Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need opinions please on what to use

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need opinions please on what to use

hey guys whats going on i have a 1989 mustang lx hatch that im going to be swapping an lsx into, i have an AJE 4.6 mod k member which i got for free, so im going to use that seeing i can , now the thing is i wanted to throw a 6.0/th360 in, but a local guy offered me a complete 2003 5.3 for 500 bucks or the long block since im going carb for 350 bucks, now my questions are, what cam would you guys recommend, i was thinking an ls7 cam or maybe an ms3 , it has 706 casting heads, he is also including Tsp pushrods and valve spring, are these good heads? and based the on the cam , the vic jr intake and a carb what tq converter would you recommend ? also what needs to be done for the th350 to bolt to the 5.3? i know the bell housing bolt pattern is the same , sorry for the long post just new to the ls series engines and want to make a mid 11 second car

Edit: also i know i need an fbody oil pan and pick up tube, another question, does the msd 6ls come with the harness to connet to the coils, cam sensor and crank sensor?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

iam doing the th400 to ls1 swap right now, i guess this would be about the same but not 100%. You would need a spacer since the stall would be short of hitting the flexplate, or like iam doing just have the stall made with the spacer welded on already to go.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Teching In

i found this
http://advanceadapters.com/product/3...smissions.html

also can i use a 5.0 radiator or do i have to switch to a GM
Old 01-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Might wanna save a few bucks and use this if you already have a stock flat flexplate, if not you could find one on here for ~$20-25.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1343C120.aspx

5.3L in that car is a strong performer, compression would be 9.5:1 stock. I would mill the heads and use a thinner head gasket to up it a lil. Going to a larger head is of no use, as those heads are essentially copies of the LS6 heads, just smaller runner and chambers.

As for the cam choice, unless you are modding the bottom end you will want to watch PTVC. Flycutting might be needed to fit some larger cams. I would suggest sending a PM to PredatorZ or PatrickG for them to spec you a cam you will not be sorry i promise.

Here is the info on the heads,
Casting Number 706
Combustion Chamber Volume: 61.15cc
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Intake Port Volume: 200cc
Exhaust Port Volume: 70cc
Intake Valve Diameter: 1.89 inches
Exhaust Valve Diameter: 1.55 inches

No the MSD box does not come with the harness, stay away from the edelbrock intake/MSD box combo that box can't be tuned via laptop, it uses preprogrammed pills that are not all that great for modded engines. For the bare intake check out Scoggin Dickey they sell them pretty cheap just look for the carbed version not the EFI one they are more pricey of course.

Last edited by djsanchez2; 01-07-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Teching In

THANK YOU very much this is very helpful, i have heard the horror stories of the eddy/msd box, but how about the 6ls is that a good box? if not then what would you recommend ,i have a spare digital dis-4 here but thats for wasted spark not COP set up as for the heads i was thinking of sending them to get milled and a little P&P , a friend of mine can flycut the pistons so i was wondering about whether or not it was needed but thank you very much
Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

If you keep the stock coils you will need to use the MSD6010 box, i believe it is the only one that is made to work with them.

Patriot will CNC stock heads for $600, that is what i have been thinking of doing with mine. Then depending on the cam you use, u can decide on springs.

Just rememeber these spring specs:
LS6 yellow = .560 lift
LS6 blue stripe = .580 lift

That could save you a bit of cash should they fit the cam spec'd for you app.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To your question about the MSD boxes. *djsanchez2* is mistaken about the harness. Both the 6010 and the 6012 DO come with the harness. I have the 6010 which is what you will use on your 2003 5.3. Your engine should have the 24x reluctor. Mine is carbureted and the harness comes with harness to plug into the crank sensor, cam sensor, the coils, and MAP sensor. It has separate wires to ground it and a wire for the tach signal. It also has a separate harness you can plug in for a programable retard if you need it. He is right about not using the Edelbrock box, although one member on here says that the box that comes with the Vic Jr. IS programable. Personally, I would ALWAYS buy the MSD box and not take the chance. The MSD box also comes with 6 of the pre-programed pills, but it is programable to whatever your heart desires,also. Hope this helps! Ron

Last edited by rojs234; 01-08-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: made an error
Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Teching In

thank you very much , now my last question for now is the radiator, it looks like in everyones pics the intlet for the w/p is on the p/s of the engine, in the same spot as the 5.0? why does it seem like everyone uses Fbody rads?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Hey found this JEGS sells the box with the harness for less than anywhere i have seen. **** i'm gonna pick one up when i get my tax return

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/6010/10002/-1