams, but how would a cam like run on the street as a DD? Seams like a HELL of a lot of lift.
For the little bit that i drove it before pulling the heads it drove fine. yeah, it surged down low but it wasn't that bad to me at all.

Originally Posted by newchevyman
Nice car and build. Stay safe overseas!
Thanks brother. I'm only over here in Japan though, so, it could be worse. Don't make as much money over here though.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Not much of an update.
I have a set of BMR springs, BMR LCA relocation brackets, Spohn panhard bar, and Comp Eng 3-ways waiting for me when i get back here in 3-4 weeks.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Might be a stupid question, but did you look at taking the car to Japan with you? I was under the impression that the military would move your car for you (but I probably misunderstood) It would be pretty sick to have a monster LS1 somewhere they aren't common.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Might be a stupid question, but did you look at taking the car to Japan with you? I was under the impression that the military would move your car for you (but I probably misunderstood) It would be pretty sick to have a monster LS1 somewhere they aren't common.
I'm only "deployed" (TDY) here to Japan. I'm heading back to GA in about 3-4 weeks.

I am sure you could bring one over. I did see a 98-02 z28 here on base back in October and I do see a couple vette's running around. As long as the car can pass the JCI, it should be good to go. My car, however, would not since I do not have any cats. I am sure there is more to it, but that is all I know.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Finished up the rear suspension. Added on BMR springs, Comp Engineering 3-way drag shocks, BMR LCA relocation brackets, BMR LCA's, Spohn panhard bar. Just have to adjust the panhard and wait to lower the car to tighten up the hardware on the bushings. Going to get the front hopefully done today. BMR springs, KYB struts, and new top mounts.

I also came home to rust on my cylinder walls since i was an idiot and left the heads off for 4 months. I cleaned up two of them and there is no pitting so far. Hopefully will finish the others up by tomorrow and will get the heads put on.

Also picked up my motor to build on the side, picked up an lq4 for 450. It is a bit dirty but it doesnt matter to me. It will be getting fully rebuilt anyways.

That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro-z7jipap.jpg
That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro-5q8uv1j.jpg
That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro-cfgikl9.jpg
That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro-gmgrt28.jpg
That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro-yxwlnu9.jpg

Last edited by that_ef; 02-10-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like it's coming along very fast!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Launching!

front shocks/struts and new mount installed.

That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro-m5lxmhe.jpg
Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Default Moving along

Looks good in silver.

If there are any R33's on base..mind bringing one back with you? I'll toss you an extra $50, lol
Old 02-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JustinEntropyRad
Looks good in silver.

If there are any R33's on base..mind bringing one back with you? I'll toss you an extra $50, lol
Haha, there were a couple of them running around. Mostly gts-t's though. I'm back in Georgia now though.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Launching!

got all the cylinders cleaned up, heads torqued down, and test fitting the intake. just have to hook everything up, bolt intake down, put the comp cams trunion upgrade together with the rockers and little things here and there.

That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro-zi0pepg.jpg
That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro-nwrglvj.jpg
Old 03-03-2015, 03:09 AM
Launching!

Suspension is all tightened up, panhard bar is adjusted, so close to being done. Just needs PCV lines, fuel line, coolant and some little things moved around. Hoping to fire her up later in the week.
Attached Thumbnails That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro-bay2.jpg  

Quick Reply: That_ef's slow build of the slowmaro