Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

01 camaro ss bad vibration under heavy acceleration and weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 camaro ss bad vibration under heavy acceleration and weird noise

Hi I am new to LS1 Tech and I have a problem with my camaro and am looking for some help on narrowing down the issue. My car is a 2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS it has a 408 in it that makes around 500rwhp and 470rwtq. It has a built TH350 3 speed transmission with a TCI 3800 stall converter. The rear in the car is stock and it is the 2nd one I have put in the car. I also have a BMR adjustable torque arm, BMR lower control arms and just put a new panhard bar in because the bushings were wore bad. I know that I need a stronger rear end one but dont want to spend anymore money on the car. My problem is a couple weeks ago I started hearing a weird noise that sounds like a low tire or flat tire noise does. All of my tires are fine. Also when I accelerate hard there is bad violent vibration in the car that goes away if I let off the gas when it starts doing it. I have spoke with several people about the issue and most of them say I could possibly have a bent axle that has caused the outer axle bearings to go bad and wheel bearings to go bad which in turn is what could be causing the noise I am hearing. Im just trying to find someone who has had similar issues and figured out what the problem was. Does anyone think that could be my issue or does anyone have any other suggestions for me to look into? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-25-2016, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TatorChip
Hi I am new to LS1 Tech and I have a problem with my camaro and am looking for some help on narrowing down the issue. My car is a 2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS it has a 408 in it that makes around 500rwhp and 470rwtq. It has a built TH350 3 speed transmission with a TCI 3800 stall converter. The rear in the car is stock and it is the 2nd one I have put in the car. I also have a BMR adjustable torque arm, BMR lower control arms and just put a new panhard bar in because the bushings were wore bad. I know that I need a stronger rear end one but dont want to spend anymore money on the car. My problem is a couple weeks ago I started hearing a weird noise that sounds like a low tire or flat tire noise does. All of my tires are fine. Also when I accelerate hard there is bad violent vibration in the car that goes away if I let off the gas when it starts doing it. I have spoke with several people about the issue and most of them say I could possibly have a bent axle that has caused the outer axle bearings to go bad and wheel bearings to go bad which in turn is what could be causing the noise I am hearing. Im just trying to find someone who has had similar issues and figured out what the problem was. Does anyone think that could be my issue or does anyone have any other suggestions for me to look into? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Id take a look at the pinion angle to make sure nothing has come out of adjustment. My stock one bent and felt like it was shaking the car apart.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Default 01 camaro ss bad vibration under heavy acceleration and weird noise

here is a list of things that i have done to try and fix it and they have had no change on it
have got transmission freshened up, new bearings put in torque converter, pinion angle is set to 0 was at 3, drove with scanner hooked up to check for misfires, went over every bolt, nut, screw and made sure all were tight, wheels have no play when on rack and you move them. the only thing else i think it could be is something broke or messed up in rear end. what do you think? i am going to take cover off chunk in rear end on thursday to see if i see anything in there messed up
Old 12-20-2016, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a frequency gauge. Once you know the frequency of the vibration, you can figure out what part of the car is spinning at that the right speed to be causing it.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Launching!

not saying it will help with yours but when i had a bent axle on my 99 camaro you could see a slight wobble in the wheel. might try getting someone to follow you
Old 12-21-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't forget to check the driveshaft and make sure it's correctly balanced.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

with that kind of power and history I would suspect the rear end getting ready to shyt the bed.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Teching In

pinion angle is set to 0 new steel driveshaft had it out twice to have balance checked is good. transmission freshened up new bearings in torque converter. rear end is not one that came with car the one in car is out of 60k mile camaro that is stock. only thing i can think of it can be is something broke somewhere in rear end but havent had time to check it
Old 01-07-2017, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Since its free, try setting the pinion angle to -1 or -2 and see if that helps any, if it does not then you can at least rule that out.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Teching In

tried setting pinion angle at different angles and no change. it almost has to 100% be something broke in rear end just havent had time to tear into yet

Quick Reply: 01 camaro ss bad vibration under heavy acceleration and weird noise