Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVAP System Without Pressure Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EVAP System Without Pressure Sensor

I am trying to figure out a way to utilize a more basic EVAP system for my Jeep TJ LS swap. Am I able to run the EVAP system without the use of a gas tank pressure sensor? Is the sensor only there to make sure its not leaking or does it have something to do with activating the purge and vent solenoids?

The TJ does not have any port for the sensor so ideally if I can avoid using it and still have a somewhat functioning system. I do not live in a emissions check state so I am not worried about having it 100% functional as if its still on the truck, just want to keep fumes down when driving no doors no top.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

How is the tank vented? I don't see any reason why you couldn't run a charcoal canister from a 70's 80's vehicle and connect your tank to the inlet side and connect the outlet side to the intake manifold to send the fumes thru the engine. I think Michael Yount? uses something like that on his LS3 Volvo if i recall correctly. Try and find his build thread on here or try contacting him through PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
How is the tank vented? I don't see any reason why you couldn't run a charcoal canister from a 70's 80's vehicle and connect your tank to the inlet side and connect the outlet side to the intake manifold to send the fumes thru the engine. I think Michael Yount? uses something like that on his LS3 Volvo if i recall correctly. Try and find his build thread on here or try contacting him through PM.
it has 2 vent ports on the side and a line that goes along the frame to a charcoal canister in the fender. The stock Jeep setup pressurizes the charcoal canister not the gas tank and thats how it checks for leaks. I do not want to try and get that to function like a Jeep, just adds more complications trying to have the Jeep PCM run something on a GM engine. From there it goes to the purge valve. So the hardware is mostly there so that makes retaining the EVAP feasible.

Talking with one of the facebook groups I supposedly could hook it up as if it were in a Silverado and just omit the pressure sensor and tune out the CEL for it, but the purge and vent will still work.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Sensor not used for evap control just emissions leak check. You could run like factory as mentioned in fb group with pressure delete. If you wanted tank pressure mgt, tee into a tank vent line assuming tank connection does not include check valve.

Last edited by tblentrprz; 02-27-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

I researched it a number of years ago and ultimately decided it was beyond the scope of the course. So PSI Conversions turned off the related (purge valve) functions in the ecu they set up for me. And as mentioned above, I plumbed the charcoal canister into the air inlet tube upstream of the maf sensor. Beta test going on 5 years without a hiccup.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Yount:
G Atsma (02-27-2021), Project GatTagO (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
I researched it a number of years ago and ultimately decided it was beyond the scope of the course. So PSI Conversions turned off the related (purge valve) functions in the ecu they set up for me. And as mentioned above, I plumbed the charcoal canister into the air inlet tube upstream of the maf sensor. Beta test going on 5 years without a hiccup.
Can you elaborate more? Is there are purge solenoid or does the charcoal canister get constantly vented? Is your gas cam sealed or venter?

Andrew
Old 02-27-2021, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

"So PSI Conversions turned off the related (purge valve) functions...." They turned off that function and I removed the valve and capped the connection. Where the charcoal canister previously connected to the purge valve -- I simply relocated that hose to a barbed nipple installed in the air inlet pipe upstream of the maf - so that anything pulled from the canister gets metered.

"Is your gas cam sealed or venter?" Hmmm....autotype I guess -- assume that means 'is your gas cap or tank sealed or vented'? All tanks are vented in some manner -- or the constant removal of fuel would eventually crush/buckle the tank. There is a vent in my filler neck that's designed to help keep the gas dispenser from overfilling the tank. The tank is also vented through the charcoal canister. Last - the gas cap will both let air in and pressure out if it exceeds the light spring in the venting mechanism.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe we can chat by phone sometime Andrew......I'm gonna wanna pick your brain about the best approach to bring contemporary EFI/Ignition to my little/old Toyota "hemi".....
The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (02-28-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 141 Posts

Andrew and I have been discussing this very topic concerning my LS swapped Foxbody coupe. I've got the entire OEM Ford EVAP system out of my donor car (1991 Mustang GT) but we're trying to figure out how to make the Holley Dominator control it.
Project GatTagO (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Maybe we can chat by phone sometime Andrew......I'm gonna wanna pick your brain about the best approach to bring contemporary EFI/Ignition to my little/old Toyota "hemi".....
Sure thing. You have my number.

Andrew
Old 02-28-2021, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

please post solutions after "talking" on a phone call. Many are interested in this question!
G Atsma (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Thealien
please post solutions after "talking" on a phone call. Many are interested in this question!
About EFI for his Toyota?

Andrew
Old 02-28-2021, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
About EFI for his Toyota?

Andrew
I thought the discussion was about the EVAP function? Sorry if I misunderstood!

Quick Reply: EVAP System Without Pressure Sensor