Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know who makes this? ( Tramission speedo adapter )

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know who makes this? ( Tramission speedo adapter )

Lo gents, I'm on my way with a Lq4 swap into a ole car.. I'll be using the Turbo-350 that is in the car already but the one issue that i've ran into it feeding a speed sensor into the ECU.

So looking around i found this part:

But i cant seem to find any more information on it,

it plugs into the Transmission or the Cluster and gives a 8 pulse output for an electronic speedo, but also gives a throughput For the wire.

anyone know who makes it? or a part that is similar?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Teching In

1984 - 1985 FWD Chrysler cars (Say a Dodge Daytona) used a in line speed sensor. At 8 pulses per rev.

The one you have here is from an aftermarket cruise kit.

Capt. Chrysler (Chrysler tech 1983-2000)
Old 12-07-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

I thought the computer didn't really need a VSS signal? I am not running one on mine anyways.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt think it would need one unless used for a cruise control or running a 4l60e transmission.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

might not be much help, but Dakota Digital dashes used some adapters like that for their elect speedometers
also Street & Performance i think made some adapters
Hall effect or some kind of siginaling, ??????????
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Jags that run.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
I thought the computer didn't really need a VSS signal? I am not running one on mine anyways.
Really? .... I'm getting told two different things it seems.. I've seen/read/been told that people doing a swap wile keeping the old transmission didn't put any form of a speed sensor in the car, and they seemed to have worked out fine..

But I've also read/been told that if you do NOT hook up a VSS, then You *MAY* have idle issues ( to the point of stalling ), as well as reduced power/fuel economy.

so I'm trying to get this cleared up before i finish up the wiring harness that is all apart and on my floor
Old 12-09-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Well I can certainly say I have idle issues at times and maybe that is the source of my problem but I need to get with my tuner to confirm it is not something else. With an electronic auto I would think you would need the VSS but not with a 700r4 like I am running. Unless of course that is the source of my idling issues.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Have you guys installed the pnp and tcc switches. They both effect idle.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Pnp, tcc?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmIdYfReAk
Pnp, tcc?
I'm assuming it Park / Nuetral swicth and the Tranny convertor clutch swicth. Yes you need a VSS pulse to the PCM / ECM in order for it to take over idle control, when you're stopped. Those pulse generators were used on some F-bodies, when they had computer controlled motors and still had mechanical speedometers. The also used them on the bread style trucks in the mid to late 80's.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had a few swaps with TH350, TH400s. you really need a speed signal of some sort.

I had a 383 LT1, Hotcam TH400, even with a 10" stall, coming to a stop it would want to die all the time.

I now have 89 Caprice, 5.3L Drive By Wire, TH400. before the speed sensor, it would idle down to under 400 coming to stop sign, it died 2-3 times in the month I drove it.

What happens, is when you let off the gas from highway speed, and you start to slow down, the PCM thinks it is supposed to idle, no vehicle speed. It see's the RPM higher because you are still slowing down. If you stop too quickly, the engine can die, because the PCM has commanded the idle controller fully closed trying to bring down the idle. If the PCM saw vehicle speed, it would not be trying to close the idle controler. Also with speed signal, during closed throttle decel, the pcm would then go into DFCO. (Decel Fuel Cut Off) DFCO improves fuel economy.

Another Reason. The long term fuel trims, the computers 'learned' fuel correction over time. There are different cells the computer uses to remember what amount of correction was needed in different rpm/load ranges. I don't believe the PCM will use all these cells if it always thinks the vehicle is sitting still.

As for Park/Neutral. I have never run one. Without it, PCM just thinks i'm in DRIVE all the time. I don't seem to see any issues with it. The idle is maintained just fine from Park-Rev or Neutral-Drive transitions.

As for my speed sensor solution on my 89 caprice, I mounted a 15 tooth trigger wheel on the differential yoke. It bolts in place using the 4 bolts that hold the U Joint in. It's cut in half so I can install it without removing drive shaft. www.jagsthatrun.com sell one for 10 bolt chevy rear ends. They also have other speedo pulse generators.

As for the speed pulse for the PCM, I've used down to 4000 pulse per mile, which is about 1.5 pulse per driveshaft revolution. 15 pulse per drive shaft on my caprice is working fine for drive by wire and cruise.

just my experience with this, others may have had different.

Last edited by busta9876; 12-10-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poconojoe
I'm assuming it Park / Nuetral swicth and the Tranny convertor clutch swicth. Yes you need a VSS pulse to the PCM / ECM in order for it to take over idle control, when you're stopped. Those pulse generators were used on some F-bodies, when they had computer controlled motors and still had mechanical speedometers. The also used them on the bread style trucks in the mid to late 80's.
On some of the GM's they used an optical sensor (my caprice) at the back of the instrument cluster to generate a square wave signal, 4000 or 8000 pulse. problem is the PCM's for LSx's need a SIN wave signal, or alternating current. hall efect, reed switches, will not work, have to be VR or, variable reluctor type.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by busta9876
On some of the GM's they used an optical sensor (my caprice) at the back of the instrument cluster to generate a square wave signal, 4000 or 8000 pulse. problem is the PCM's for LSx's need a SIN wave signal, or alternating current. hall efect, reed switches, will not work, have to be VR or, variable reluctor type.

Yea, I know about them, but felt it was easier to put something on the tranny cable then adapt a dash to fit
Old 12-10-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Alright so if I wanna add a VSS sensor and still use my stock chevelle speedo cable what is my best option?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Shiftworks modifies the tailhousing so you have both.
sorry forum says exceded uploading quota. See post on similar topic w/ picture.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...elocation.html

Last edited by dsrour; 12-10-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, its expensive though, I'm really hoping for some cheaper alternative to pop up..until then no speedo for me
Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

I can't completely believe that just a VSS signal would fix my problem. My biggest issue is putting the car in gear and it dying when I first start it. Seems to be so random though. It does it when the engine is hot or cold but never consistantly. I would think the PCM needs some way to know when you put the car in gear. Also, I don't know if this changes anything but I am running a 700r4 tranny.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

I can't completely believe that just a VSS signal would fix my problem. My biggest issue is putting the car in gear and it dying when I first start it. Seems to be so random though. It does it when the engine is hot or cold but never consistantly. I would think the PCM needs some way to know when you put the car in gear. Also, I don't know if this changes anything but I am running a 700r4 tranny.
You need to install a park / neutral switch and get a VSS signal to the PCM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Alright so if I wanna add a VSS sensor and still use my stock chevelle speedo cable what is my best option?
The ones shouwn in the original post, as long as you have enough room to install it. I've installed them on the cruise control box already, when there wasn't enough room in the tranny tunnel. They use to cost around $60 from the dealer, but they were also plentiful in the junkyard, but I don't think they've used them in about 15 or 20 years now. The last one I got from the yard came from a police car with a dash mounted calibrated speedometer in it. A lot of aftermarket gauge packages use them for their electronic speedometers

Quick Reply: Anyone know who makes this? ( Tramission speedo adapter )