Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

4th Gen Camaro/Firebird ASR delete FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird ASR delete FINALLY!

Hello folks, I've been coming here for knowledge for a while and I actually have something useful to throw in!

I have found a way to keep the ASR unit plugged in, still on, and "Low trac" still pops up, but I'm blowing tires off rims without my foot being rejected!

The mod is so simple and as soon as you get far enough, you may even feel stupid for never looking, I did.

WHY THIS WORKS: The ASR unit has a cam-like gear that is geared for high torque. the center of this gear is hollow, and in this hollowed space lies a **** that sticks down from the main cable wheel and swings it back around. If this **** were to say, be gone, the high torque cam will still swing and hit its destination stop without interfering with the cable wheel, thus still creating its electrical load to keep from a system fault.

STEP 1: unhook and remove cables; unplug unit and remove from car.

STEP 2: remove two 10mm nuts and remove bracket from ASR unit.

STEP 3: Remove two torx (cannot remember size, sorry) from back of ASR unit located under cable slots.

STEP 4: Remove clip holding wheels onto the shaft. Use a bent pick to get under a few fingers to slide it off. After this you can remove plastic cable wheel and main cable wheel from the rest of the unit.

!!Mark upright position of cable wheels to ensure you know for the next step!!

STEP 5: You will now be looking at the main, alulimum cable wheel. this wheel has a top and bottom "****". We will now be removing the BOTTOM ****. I used a small sawzaw bladed handsaw to do this, file afterwards to clean it up a bit.

STEP 5: Thats it! Reassemble the two wheels (bend fingers of clip back down flat before putting it back on!), cable housing and bracket and re-install, plug in, and enjoy not getting your foot raped every time a smidge of slip happens!

I did not take pictures at the time, so if someone NEEDS them, I will pull my unit apart again and take them. otherwise enjoy!!

NOTE: this will keep the ASR unit from ripping your foot off the gas, but without tuning you will still have torque loss from timing reduction built into your PCM. I haven't tossed stock values in to see what its like, but I can assume its a lot better than what you had.

Last edited by crowbarmaster; 05-09-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Forgot that stupid clip.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Default Added pics and PoC

Bump! adding pics and a small Proof of Concept video. Enjoy!

VIDEO:
Old 05-09-2015, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Why not just turn it off with the factory button? I'm not sure that I see the purpose for this, unless you're just trying to avoid having to switch it off every time you start the engine.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why not just turn it off with the factory button? I'm not sure that I see the purpose for this, unless you're just trying to avoid having to switch it off every time you start the engine.
Yep, I hate being a morning guy that forgets that damn switch, also its just over-engineered to begin with when factory PCM settings already retard timing.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

SLP makes a reverse ASR switch so when you flip it, it turns on instead of off

Edit: its for 93-98 only
Old 05-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
SLP makes a reverse ASR switch so when you flip it, it turns on instead of off

Edit: its for 93-98 only
This is true, and I did know about it. But again, we are back to spending money to still have a ASR OFF light. Also I don't want my foot kicked off the petal because a tire was over light gravel, spun an inch, and now I have traffic up my ***.

I haven't gone about it yet, but the PCM as said before has tables for spark timing retard on slip. I expect with some tweaking, i can still end up with ASR that backs off power, without leaving me with nothing and throwing me in a bad spot.

My main goal with this was to lessen the number of times a week i stumble off stop signs because I can't seem to remember that damn SWITCH!
Old 05-09-2015, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just think - ASR was a $450 option new!! If I had ordered one of these cars new, that box would definitely NOT have been checked! Mine has it, but it's just habit now to always turn it off after the car starts. Haven't forgotten yet, as I'm used to seeing the yellow ASR OFF light.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never had ASR "rip my foot off the gas". Seems like just another post of someone defeating a safety feature. Lets hope you never sell this car to someone who is unaware you've done this.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Teching In

I guess after 9 years of ownership It's second nature to start the car and turn off ASR. Hitting the button 10k times is faster than removing the feature all together. Credit for finding a solution though.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tech
Never had ASR "rip my foot off the gas". Seems like just another post of someone defeating a safety feature. Lets hope you never sell this car to someone who is unaware you've done this.
Hmm, seems if it was on for me it would always be enough to take me from 100% to 0% tps rather abruptly. If this has never happened to you then you sir, have a heavier foot than I. This said I've found a sudden decelleration after a small bit of slip to be less than " safe" in poor conditions. Also, without tuning, ASR still hasn't been fully defeated, as the PCM will still pull timing after some slip, just like a lot of other GMs on the road.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Or just unplug it and stick a resistor in the harness to keep the light off.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:46 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or remove the system, get a throttle cable for a non-ASR car, and get a tune.

Nonetheless, I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP explaining his method of disabling the feature. It's a rudimentary system at best.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Or remove the system, get a throttle cable for a non-ASR car, and get a tune.

Nonetheless, I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP explaining his method of disabling the feature. It's a rudimentary system at best.
Thank you sir, I posted this only because, as seen above, all other options come at some sort of cost. Either a trip to pick up a pack of resistors (From the boonies, its gonna guzzle some gas) or ordering cables or a delete box vs nothing but common tools and minor labor. When your saving for a vortec 6.0 and a few parts to slap in it, you tend to save a few bucks when you can.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird ASR delete FINALLY!