Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Strange humming/whining

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange humming/whining

So I recently bought a 96 Camaro, base model 3800 Series II, 5-speed Manual, and I hear this insanely annoying hum coming from the rear, and I've read all the other posts but my problem seems to be a little different, when I turn my car on the hum starts, before even touching the gas it starts. It gets somewhat quieter as I drive but maybe its just dulled out by the noise of the road and such. Anyways, I let it sit for a while when it gets extremley annoying and eventually its just a quiet high pitched hum again. Today, however, it got so loud that I could hear it from outside the car. It has a coolant leak, if that means anything. anybody got any advice or how urgent this is? Just dont want to take it to chevy and have them list of BS.

Last edited by NikolaCop; 12-10-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Teching In

bump.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Launching!

I would first crawl under it and check to see if anything is loose. Check the exhaust hangers and make sure they are not worn. I had the passenger side rear exhaust hanger worn on mine and it would make all kinds of noise. Also check the torque arm bolts at the rear differential (two bolts that are on bottom of rear diff.) If they are loose they can make lots of noises too. Basically I would crawl under it w a set of wrenches and check all of the bolts/nuts that I could to make sure everything was tight
Old 12-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Teching In

maybe gear whine? does it sound like a freight train when you accelerate and decelerate?
Old 12-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Teching In

It sort of does when I accelerate, but when I deccelerate it usually sounds no different from any other car other than the humming, which gets louder. Also, I've been teaching my girlfriend how to drive the manual and the hum gets quieter when the lights start to dim before the car stalls, if that means anything. (teaching her biting point and what not lol)
Old 12-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Took it to a local shop to see what it was, its the fuel pump. Anybody know where I can find a factory one? Or a quality aftermarket one that is quiet? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Triple post but went to the local chevy, they wanted $520 just to install the fuel pump. Anybody know if thats about average or way to much?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Teching In

I think that's a fair price, there is no direct access to the fuel pump. Either the entire gas tank has to be dropped from the body (don't know if this can be done easily) or a hole has to be cut in the metal above the tank, located in the trunk of the car. There's lots of info on how to do it. Chuck Fasst on youtube has an awesome series of 4th gen fbody repair guides. Either way it is not an easy job. So my opinion, I'd say have the mechanic take care of fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Strange humming/whining