Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump

Guys.
I have read through many threads on this subject without any real definitive answers. I have fitted a LS1 to a 68 El Camino and have tried to use the Saginaw box with the LS1 pump. Questions are:
Does this pump make too much pressure for this original 68 steering box?
If it doesnt cause the seals to leak will the steering be excessively light?
Does anybody make a pump that will mate with the LS1 serpentine belt system?
Have I any alternatives?
Thanks for your help KEV
Old 01-06-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I just used the ls1 pump, it's worked for years with no problem. Dosen't seem to be too light feeling, if any thing it's not got as much assist as it had originally. It is starting to seep these days, but I think that's due to mileage, because it just started.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a couple friends with LS conversions using LS1 and LS2 pumps with early Saginaw steering boxes, they report no problems with pressure or volume and the drivability is just fine. These are a 1967 half ton truck and a 1977 full size Blazer....about the same as your El Camino.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Launching!

It should be fine. The Saginaw P and TC pumps put out right around the same amount of pressure and flow. The P style will last longer with hot oil than the TC will. The P pump is more forgiving than the TC style when it comes to heat...

Seeing how I work with Jeeps with ~40" tires and hydro assist/full hydro steering, I've got a few tricks up my sleeve to increase flow/pressure, but I don't think you would need any... If you do, let me know! They're also on the net if you do a search...
Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

mine assisted a little much for me. but i never had any leakage
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Go to the junk yard and get you a mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box and the steering box side of the rag-joint from a 81-87 Chevy pickup. This will bring you down to 12.7:1 ratio and has metric fittings so you use your stock LS lines/fittings or search for usable oe replacement lines from auto zone or similar. I have this on my Olds and its a great upgrade over spending $300+ for an aftermarket box to net the same results. I gave $75 for my box and rag-joint
Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Go to the junk yard and get you a mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box and the steering box side of the rag-joint from a 81-87 Chevy pickup. This will bring you down to 12.7:1 ratio and has metric fittings so you use your stock LS lines/fittings or search for usable oe replacement lines from auto zone or similar. I have this on my Olds and its a great upgrade over spending $300+ for an aftermarket box to net the same results. I gave $75 for my box and rag-joint
A 98-99 Dodge Durango has a better box. The power steering portion on the newer Jeep boxes are typically sloppy, causing a little bit of extra turning before the box reacts. The Durango box isn't this way and is finding it's way into a lot of Jeep's. Also, I believe the newer Jeep boxes are all variable rate while the Durango is not.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

I believe 93-97 is the Jeep years, never heard of the Durango box in an A-body. Cool info.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
I believe 93-97 is the Jeep years, never heard of the Durango box in an A-body. Cool info.
CJ and YJ's have the better steering gears... YJ's were up to 95 - Jeep didn't make a Wrangler in 96. 97 and up Wranglers are the junk ones. I'm not positive if it translates over to the XJ's for the same years? The Durango box is a bolt in swap for Wranglers up to 02 - 03 they went to a box made by Mercedes. Which is a good box, but has the same 'loose' feeling as the others.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Thanks for your info guys, if you have experienced no real problems I,ll go with what I,ve got and see how it goes. The Jeep or Durango swap is not so easy as I forgot to mention I live in England and these are not so common in yards here.( the LS1 motor was enough of a headache).

Quick Reply: Power steering pump