Sponsored by:

any lawyer members I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any lawyer members I need advice

Hello to all who reads this,

My name Is Sergeant Burns USMC, I just returned from my forth deployment from Iraq. When I returned I met a man via Ebay and through private party I arranged a deal to buy his 2005 ls2 gto motor and tranmission. I own a 68 Camaro and was planning on doing the swap. So I went ahead and mailed the money order to him, paid in full + shipping, which he lives in Texas and I live in Michigan. certified mail at that so i know he recieved the check. He states that the engine was shipped out 2 weeks ago via DHL freight. And yet I still havent recieved the motor to the address i provided him. The thing that I seem is weird is, I still email him almost everyday and he emails me back saying he doesnt understand where the engine is. Today I sent him a email saying by monday if he doesnt produce a tracking number and or I recieve my engine and transmission i will be forced to take legal action on him. What else can I do? Monday morning I quess I plan on finding a local lawyer and seeing what i can do.. any advice? can you belive the guy ?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:56 AM
Launching!

monty,
two weeks doesn't sound unreasonable for the engine to get to you. Give it a few days, then call the guy and have make him give you a tracking #. Crated large stuff sometime takes a bit longer in transit. Be patient. Hopefully it's a honest person you're dealing with. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the guy is still responding promptly, I would tend to believe he is being straight with you. That being said, DHL is the worst freight company on the planet. Friends of mine and members of my car club have lost all kinds of stuff through them then gotten screwed when trying to file claims or reclaim their property.
Get the tracking information and make sure he shipped it out insured. Have him start following up with DHL from his end and you start from your local terminal. Someplace in the middle you will likely find the stuff sitting on a dock.

-Tim
Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are a number of members here from the Texas area, you might consider asking some of them if they can go to the address you sent the check to and see if they can talk to him face to face.
If it was coming out of the Tampa area, I'd offer to go see the guy for you as a fellow member, and a favor to a soldier.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Were in Texas, I live in Houston
Old 10-12-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Having some third party go to someone's house and confront someone about your issue is a good way to get sued. All the guy would have to do is say he felt threatened and whoever showed up at his door would get sued, followed by you for sending him there.

-Tim
Old 10-12-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
Having some third party go to someone's house and confront someone about your issue is a good way to get sued. All the guy would have to do is say he felt threatened and whoever showed up at his door would get sued, followed by you for sending him there.

-Tim
I agree sending someone to the man house could cause trouble but someone may know the person and can tell if the man is legit
Old 10-12-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i would contact DHL yourself-they should be able to see if something from his address was sent-ask DHL if they have any ex military workers, they may be more willing to go the extra mile-good luck, hope it goes down well
Old 10-12-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

People can sue for anything they want. I can file a lawsuit for against someone for anything at all. Whether or not it gets anywhere is a different story.

If someone just goes there and says "Hi I am a friend of Sgt. Burns and he asked me to swing by and find out what the deal is with his engine" That's nothing too crazy.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, explain that to the judge, "I was just being all nice and stuff....". Let me know how it turns out. lol

If someone I didn't know showed up on my door step with questions about something that didn't concern them, the short answer would be to get the **** off my property. If they had a problem with that, the long version involves that person, an ambulance, and me telling the home town cops that I grew up with all about how they got in my face. Guess how that would turn out for Mr Helpful.

-Tim
Old 10-12-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Well... Hopefully not everyone in this country is as much of a dick.
Southern Hospitality vs. New England Attitude.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Well I'd have to say document everything. Write it all down so you don't forget. Who it is,when you sent money,what you sent the money for,what his name is,when he said he shipped it ect. Also contact E-bay security center and let them no whats going on. If you still don't have it next would be taking him to court via lawyer. A few months and you might get your money back. Having someone other than yourself going to his home would be asking for trouble. Even if he lives in a small town. Small town cops can be ********. goodluck
Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by montyafteryou
Hello to all who reads this,

My name Is Sergeant Burns USMC, I just returned from my forth deployment from Iraq. When I returned I met a man via Ebay and through private party I arranged a deal to buy his 2005 ls2 gto motor and tranmission. I own a 68 Camaro and was planning on doing the swap. So I went ahead and mailed the money order to him, paid in full + shipping, which he lives in Texas and I live in Michigan. certified mail at that so i know he recieved the check. He states that the engine was shipped out 2 weeks ago via DHL freight. And yet I still havent recieved the motor to the address i provided him. The thing that I seem is weird is, I still email him almost everyday and he emails me back saying he doesnt understand where the engine is. Today I sent him a email saying by monday if he doesnt produce a tracking number and or I recieve my engine and transmission i will be forced to take legal action on him. What else can I do? Monday morning I quess I plan on finding a local lawyer and seeing what i can do.. any advice? can you belive the guy ?

Is there a reason you did the deal private party and not through ebay?!? if you would have kept it through ebay, they have protection against stuff like this.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the guy is still responding promptly, I would tend to believe he is being straight with you.
I would tend to agree, at least for the next week or so...

That being said, DHL is the worst freight company on the planet. Friends of mine and members of my car club have lost all kinds of stuff through them then gotten screwed when trying to file claims or reclaim their property.
Geez - I don't have any stories like that to tell, but I DO know that DHL's tracking absolutely SUCKS A$$. When I buy from any private party any more, the one thing I ask of them is that they ship the item using anyone but DHL - no kidding.

Get the tracking information and make sure he shipped it out insured. Have him start following up with DHL from his end and you start from your local terminal. Someplace in the middle you will likely find the stuff sitting on a dock.
Well, based on my experience, I'm not sure if you'd be able to tell where the pkg is (all it ever showed for me was something like 'en route' ), but yeah, if both of you continuously follow up, I'll bet you will indeed find it sitting on a dock somewhere...

Best of luck man.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldnt be too worried about the guy tring to shaft you, its a fedaral crime if he rips you off. you have the receipt from the oney order so if he cashs it hes guilty and sending it throught the mail certified, that smail fraud wich makes it a federal offense.

if someone was trying to scam you they would (probably) be smarter than that. like tring to just get a personel check or somthing.

like others said get a tracking number AND call dhl. make a couple calls and you will probably get some info and feel much better.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully it was a Postal Money order. In case you are not aware of this it actually has what I would call better protection than paypal. Why? It is mail fraud because it comes from the Post Office. This means it will be investigated by the FBI. Look for a post somewhere here somebody did some research on both and found this out. If you did mail a postal money order you can call them and they will be knocking on his door. Good for you and scary for rip off guys.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Hopefully it was a Postal Money order. In case you are not aware of this it actually has what I would call better protection than paypal. Why? It is mail fraud because it comes from the Post Office. This means it will be investigated by the FBI. Look for a post somewhere here somebody did some research on both and found this out. If you did mail a postal money order you can call them and they will be knocking on his door. Good for you and scary for rip off guys.

It doesnt matter if is a USPS M/O or not since he sent it certified. Its mail fraud just because of that. I would def give it more time though. Ive had motors take 3+ weeks to get just halfway across the country. If it doesnt show then DHL will have insurance. I wouldnt worry about it too much just yet.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

hello again. yes all emails and everything is documented so i have records of everything.

to first question, 2 weeks for shipping? when he did tell me 5 to 7 business days. but still no tracking numbers

many questions so if i missed any remind me.

i went Private Party because he lowered the price and we were both saving money on the sale.

The Man is from Houston area, but I dont want anyone visiting him unless it was me..

About DHL, I did contact The DHL fright hub which is in Romulus MI, I dont have a tracking number but they did do a search and they stated that there wasnt anything in there system of freght going from Texas to my address here in Michigan. So that kind of rasied a flag. Though on a positive note the lady did say sometimes larger freght items sometimes go through a different system. IDK.

And i do know that i could press criminal felony fraud charges against him. tomorrow im speaking to my lawyer.

hopefully its just a shipping delay and everything just works out. I dont want to get the police involved i just want my engine you know!

Last edited by montyafteryou; 10-12-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear you. Who needs this type of stress on what is suppose to be a fun hobby.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, explain that to the judge, "I was just being all nice and stuff....". Let me know how it turns out. lol

If someone I didn't know showed up on my door step with questions about something that didn't concern them, the short answer would be to get the **** off my property. If they had a problem with that, the long version involves that person, an ambulance, and me telling the home town cops that I grew up with all about how they got in my face. Guess how that would turn out for Mr Helpful.

-Tim
Confrontational much? Nobody is saying the guy should show up holding a bat. Good lord.. If said person showed up in a friendly manner and explained he was just making sure it was legit, I'm sure most people wouldn't have a problem with it. Do you treat all your visitors like that?

Quick Reply: any lawyer members I need advice