Another 1968 Camaro LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Another 1968 Camaro LS swap

here is a pic of my project,
1968 Camaro

not the greatest shot but its all i have for now.
currently has a 427 "Dart" small block with a glide, Ford 9", 4.30 gears, etc etc etc etc etc.
i just purchased a 2007 LQ4 45,000 with a 4l80,acc,wiring,and ecm.
i have a few questions for you's guys and i was hoping you could assist.
1st- oil pans???? i know the f-body can be modified. why are they being modified?
was thinking of using the moroso 20141 pan?
i am wanting to use the Hooker stuff. "headers and mounts. i have even thought of using Edelbrock stuff, their mounts set the motor back as well and there headers i think are 13/4" primaries to 17/8 to a 3" collector.
i will have a power steering gear box. the car currently has a power steering gear box,but have been using it as manual. will there be any interference with either of the 2?
what do you guys suggest? that know about this swap.
2nd- Transmission, i am wanting to use the 4l80.
i do not care about the power consumptions of the "80". i want to use what i have,"you know".
can i even use the "80".
also wanting to use the hydro boost,my power steering pump has the provisions for it, so therefore i would really like to use it, just in case of no vacuum do to the cam.
thanks
Ed
Old 01-11-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

pic of my oil pan in my chevelle,, i dont kno if it would work for ur camaro.. i swap a 454 back in forth betwwen my chevelle an 68 camaro,oil pan seem the same..correct me if im wrong..
i love the 4l80e,,tuff trans,, if u plan on building some big power..cant go wrong with it,,goood luck with ur build.. u will find these things can get exspensive quick,,
Attached Thumbnails Another 1968 Camaro LS swap-109_0178.jpg  
Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

a new torque convertor will help the power consumption of the 80 alot. the stock tc is really heavy compared to a nice aftermarket one.

you should also get new gears. the 4.30's are really low.

are you going to convert your harness yourself? i suggest you do, very easy and will save you money.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Teching In

I'm doing the same swap right now, LQ4 except i sold the 4L80 to use a t56. first questioon is about the oil pan. the steering linkage will hit the pan unless you modify the f body pan or use that moroso pan you are looking at. I decided on the modified f body pan as i already had the pan and didn't want to deal with relocating the filter and all the related hoses and fitting involved.

headers, I haven't decided yet. I was looking at a set of doug thorley headers today. I am still researching. Others i know have used street and performance headers and a set of stainless steel headers from ATS. The year one camaro had the nices headers I have seen with excellent ground clearance, they didn't even hang below the frame rails. they also sell them as a set with the engine and tranny mounts. After looking at all the components the package price isn't that bad.

I am also running a gear box power steering. I think you should be fine with the moroso pan. I have seen it on a car and he really liked it.

4L80's are stronger than 4L60, so if you don't mind the final overdrive gear it is a good choice.

Make it easy on yourself and keep it together, your harness if you use the harness that came with the motor, will already have the right connectos and your pcm is already programmed for the 4L80.

unless you swap in a big cam, you should not have any issue with vacuum. Hydroboost is nice if that is your choice. Either way you wont go wrong.

you can look see my build if you like http://www.cardomain.com/id/aray327
Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
a new torque convertor will help the power consumption of the 80 alot. the stock tc is really heavy compared to a nice aftermarket one.

are you going to convert your harness yourself? i suggest you do, very easy and will save you money.
nope them 4.30s will be "EXCELLENT" the final drive will be like 3.55s
it will be way cool.
you have a pm
Old 01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned

well i tore the motor down for some cleaning and the motor looks excellent.
i left the heads on,just tore it down enough to do the cam swap and springs.
gotta a question i have 2 cams to choose from.
1- 2002-04 Z06 204-218/550
2- 232/242-589-601 112
i will run the 4l80 and 4.30s an i will drive on the street to local GTG and shows
Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sine you're going as radical as 4.30s (and running 30" tires i hope) I would highly suggest the 232/242 cam. The Z06 cam is tiny and was designed for a 5.7l with almost a full point of compression more than you 6.0L youre going to just waste that engine potential with the Z06 cam. Being your pistons are dished i dont think you should run into any PTVC proclems with the 232/242 but why not jsut get a custom ground cam for your setup? That cam just doesnt seem ideal for your setup unless you're going to run L92 heads.

I am running that moroso pan. It requires a $90 oil pick up and a remote mount oil filter setup. The pans fittings at -10an.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Sine you're going as radical as 4.30s (and running 30" tires i hope) I would highly suggest the 232/242 cam. The Z06 cam is tiny and was designed for a 5.7l with almost a full point of compression more than you 6.0L youre going to just waste that engine potential with the Z06 cam. Being your pistons are dished i dont think you should run into any PTVC proclems with the 232/242 but why not jsut get a custom ground cam for your setup? That cam just doesnt seem ideal for your setup unless you're going to run L92 heads.

I am running that moroso pan. It requires a $90 oil pick up and a remote mount oil filter setup. The pans fittings at -10an.
Shawn im glad you see it the way i do on the cam. my big concern was running a decent cam and the Compression not being up to par.
the 4.30s i think will be a great addition to the build up most of these cars that are running these big cams dont really have alot of "dig" power thats what im looking for.
im not looking to run 100+ on the highway for along period of time. you know. that doesnt excite me, it scares me. but a 100 on a1/8 or 1/4 now your talking
moroso pan and pick up. yea, i hear ya its already part of my build plan,seems that you might of suggested a different pan?
my car currently runs a remote oil filter system so thats really ok with me,my engine builder highly suggested a remote with the LS motors anyways, so i will go with that idea
Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Well i was thinking 4.30s more for driveability. In 4th gear with a .70 4th gear drive, 4.30 rear and 26" tires you will be turning 2500rpm at 60mph and 3000rpm at 75 mph. Not sure how fast you planned on driving for extended periods that all.

The moroso pan is a great pan some just dont know it needs a remote mount filter. I didnt when i bought it a couple years ago. I hope you're going to replace your oil pump while you have it apart to. I ended up going with an LPE Lingefellter high volume pump and i left the high pressure spring in. I see 70psi hot idle and around 85 or so cruising with the pump. 100psi WOT. You could just put in the normal pressure spring thats included to reduce the pressure. The oil pump is really one of those things thats a good idea to change when you do a cam swap.

Nah i dont still have the stock intake i sold all of the EFI stuff to run carbureted. I sold all the stuff off the LS4 in my dining room because its going to be carbureted too haha.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Banned

dang sure aint running 26s,i will run 275-60-15 or a 315 drag radial.
high pressure oil pump 100psi "DAMN" you just run on the track i hope.
the bottom end would be starving for some oil,driving around.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Well 26" is the height, not the width. A 275-60-15 is a 28" tire and thats about as wide as you can fit. Even that may be close. Before i swapped out my 68 pontiac rear end i could barely (by a 1/4") clear the shock absorber and wheel well with 26x10.5 MT ET Drags. when i installed my 74 Nova 8.5" i found it to be 7/8" more narrow and now my wheels rubbed the wheel well so i ended up mini tubing it and running the 315s which are about 3/8" from my leaf spring. I mounted the shocks inward and cut the wheel well back to the frame rail.

The engine doesnt starve for oil, i drive it all around. It takes about 9qts to fill the system up so it never really starves itself. The pan has a good sump and ive not had the lifter tray draining issue. I've beat on the engine plenty enough playing against my friend 600 on the highway. If any starvation would have orrcured it would have been on the 5500rpm cruising rpm and 140mph runs there.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Well 26" is the height, not the width. A 275-60-15 is a 28" tire and thats about as wide as you can fit. Even that may be close. Before i swapped out my 68 pontiac rear end i could barely (by a 1/4") clear the shock absorber and wheel well with 26x10.5 MT ET Drags. when i installed my 74 Nova 8.5" i found it to be 7/8" more narrow and now my wheels rubbed the wheel well so i ended up mini tubing it and running the 315s which are about 3/8" from my leaf spring. I mounted the shocks inward and cut the wheel well back to the frame rail.

The engine doesnt starve for oil, i drive it all around. It takes about 9qts to fill the system up so it never really starves itself. The pan has a good sump and ive not had the lifter tray draining issue. I've beat on the engine plenty enough playing against my friend 600 on the highway. If any starvation would have orrcured it would have been on the 5500rpm cruising rpm and 140mph runs there.
i have run a 29x9. i currently run a 28x10.5 with no issues
Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

That will be perfect. I did the same thing. Ran 4.56s and a taller tire. I'd rather loose the gearing with a taller side wall to absorb to launch and hook up immediately. It worked so well i hopped the rear end out of the spring pearches. I had to remove the rubber pads and weld a 3/8" spacer plate to my traction bar to keep the locating tabs from coming out.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

cool deal. im excited about the swap but i can only do so much in a short period of time.
i talked to the friend who has the cams, he decided now he wants to use the bigger cam,so i may just get one speced out for my car.
i just hope the 4l80 will fit. i will not start hacking at the car,the car has "NEVER" been hacked on thats the reason i bought the car.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Haha thats the exact opposite reason i bought my car. Replace drive side floor pans, trunk pan needs replace, quarters were rusted through. I cut it all apart and replaced it with sheet metal. $450 mini tub kit? Nope $60 in aluminum and steel from Lowes. I wanted to be able to hack my car apart and not be afraid to abuse it

I've never had a 4l80e is so i am not sure about the dimensions on them. I couldnt imagine it being much bigger than a T56.

PM Predator Z or Patrick G either of them can spec you a cam, Pat G charges like $30 or something i think.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Launching!

my hooker headers worked just fine with a little perswation. I got an oil pan from BRP. The biggest prob i had was with ex brackerts. nothing worked until i went with the vintage air front runner setup
Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Launching!

I have a 68 convertible with a 6.0. I am running the Hooker mounting plates and headers, which is what you said you were looking at I think. I did not have to modify the f body pan to clear my center link, and no problems with the pitman arm hitting the headers either. Pretty happy with where the engine sits in there, in relation to the fire wall.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

well that is some goooood news.
gotta buy a dish washer first then i can buy some HOOKERS!!!
LOL
Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Banned

here is some stuff for you guys to read up on if you havent already.
i am working hard at it trying to get all the info i can.
thanks
Ed
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Streetstori...ls1camaro1.htm

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/68CamaroBlower.pdf

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/68...e%20Camaro.pdf

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/69LS2Camaro.pdf
Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987

i dont mean to hijack the thread, but i've looked on here at some of the harness stuff and it seemed complicated and mostly based on ls1 harness's and pcm's.. i have a complete donor truck with an LQ9 and 4l70e that i'm swapping into my nova on a budget.. anything i can do my self i would like to so if anyone can point me in the direction of some diagrams or step by step details of how to do the harness my self i would be very greatful!.
TIA.

Quick Reply: Another 1968 Camaro LS swap